Training rifle air or rimfire ?

ChrisF

I have been looking at my options on a training rifle that has low ammo costs , and was leaning towards a high end 22LR , BUT just reading an old gun mag , and whats interesting is the results for BR-50 matches in the USA over thier latest 10 shoots in 1998 , in the top 25 are only 3 22LRs all the rest are air rifles , the rimfires place at 14 , 17 & 25th spots the writer makes the comment that this chart shows very clearly how vastly inferior rimfire Match ammo is compared to top grade air pellets .

Any comments on that ?

Cheers Chris

I have been looking at my options on a training rifle that has low ammo costs , and was leaning towards a high end 22LR , BUT just reading an old gun mag , and whats interesting is the results for BR-50 matches in the USA over thier latest 10 shoots in 1998 , in the top 25 are only 3 22LRs all the rest are air rifles , the rimfires place at 14 , 17 & 25th spots the writer makes the comment that this chart shows very clearly how vastly inferior rimfire Match ammo is compared to top grade air pellets .

Any comments on that ?

Cheers Chris

I don't think it's the pellets as much as the weapons themselves. Very few things shoot as well as an air rifle.... up to a point. I'd still get a .22LR.~Andrew

Get the 22 LR but probably will also need a trigger job from someone like Baldie on this forum.... he transformed mine in a few minutes and at low cost.

Will get both sooner of later , I want to build a trainer with something like Rem 40X rimfire action , maybe the new Stiller action ?

It will be a short barrel rig , for subsonics & I want to be able to shoot it LR , maybe 200yds plus , but thats a long term project , as the actions are not even available at the moment .

Short term , I will use a modified CZ to start with or maybe a 2nd hand single shot tgt rifle .

Always wanted a high end Air rifle but they are dearer than a high end rimfire virtually , will get one eventually .

Wether its rimfire or a air rifle , it will wear a can ( suppressor ) .

Chris,

Was in the same position as you a whiles back re. a good trainer, ended up with an Annie MPR as I needed a multi shot for local competitons and also single shot is a pain if doing positional practice.

The trigger is very good, too good actually and needs to be turned 'up' from the factory settings.

As I was going to have a play with longer ranges I installed a 20moa rail from these guyes : http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=112017&CAT=3599

They also do similar bits fo CZ (see here: 'shttp://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3600 ) and other goodies for the MPR.

The stock screws are slots so they 'went' for some socket heads to enable repeatable torques etc. from these guys: https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/

The stock on the MPR looked like it was made from a piece of floor board so it recieved a coat of paint as the feel and function were good.

I've shot the rifle out to 300 yards on the local range, 200 yard performance was better than expected and stopped some of the laughs from the guys who scoffed at using a 22LR at 200, which was pleasing :ph34r:

long.jpg

Had external M2 knobs put onto the ERF Leuplod to enable simple adjustmnents from the 25-200 yard ranges planned to be used:

close.jpg

Next step is to pillar bed the action and possibly some damper bands. Do not think I'll go as far as a tuner though.

If I was doing it again the heavy barreled CZ in an aftermarket stokc like a Manners would be on the list or a SAKO Finfire Match (as the Quad is a shdow of the former unfortunatly).

Also aquired a PCP air rifle, insainly accurate but not comprable for practice of CF's etc. Good to shoot with no.1 son though (which cost me a second PCP :rolleyes:

Brgds Terry

Definitely a place for both. Many years ago I used to shoot small bore rifle and took it moderately seriously. I though, at the time, how accurate a good .22 target rifle was, even shooting with iron sights at 100 yds, groups of around an inch were possible on a good day. (I find using a scope gives very little improvement)

But now I would be really disappointed shooting my 6mmbr and getting an inch 5x group at 100yds - So, I would say that .22LR ammunition has not improved over the years and not kept up with the accuracy expected of a good centrefire today.

If you like good accuracy and cheap shooting then a quality PCP air-rifle will be hard to beat, if you want a little more realism and twice the range then a good .22 does the job. - But, in my experience, accuracy is only so-so (good but not brilliant) and you will need to feed it with good quality match type ammo which is no longer cheap.

This is my "long range" .22Lr - It started as a Vostok CM2 single shot target rifle.(Still a work in progress)

th_CM2.jpg

Archived