Darryl, you,ve won the factory sporter benchrest class mate, get in touch with Vince. It was the awards today.I got 2nd in the mcqueens series ;) Well done mate.

I saw the name in this months target sports and thought it might be him using that there sako ppc, though I am sure there was a bit of skill invloved too :lol: congrats.

Congrats to you as well baldie, what rifle did you use?

My season hasnt went so well, I shoot target rimfire prone at 15m, had a good season full of 75's then the last 3 went to crap one down at 68 so I have have cocked up my chances of winning the leauge (funnily enough it all went to crap when I go the tac20, spent too much time shooting it and not enough time with the target rifle). Didnt do so bad in classic rifle though think I am fourth at the minute which I can live with. There is a one off sporting rifle comp after christmas that I plan on winning though.

I slipped up craig, and used a .223 speedy for the first couple of shoots, then missed a shoot due to being away. I then switched to the 6mmbr, and had much better success. I was only 3 bloody points off the winner, Rob hunter, and i think if i,d have used the 6mm from the start, i could have won. Such is life. I,ve just finished a 6.5x47 mag fed RPA , purely for this discipline, however, on shooting it in, and its subsequent performance with various loads, the gun will also be used for tactical too, and its accurate enough for benchrest aswell...an absolutely unbelievable cartridge.

Orca, data is a little thin on the ground, one of the guys here ran me a few loads through quickload, and that got me set up. The cartridge is designed to be run hard. I am using 123 grain scenars in it, and have tiny one hole groups with it going at 2950 fps, thats with reloder 15, but it showed pressure signs at max loads. However, i easily got it to 3000 fps, with plenty to spare, with vhit 540, but the groups opened up to half an inch.

Unfortunatly, this cartridge is run on a .308 bolt face, so your 6.5x55 will have too big a bolt face, as its slightly larger. However, i,ve heard of people doing it, just as some run a 6ppc on a .308 bolt face.....but its not something i would do.

Hi baldie,

Thanks for the heads up, I knew on the last comp that i had won ;) ,But the chap who had the trophy did not turn up with it ;)

Vince did e-mail me to say that he had got the trophy, But It is so far from were i live ,To go just to pick it up, I think that i will wait untill march for the first comp and get it then???

Baldie, tell us more about your 6mm that you are using????

I am racking my brains trying to think of a new rifle for next year???

For the factory class, ( bench rest)

And the mcqwueens, I fancy having a go at that next year???

My sako has had nearly 4000 rounds down the tube, so i cannot see it being any good much longer??

I think that i will just use it For foxing??

I did phone gmk And they said that sako would not send a barrel to me,,,,,But they would do the job for me but the wait would be over five months,,, Now that is that which promotes growth and vigour

Could put a custom barrel on it but then i would not be able to shoot in the factory class :D

Any way My mate, Well done on your result for this year, And a happy christmas from wales :lol:

All the best darrel

Hi Darryl,

The 6mm is a 6mmbr. Its a sako 75, fitted with a border "archer" barrel, which if i remember right, is a t2 profile.Its a 1 in 8" twist, and is throated specifically for 105 grain berger vld,s.Its fitted with a jard trigger conversion, and a mcmillan a5 stock.I permanently fitted a single shot loading tray into the magazine, which can still be removed if ever i need to run a mag again, but it actually fed averagly considering its a 6mmbr. I love the gun, and the cartridge, its a superb calibre for mcqueens, the only drawback with it, is it needs single feeding, which is ok for mcqueens, but i tend to panic a little so i,m switching to a mag fed gun.

If you are fancying mcqueens, you have the perfect gun already. If the barrel is getting past competitive benchrest, it certainly isnt past mcqueens, where that minute loss of accuracy, makes no difference when trying to hit the huns head, when its only up for 3 seconds. Its shot at 200, and 300 yards....perfect for a ppc, and i know from experience that a 6mm, or fast 6.5 cannot be beaten on the diggle mcqueens range, where the wind can be downright impossible at times. A fast 6 mm, or 6.5 will keep you on the head, if the wind changes, whereas a .308, will get blown right off. A lot use .308, because its what they have, but its far from ideal, as is .223, because of the 300 yard shots, and the wind. A 300 win mag does well though, as a guy regularly uses one to great effect.

Get yourself up to the next one mate, on the 6th of Jan, but beware, one go, and i guarantee you will be hooked ;) A 4-16 scope is perfect, as you dont go high mag, as you need to be able to see all the wall at once, and you need 24 rounds for the day............go on, you know you want to...... ;)

heres the sako.

S4300348.jpg

I will be there shooting this gun Darryl, as the new one still requires a fiddle or two. You are more than welcome to come and shoot this gun if you wish, as its set up perfectly for mcqueens......i,m never short of ammo :lol:

Darryl

if you contact "our mutual friend in the North", he has just specced a reamer from Kiff, throated for 123 Scenars and with minimal turn neck for my own 6.5x47 build.

I'm sure that a barrel could be chambered for you with that reamer if you asked nicely :lol:

Baldie, thank you for the offer, If i can get there in january i will???

Perhaps i could pick up the tropy from vince at the same time???

Dave , this is why i was thinking, alpine uniqe in 6br, Or a sig 205 phantom in 6br, or a french alpine in the same 6br

Alpine uniqe Is i think about 2700 pounds

Don,t know what the sig is,?????

French alpine is about 1700

Dont know what is the best to go for???, Could all of them be used for factory comps

All the best darrel

Darryl

if you contact "our mutual friend in the North", he has just specced a reamer from Kiff, throated for 123 Scenars and with minimal turn neck for my own 6.5x47 build.

I'm sure that a barrel could be chambered for you with that reamer if you asked nicely :D

Ronin, Now you and baldie have got my brian in overdrive :lol:;);)

You never know what might be at the bottom of the bed when i wake up :P:P

All the best from wales Darrel

Well done Darrel and well done Baldie!!!! :lol: :lol:

Proud of you guys.................................... ;):lol:

All the very best.................

RAY.................................... ;) ;)

Archived