HELP & QUESTIONS ABOUT BEDDING AN ACTION

Hello all

A few lines to tell you what Ive done so far and also what I would like to do next , recently I took some drastic action to my Remington model 7 .204 rifle . After having a bad day with the rifle I decided to take some drastic action and free float the barrel stiffen the stock and lighten the trigger .

The next day armed with some files , 400&600 grit sand paper, some car repair fibreglass and wooden dowels of different diameters I set to work , I removed the stock from the rifle measured what bits I wanted removed and set to work with the files ,after this I used the dowels and sand paper to remove where the channels in the stock touched the barrel . After checking it was free floating I used the fibreglass to fill in the channels to try and stiffen and strengthen the stock .

I left it 24hrs then re-sanded the fibreglass smooth , fitted stock back on the rifle I rechecked the it fully free floated and made the trigger lighter .

I went out to re-zero and check if any improvement was made, I placed a target 100m away forgot the bags so only had the bi-pod to help.

First couple of shots were just bringing rifle back to zero (1 high@100m) then armed with the limited amount of ammo I had left (as was going out chasing foxes) I decided to shoot a few groups .

To say I was impressed is an understatement I shot 3 x 3shot groups about 10-20sec between shots the groups were two at 0.4 and one at 0.3 all groups had two bullets holes touching and the 3rd just stepped off (I did rush 3rd shot on each string)

The free floating , stiffening of the stock and lightening the trigger really made a huge difference to the overall performance of this little gun when I totted up the cost of the alterations it came to the costly sum of £7-99 and took 3hrs in total to carry out well worth the time and money .

Im happy with the grouping and really enjoyed the tinkering with the rifle I still not happy with the stock as its got this cheap plastic feel and I do love thumbhole stocks.

So Im thinking I would love to not just get a new stock for the rifle but doing a fully bedding job as well , Im thinking of a laminate thumbhole stock from Boyds .

Ive done a bit of research and reading up with plenty of watching it being done on youtube ……now for my silly questions.

1/ where do I get pillars for the pillar bedding (are they off the shelf or will I have to make them )

2/ Bedding compound ….everybody seems to use Devcon what type Aluminium ,titanium ,steal or what else could I use.

3/ How much bedding compound do I need , where do I get it from and cost.

4/ Apart from Boyds what other stock manufacture can you recommend (thumbhole laminate )

I hope someone out there can help as Im feel very apprehensive about this project .

Regards ….Neil

Hi mate, you've got a foxing rifle doing .3-.4 moa with you're cheap free floating job, I would leave it as it is the foxes won't notice the difference if you put a new stock on it! save up for something nice. Atb Simon

1/ where do I get pillars for the pillar bedding (are they off the shelf or will I have to make them )

2/ Bedding compound ….everybody seems to use Devcon what type Aluminium ,titanium ,steal or what else could I use.

3/ How much bedding compound do I need , where do I get it from and cost.

4/ Apart from Boyds what other stock manufacture can you recommend (thumbhole laminate )

Some answers;

1 - Make them yourself or have someone machine them, they need to be measured to fit your action / stock

2 - Devcon Putty A, thats what I use, nothing else.

3 - Buy a 500 gm pot, you will use 150 gms (ish), indutrial engineering suppliers will stock it and its circa 50 gbp per tub

4 - loads of laminate makers - use the (google) force...

There is no need to buy laminate stocks abroad at all. We now have a very competent maker indeed in the form of Joe and Simon West. They will make you whatever you want at a very reasonable price indeed. The quality is better than any of the american brands.

www.joewestriflestocks.co.uk

There is no need to buy laminate stocks abroad at all. We now have a very competent maker indeed in the form of Joe and Simon West. They will make you whatever you want at a very reasonable price indeed. The quality is better than any of the american brands.

Spot on Dave.

I was talking to Simon and Jo at the Phoenix Saturday and their stocks really are outstanding, also they are very flexible so if you want something different they will do their utmost to accommodate.

Hi,

Most people use Devcon Steel, it's also available from Buck & Hickman who have branches all over the UK. When fitting pillars ensure that you use a piloted cutter (from Brownells or similar) to ensure they are in-line with the existing holes, leave enough room on top of the pillars for the Devcon,

Alan

I got my Devcon from Lawson HIS My link

If you are struggling for pillars I've got 4 or 5 sets kicking about, I could pop some in the post for you. They are one length and would need trimming or milling to length once installed.

I had no clue about Joe West Rifle stocks! Thanks Baldie for posting that link, the more that we can get from the UK the better.

I have a joe west stock on test atm. Overall the shape is good, they are happy to vary profiles and styles but it is a rough blank and needs a fair amount of tweaking bedding and finishing but the options and prices should make them a good buy. They arent a 99% drop in like a boyd but anyone worth their salt will bed any stock before expecting top performance anyway.

Another source for devcon is cromwells engineering supplies, its about 32 quid

I have a joe west stock on test atm. Overall the shape is good, they are happy to vary profiles and styles but it is a rough blank and needs a fair amount of tweaking bedding and finishing but the options and prices should make them a good buy. They arent a 99% drop in like a boyd but anyone worth their salt will bed any stock before expecting top performance anyway.

Another source for devcon is cromwells engineering supplies, its about 32 quid

Chris

Very alarmed to see your response as I personally fitted an action into your stock before it left the workshop, as we dowith every stock if we have an action available,it was also sanded to 180grit.

Simon

Archived