Group size Question

What sort of grouping should i expect to get with my 223 T3 lite with 1 in 12 twist and 20" barrel, At 226 yards off bipod with Hornady 53grn V-max factory loads, As i got just less than 1.5" group with 2 shots on steel plate today, thats if i have measured it correctly, i measured from the 2 outside holes furthest apart. Before anyone tells me its really bad this is only my second outing with this rifle and im still getting use to it so please be kind.

Groups should be measured from centre of the hole,

basically 1 minute of angle is 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200 etc. General wisdom anything below 1 moa is not a bad effort.

5 shots is a group and 3 is a cluster :-)

Alan

Good effort! i would go with what 20 series says though, in order to get a more informed picture of how well your load/rifle or your performance is doing, you need to be putting ideally 5 rounds into your group. this way you get a better picture of the rifles true accuracy. we all know that wind can blow shots into the group as well as out.

A lot of my shooting is crows/vermin etc so i really get a kick out of first round hits. My rifle has a medium barrel and copes with 5 round groups well, but this doesnt tell me anything i dont already know, i take more pleasure in hitting a rabbit at some obscure distance first shot. It doesnt have to be a long shot either, one of my memorable shot was shooting a crow at 200 odd yards with 30mph wind blowing 90 degrees off. Having said that, i do like getting little groups at long range.. it does give me that buzz still!

The more i shoot long range the more i think its like golf in the respect that your always playing against yourself, trying to better your performance, tweaking your loads and reading for hours and hours about the sujbect on UKV and the likes!

Well done again and look forward to seeing some more of your posts..

Ok thanks for the replies, i will try it on paper next week on my days off and yes it does shoot well at 100 yards i was getting 3 shot groups all inside a 1" bull with Hornady 40grain V-max but tighter groups at this range with the 53grain V-max so i will try and practice more with them for now thanks again.

To get a meaningful measure of a rifles accuracy, shoot 5 x 5 shot groups not 3 shot groups to give you an average group size at whatever distance.

Just shooting one 3 shot group is no indication of a rifles accuracy as bullets can get blown into the group and also out of a group.

Pick a good day with no or very little wind. Try to put up some windflags and shoot in the same condition to make it worth doing, otherwise you will be shooting blind with no idea of any wind pickups or let offs. Make sure your rifle set up is steady and also hold the rifle with the same way for every shot. Any variation will kill accuracy.

Even at 100 yds a bullet can be blown a few bullet calibres left or right in a gust which if not picked up with wind flags can make you think that the problem is rifle/set up related and skew any results.

Archived