.308 What to buy now ??

Hiya Chaps..

Well i managed to sell my Parker Hale .308 yesterday and make a complete pratt of myself into the bargain.

The meeting place for my prospective buyer to try the gun out was Bisley, Century 600yds to be precise.

Having spoken to him earlier in the morn he said "see you in 45"..

Well sure enough, 45 mins later, a car pulls up next to mine and a guy gets out looking like he was lookng for someone.

"Ah, there's my man" i say to my club fellows having told them i would have a guest trying out my rifle.

"Steve?" i shout at the guy... "Yeah" he says... So i take him to the back of my truck, take out the Parker and plonk it in his hands, expecting him to give it the once over before deciding if he wants to shoot it or not.

He just stands there with his mouth open looking at me then the rifle and me again.

"Well you want to try it out?"

"That's very kind of you but i'm looking for the caps (whatever that is) comp. They're shooting at 200 yards."

He was a Steve alright.... But not my Steve....lol..

Damn did i get some stick from the guys.....

Well the right Steve turns up 15 later, tries the Parker and hands over the money.... Sorted.....

So chaps... what am i gonna buy???

It's gotta be .308.....why? Cos i wont always want to load for it and RG surplus is still fairly cheap at the mo..

Bare in mind that RG is 7.62 and not a true .308 win, so a rifle with a short throat would be ideal or so i'm told... Or is that cobblers?

£800 is my limit so no custom jobs.

Howa, Browning "A" bolt Eclipse maybe, ... Dunno... What do you think..?

I want a varminter profile, no stalkers with skinny barrels. Laminated stock or plastic if it's pillar bedded..

Gimme some ideas lads, i'd appreciate it...

There's a Tikka M55 in 308 with heavy barrel in a deluxe wooden stock in Litts for £395. A lot of change for mounts and scope there from your budget.....

Not a bit of plastic in sight and the triggers will normally adjust to a crisp 1 1/2 lbs with no problem.

Hi Streeker,

if I was in your shoes, the only rifle for that sort of money is the Tikka Varmint or Tikka Tactical (www.tikka.fi), if an older version doesn't take your fancy.

I have yet to read a bad thing about them and everyone who I have talked to and has one, they think its the mutt's nutts. Pitty they don't make them left-handed... (well they do the Varmint... need to find some space in the cabinet ;-))

Hope this helps,

best wishes,

There's a Tikka M55 in 308 with heavy barrel in a deluxe wooden stock in Litts for £395. A lot of change for mounts and scope there from your budget.....

Not a bit of plastic in sight and the triggers will normally adjust to a crisp 1 1/2 lbs with no problem.

How did you find that M55? I've been on the Litts site but cant find it mate..

Regards...

Scratch that mate. Called Litts. They are gonna take some pics for me & email em to me...

Must admit the T3 is also a good bet at the mo, thanks Finman...

Hi Streaker,

Seeing as you are not keen on Remmy's, how about a Mod 70 Stealth, heavy barrel, composite stock with aluminium bedding block and superbly accurate.

I had one in 300 WSM which would shoot in the .200" @100yds with 155 Scenars

Minsterly_Pics_005.JPG

These are still available new and Wilson & Wilson Fieldsports in Kent have them in 308.

Ian

Thanks Ian.. I notice you had a Parker Hale bipod on that rifle and a hand stop.. Unusual combination for a varminter.. Didn't you find the bipod a bit sloppy compared to a Harris?

My wife used to have a Winchester Coyote in .223. It was a cracking rifle so another to add to the list. Wilsons have a Browing A bolt varminter in stock also.

Maybe i should pay them a visit and cop a feel of what they have..lol.

Oh Ian i found a pic of the RPA i had. Pity i could never get it to shoot...

RPA_interceptor.jpg

Hi Streaker,

Its a Versa-Pod mate, a cheaper but very well made copy of the Parker Hale that fits onto the front sling stud rather then an accessary rail.

I am in a minority in that i prefer the versa-pod over the harris, the tilt and twist of the versa-pod suit my shooting style far better then the harris.

I have one with skid type feet and one with rubber feet which i can interchange between rifles very quickly to suit the surroundings.

Ian

Surely a Steyr SSG has to be on the shortlist? I bought one last year and it shoots sub half-inch with any well-made loads. I've yet to hear of an SSG that didn't shoot well and the barrels seem to last and last. They come with a 5-round magazine but there are still a few 10-rounders out there if you know where to look. The triggers are good and they're tough.

You'd have to do some fancy talking to get one for the budget sum but not impossible.

The Tikka M55s were good, very good, but getting a bit elderly don't we think?

Cornishman

How did you find that M55? I've been on the Litts site but cant find it mate..

Regards...

Scratch that mate. Called Litts. They are gonna take some pics for me & email em to me...

Must admit the T3 is also a good bet at the mo, thanks Finman...

Mate,

I saw it last week when I was in the area on business. The wood and blueing are very tidy, but I didn't look at the bore.

I'll be with my in laws in Wales for a few days from Boxing Day- I'll have a look at the bore next week if you're interested in it. Don't worry about its age- comparing an M55 to a T3 is like comparing a BMW to a Lada.

Mate,

I saw it last week when I was in the area on business. The wood and blueing are very tidy, but I didn't look at the bore.

I'll be with my in laws in Wales for a few days from Boxing Day- I'll have a look at the bore next week if you're interested in it. Don't worry about its age- comparing an M55 to a T3 is like comparing a BMW to a Lada.

Thanks Rem that would be very helpful if you have the time.... Litt's are too busy to be able to take a pic this side of xmas for me. I've found this pic on another site though it has a sporter barrel instead of heavy. I'm told it has an oversized bolt too? Is this the stock type you saw?tikka_m55_sporter.jpg

Thanks for you help...

Grant..

Hey Guys you've been a great help, thanks alot.

I must admit this Tikka M55 that 17 Rem has spotted has caught my attention. If it's a goodun i'll have a some dosh left over for mounts & goodies. I want to replace my old Lee collet .223 dies for a set of Forster ones..

Sadly an SSG is too pricey and i've been bitten by a Savage once before, never again !! Cooper is also too pricey and no second hand ones about..

Part of the prob is that i was counting on putting a fair chunk of my budget onto my Amex card but very few dealers will take it cos of the charges so i'll have to make the best of a £500 cash budget..

Once again, thanks to all for your input.

I'll post some pics when i've decided what buy and have it in my sticky fingers...lol..

Streeker,

yes, that's a deluxe stock- roll-over comb, skip line chequering and rosewood grip and fore-end caps. Not sure if it's fore-end is angled forward like the one in the picture. Didn't notice the bolt knob, many are an over sized ball, though mine has a standard sized steel knob.

PM me your phone number and I'll call when I've seen it. It's no trouble, I'll be going for a browse anyway.

Streeker

I have just had a thought re your Amex.

Of course you can pay anyone - trade or private - with it. You pay the seller by Paypal and pay Paypal by Amex and spread the repayment over whatever period you like.

Easy.

it hadn't occurred to me earlier but as I get a cash back with my card that is higher than Paypal commission so I always pay Paypal accounts with my credit card.

• 2 weeks later...
Streeker

I have just had a thought re your Amex.

Of course you can pay anyone - trade or private - with it. You pay the seller by Paypal and pay Paypal by Amex and spread the repayment over whatever period you like.

Easy.

it hadn't occurred to me earlier but as I get a cash back with my card that is higher than Paypal commission so I always pay Paypal accounts with my credit card.

Hi mate, if you havent yet baught that TIKKA M55 get it now they are a truly superb rifle as it is what i am shooting in 308 now i was very lucky to find mine with the target stock with an "as new" border barrel fitted sitting in an auction rack, very strong solid action and will.. with a good barrel laugh at maximum hot loads i also shoot a Tikka T3 in 22-250 and it is true that the old tikka quality is dissapearing so ifits in ur buget and you suit it then go for it, you wont be dissapointed!!

Hi Guys.

Thank you shrek for the heads up, unfortunately the Tikka has been sold.. poor Rem17(marv) went to check it out today for me only to find it was gone..

That'll teach me for not hauling ass over there earlier to check it out..

All is not lost however.. I went to a dealer in Huntingdon today to check out a Sako 75 III, blued and in walnut. Second hand but in beautiful condition.

I'm gonna grab it before that goes too. I'm already over the moon with my .243 sako so i'm looking forward to putting this one through it's paces. As soon as i've had it down to Bisley i'll post some pics of it & hopefully some spanking groups too..

Thanks again everyone for the help and a big thanks to Rem17 for going to Litts for me...

Happy new year chaps... :)

You weren't the only one with bad luck at Litts- I ended up buying the wife two jackets in the sale!

Thanks for passing your thanks on, but it was no bother, mate.

As an aside, everyone I know with a 308 75 is using the Geco branded RWS ammunition (about 165 grain, I think) with very good results. Best of luck with yours.

Hi Marv.. Soz to hear ur Mrs was the only one to benefit... :rolleyes:

I have a couple of hundred rounds of samson 150 grn ammo so i'm hoping to get good results with it before loading.. If i'm really lucky it'll shoot RG 155 grn fodder (L1A2) i thinks it's designated.. At £21 x 100 it's far cheaper than loading but we'll see. I'm still waiting to get my ticket back from Beds police following the variation.. I'm buying some Lapua 167 grn Scenars from Ronin so i have big hopes for those. I predominantly use Vit 140, 150 & Varget.

I should be able to get some decent loads worked up with any of those powders..

I'll let u guys know how i get on with it..

Grant..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a .308 BROWNING A-BOLT II (not for sale though :lol: ) and I have to say it is the dogs danglies, the trigger is very nice, and with cheap 150grn Winchester super X, it shoots cloverleaf groups at 100yds.

I use it for Deer and foxing (tis a bit heavy for charlie but I have a new .243 on order :lol: ) I like it a lot, the tang mounted safety is in the ideal place, the short lift bolt is very quick and the quirky detach-box mag and hinged floorplate does work very well in practice!

BROWNING A-BOLT II

browninga-bolt-2.jpg

3 shot group @ 100yds

3shotgroup.jpg

Well here she is guys !!

One Sako 75 Varmint in .308 win. 1 in 11" twist topped with an Opti-mate 4 - 16 x 42 fine cross hair reticle.

I cant wait to get it down to Bisley at the end of the month. I'm going to use it for F/TR this year.

I run an "F" class comp at my club and i'll be running two classes this year. Allcomers and F/TR so this baby is ideal for the latter..

I'll let you know how she shapes up.....

Grant...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P10100024.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P10100014.JPG

I have a .308 BROWNING A-BOLT II (not for sale though ;) ) and I have to say it is the dogs danglies, the trigger is very nice, and with cheap 150grn Winchester super X, it shoots cloverleaf groups at 100yds.

I use it for Deer and foxing (tis a bit heavy for charlie but I have a new .243 on order :lol: ) I like it a lot, the tang mounted safety is in the ideal place, the short lift bolt is very quick and the quirky detach-box mag and hinged floorplate does work very well in practice!

BROWNING A-BOLT II

browninga-bolt-2.jpg

3 shot group @ 100yds

3shotgroup.jpg

Thats a cracking rifle Nico... I was very close to buying an "A" bolt varminter but i thought the barrel was a bit thin for sustained 10 shot strings. Beautifully made though.... :D

Grant...

Archived