Privatised Firearms Licensing

Gunsgobang88

Hi All,

As seen in today's Daily Telegraph, Lincolnshire police have awarded a 10 year contract (to supposedly save £28m) to G4S Policing Support Services. They will design, build and help run a major new police station. They will also provide IT, fleet management, custody and FIREARMS LICENSING services. How do UKV members in Lincolnshire rate the current Firearms Licensing regime? Do you think that this could be an improvement or a retrograde step? G4 do not have an unblemished record regarding prisoner security and other issues,

Alan

Alan

whilst not knowing the full details it might mean the "old" staff being TUPE'd out to the new team and so performance may not change initially until they have had time to "bed in" the new culture.

A watching brief I feel as if it is seen to be even a remotely successful venture I can see it being rolled out England and Wales wide.

Hmmmm......

I've always rated our dept until the last year, I'm not sure what happened but suddenly everything is taking a lot longer, my last variation took 5 weeks when the previous took 3 days,

I am currently on a temp certificate because mine ran out on the 11th Feb, when i asked they were 6 weeks in arrears.

I hope that whatever happens it's for the better

Alan

I've always rated our dept until the last year, I'm not sure what happened but suddenly everything is taking a lot longer, my last variation took 5 weeks when the previous took 3 days,

I am currently on a temp certificate because mine ran out on the 11th Feb, when i asked they were 6 weeks in arrears.

I hope that whatever happens it's for the better

Alan

Given gunsgobang's info, I'd say that sounds like the typical production downturn caused when staff face an uncertain or poorly managed change.

Hi All,

As seen in today's Daily Telegraph, Lincolnshire police have awarded a 10 year contract (to supposedly save £28m) to G4S Policing Support Services. They will design, build and help run a major new police station. They will also provide IT, fleet management, custody and FIREARMS LICENSING services. How do UKV members in Lincolnshire rate the current Firearms Licensing regime? Do you think that this could be an improvement or a retrograde step? G4 do not have an unblemished record regarding prisoner security and other issues,

Alan

I can see my friend in spalding having fun asking for a variation for foxing and explaining his wish to somebody who does not shoot

Given gunsgobang's info, I'd say that sounds like the typical production downturn caused when staff face an uncertain or poorly managed change.

I have to agree, I suspect as in any place where possible downsizing is on the cards that a slow down is inevitable to protect jobs, I cannot blame them, it's just a buggerence for people like me who have new toys to collect ;-)

Alan

Personally I don't think this will likely improve service in the short or even medium term. By taking a process (firearms licencing) which already runs at a loss and is not cost effective and placing it within a commercial organisation won't end well I fear.

I suspect it will either relax the licencing process or increase costs to a level whereby they are profitable, far beyond figure muted to date.

This does not even begin to start about concerns about G4S and their approach to business.

Perhaps someone has a counter view?

No counter view from me Gandy, what you said is how I see it. ;)

Hope this doesn't go nationwide as I have been happy with West Yorks.

Apparently this is to be a trial for the whole country.

As already mentioned, when its run by a private business to make a profit, guess whats going to happen ? Its not rocket science.

I also suspect G4 will find themselves in court quite a lot, being pursued by shooters who previously wouldn,t have taken on the police.

It wont end well from our point of view.

Archived