Gongs

Hello all people keep telling me about target gongs and about how good they are! Where do you buy these and how much do they cost?? Have got some scope no pun inteneded to put these out to about 650yards just wondered are there good ones bad ones etc... Any info would be great

Regards Rob

Hello all people keep telling me about target gongs and about how good they are! Where do you buy these and how much do they cost?? Have got some scope no pun inteneded to put these out to about 650yards just wondered are there good ones bad ones etc... Any info would be great

Regards Rob

Rob,

Bruce Hutton on the board makes them: http://www.brucehutton.webs.com/apps/webstore/

Regards Rob

I have been using Bruces Hardox Steel Gongs for some time now. they have taken a serious beating with 223/243/308, and I will be getting a few more next chance I get to call in to the work shop based in LLandrindod Wells Powys. Highly recommended !

ATB

I have been using Bruces Hardox Steel Gongs for some time now. they have taken a serious beating with 223/243/308, and I will be getting a few more next chance I get to call in to the work shop based in LLandrindod Wells Powys. Highly recommended !

ATB

+1

Great gongs and superb customer service from Bruce and his wife Tracy.

Steve

Being a Yorkshireman i thought i would save some money and make some gongs from some half inch mild steel plate at work. At 300 yards my 30-06 AI punched straight through and thats with a 175 Berger Hunting Bullet! At 500 yards they dent the gong but just fail to penetrate. All ok at 900 yards though. I need to buy some proper gongs :blush: .

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how the smaller gongs (100mm) cope with and react to, hits with .30 at ranges as near as 100yds?

What is the best way that you have found to hang them? I am looking at positioning them on steep shale banks so need an alternative to the stands.

Rup

Can anyone tell me how the smaller gongs (100mm) cope with and react to, hits with .30 at ranges as near as 100yds?

What is the best way that you have found to hang them? I am looking at positioning them on steep shale banks so need an alternative to the stands.

Rup

I hang mine off a chain in a frame and they seem to fail after about 100 shots, chains snap from spinning around usually, will try dig out a pic.

Gandy

Gents,

I've used metal gongs in the past and have found that (after talking to a steel target maker in the US) that if you angle the gong slightly i.e. don't shoot it flat on, that they last longer. Something to do with the way it alows more planes of movement, rather than trying to accelerate the flat plate directly away from you when hit 'square on'.

Terry

Gents,

I've used metal gongs in the past and have found that (after talking to a steel target maker in the US) that if you angle the gong slightly i.e. don't shoot it flat on, that they last longer. Something to do with the way it alows more planes of movement, rather than trying to accelerate the flat plate directly away from you when hit 'square on'.

Terry

Terry,

I agree, my point is in mounting them at an angle to prevent a square hit causes rotation and that repeated rotation breaks the mounting point or chain eventually.

Gandy

Gandy,

Hanging the gong's always a problem, pretty nasty enviroment when you think of it :)

Slightly longer chains or use long link alloy chain pehaps?

I'll have a dig out of what we used to do.

Terry

Archived