Good idea or not?

bullett243

I have been shooting a few long range targets recently, and after watching the "art of the precision rifle" series of dvd's, I got a bit ocsessed with checking rifle cant.

I got sick of having to take my head off the stock to check the picatinny mounted level, so thought about this.

Its a digital spirit level, which is adjustable for sensitivity and brightness, with auto power off function (after 15 mins of no use).

I machined a mount in the mill, and put it on to try.

The green led indicates level, a blue shows slightly off, and red for completely off level.

I can now see the led's with my head on the stock, whilst looking through the scope.

I'm yet to try it on the range.

What ye reckon?

IMG-20120614-00321.jpg

IMG-20120614-00323.jpg

IMG-20120614-00322.jpg

IMG-20120614-00325.jpg

IMG-20120614-00326.jpg

Oh, and yes, I need to clean my scope lens :blush:

Thats a great idea mate.

I remember years ago, i had a similar thing made by a guy called Graham Bluck, the guy who designed the dragon air rifle. It was basically the same, but the led,s were inside the box, and there were two fibre optic cables attached to them. You mounted it just the same way, but threaded the fibre optic cables inside a rubber scope cap, or butler creek. It had a mercury tilt switch inside, and if you canted the gun, one of them came on, on the corresponding side. It was just in the edge of vision and worked superbly.

Where did you get yours from ?

bullett243 you made that? - wow.

How adjustable is the sensitivity?

I like the idea of a 'traffic light'that you can monitor through peripheral vision.

Similar (but looks better) idea to the DEROS levels: http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=9&Itemid=2

They are supposed to be quite useflu, the commercial ones I beleive have adjustable sensitivity:

http://www.riflescopelevel.com/index.html

T

Blimey, those look like they're running on valves!

Think this is what bullett's adapted : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaroid-Hot-Shoe-Digital-LED-Spirit-Level-For-Digital-Cameras-Camcorders-/160740110297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item256cdb6fd9

nice idea!

It's a good idea, but ideally like a SLR camera, you want to look through the eyepiece see key data beside the reticle. The second issue would then be how really true the scope up with respect to the action. The more I look at this area and struggle with setting up scopes, the more I am convinced there's an up market opportunity for someone to sell themselves as a scope installer. However, people would think twice about the price they would be charged for a guaranteed scope mounting job.

I would like to take my rifle and scope to someone and say, join these two together with the scope optically centred.

Regards JCS

Hi,

Nice idea and set up. I was trying to remember where I had seen something similar and just as I remembered Brown Dog beat me to it! - Alamo Four Star,

Alan

Thats a great idea mate.

I remember years ago, i had a similar thing made by a guy called Graham Bluck, the guy who designed the dragon air rifle. It was basically the same, but the led,s were inside the box, and there were two fibre optic cables attached to them. You mounted it just the same way, but threaded the fibre optic cables inside a rubber scope cap, or butler creek. It had a mercury tilt switch inside, and if you canted the gun, one of them came on, on the corresponding side. It was just in the edge of vision and worked superbly.

Where did you get yours from ?

I got it as below mate ;)

I just made a mount in the milling machine to suit and job done :)

bullett243 you made that? - wow.

How adjustable is the sensitivity?

I like the idea of a 'traffic light'that you can monitor through peripheral vision.

Similar (but looks better) idea to the DEROS levels: http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=9&Itemid=2

Blimey, those look like they're running on valves!

Think this is what bullett's adapted : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaroid-Hot-Shoe-Digital-LED-Spirit-Level-For-Digital-Cameras-Camcorders-/160740110297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item256cdb6fd9

nice idea!

Thats the thing!

The sensitivity can be set pretty high, I calibrated it to my picatinny bubble level, so that it was green when the bubble was perfectly centre. As soon as the bubble touched the line on either side of the centre mark, the digital level changed to blue.

I would have thought that would be close enough?

Cheers

I have a microlevel sat here in its box that I never got around to fitting :blush:

I met Warren (the designer) out in the US many years ago. He is a really nice guy and his product is excellent. Not as cheap as the ebay item I'll admit but you dont have to have a mill to be able to install it1

MArk

I have a microlevel sat here in its box that I never got around to fitting :blush:

I met Warren (the designer) out in the US many years ago. He is a really nice guy and his product is excellent. Not as cheap as the ebay item I'll admit but you dont have to have a mill to be able to install it1

MArk

Hi mate, havent seen the microlevel, will have to check it out.

The mount only took five minutes to make, just skimmed a 30mm airgun mount down.

Bullet I think this is great how much to make me one fir my nightforce

atb rob

How much are some airgun mounts? I had one loose one lying around. I could get some and machine them easily if you wanted?

Cant see them being expensive, 15 quid a mount or something?

Archived