Tikka T3 6.5x55

activeviii

Just bought a Tikka T3, took a few weeks to get here from another gunshop but its here today.

this is the first chance i had to look at it.

the crown has a dink in it and a knock, not a problem as i can re-cut that. the thread is a little ruff as well

the issue i have is inside the end. It looks as if something has been hammered in the barrle and caused a burr in the rifling.

I have not shot it or anything, not even cleaned the bore yet.

The thread is 1/2 UNF and there is no proof mark on the end of barrel to say its been checked.

Am i being fussy or is this something to worry about.

thanks for look Gents.

Kind regards

Phil.

P1020030.jpgP1020035.jpg

Don't mess about wasting ammo.Send to someone like neil mckilop and get cut and recrowned.What you will save in wasting ammo will pay for the work to be done.

ATB SEAN

As per the phone conversation we had earlier, I wouldn't accept it or try to fix it. You can't use it like that!

I'd ring them and assuming the rest of the barrel is ok, have it recut at their cost. If they won't accept that then question why the cut has no proof marks? In fact I would question the whole proof as the barrel structure has clearly been compromised. I hate to think what a big snag like that would do with your pressures if the gun was fired? Someone more in the know may wish to comment on that (if they haven't alredy, I wandered off half way through this reply!).

I have steve bowers up the road so getting it cut and crowned wouldnt be a problem but at who's cost, the rifle with opti mounts cost £650 plus the RFD costs. I did question the shop before buying and i was only told of one issue which is not a problem i asked about the crown and was told it was good. i asked what thread for the moderator and the guy checked it while i was on the phone. he said it was an old cut before Tikka started cutting them themselves with a 14x1 so he said it was after market cut.

my other tikka T3 is after market and it has the proof mark on the end of barrle.

Im not to sure what to think at the moment. I have been looking farward to a 6.5x55 for 9 weeks as my ticket was being sorted. then i paid for this on the 1st and it arrived today. I have started the reloads. all made at the max length so i could just adjust length once rifle came. i have 8 groups of 5 made. was going out to start testing tomorrow after i had cut the bush on the MAE to fit. yes i am gutted to tell the truth.

:(:angry: :angry:

I've sent the clearest picture of the inside of the barrel to the 'smith who will be building my Hornady Hornet. He's a really decent helpful bloke so we'll see what he has to say on the subject.

I've sent the clearest picture of the inside of the barrel to the 'smith who will be building my Hornady Hornet. He's a really decent helpful bloke so we'll see what he has to say on the subject.

I will give alistar a ring in the morning and ask if he has the endoscope still and get the insides looked at. if he hasnt i will see if steve bowers will have a look at it. I know what he will say and i know he will laugh at me.lol.

Looks like someone used a pilot (a pilot too big actually) to hold the barrel center (ala center rest, with the action run through the headstock in a quick three jaw chuck set up) while cutting the threads, instead of just indicating of the ID of the muzzle, and turning in a trued up/set up four jaw chuck. Maybe? :blink:

Send it it back to them mate if I were you and get your money back, I purchased a 6.5x55 Sako, s/s syn stock s/h last summer from a gun dealer and paid £625 and it was in good condition and shoots very well. By the look of your Tikka crown i would say its been worked on by an complete arse.

Sorry mate, i know you are gutted but these guys are trying it on. There are plenty of 6.5s out there for sell so dont be under any pressure to hang on to this Tikka.

Good luck, Tony.

I spoke again to the shop today and they have agreed to refund me a sum in order to get the thread recut and proofed.

It is easier on me having to wait to get the 1-4-1 on my FAC. i ill not have to mess Julian @ JMS around with swapping the PEZ for a differant thread. and i can get out for the last few days of the doe season to mop a couple of roe up that arnt looking to good.

Not a 100% happy but its the best out come as i really dont want want a drawn out process before i would be ready to look for a replacement.

I will try and sort a photo of the new cut just for comparison

thanks to all you guys for your help ad advice on this. it subject, i hope, is now closed.lol.

ATB

Phil.

Phil,

Regardless of the crown condition, from your photo the thread cutting is of a very low standard, it's all 'chatter'.

Overall comment - bodge job!!

Terry

Phil,

Regardless of the crown condition, from your photo the thread cutting is of a very low standard, it's all 'chatter'.

Overall comment - bodge job!!

Terry

Only just noticed this thread. Those pics; BLIMEY!

activeviii I understand your 'less hassle' approach to getting it re-cut by a 3rd party, but if there's other stuff wrong with it (what's caused the dents in the face around the crown? What other work did this jedi do to the rifle?) as soon as someone else has done something to correct the one bit you've noticed so far, the original gunshop will wash their hands of you.

I'd strongly recommend putting up with the replacement hassle and going for a full refund: Not fit for purpose for which it was sold.

P1020030.jpgP1020035.jpg

Thank for the comments guys. I do totally under stand where your coming from with sending it back.

There is no damage to the outer of the barrel, being stainless it shows every single mark and knock, it is clean, ok there is the odd branch scratch but i can deal with that.

The bore is in good shape, no pitting or other heavy hand marks. the bore is being checked by my smith, if he thinks its fair ware then he will cut a new thread, crown and re-proof.

the bolt i have totally stripped and polished back with 1200 wet and dry then polished, then ultrasonic clean in paraffin, then soap water then plain water. a coating of teflon spray before reassembling.

Trigger, its only a Tikka trigger but will do the job its made for. it is in bits at the momnet, all cleaned then once rifle is back i will polish the sears if they need it. i have dont my other T3 and it brakes so much cleaner.

the stock is plastic s not a lot can go wrong with that but i will check the float once the barrels back.

i can do most things, i can even cut the threads but, it takes a braver man than me to cut a thread and then trust all went well. it's just one thing im not willing to do. i have even made rimfire moderators but shelved them as again i will not hold my hands up and say that im 100% happy that there will never be an accident. i'll leave that to others and their conscience.

Saying that. i will cut the bush for the back of the MAE moderator, but thats as far as i'll go.lol.

I will let you all know how its shoots as soon as i know.

thank again

Phil.

Archived