NEW RIFLE BUILD

MOOSE

Hi All,

In the process of planning a custom build, to make a long story short I want to end up with a flush fitting magazine similar to the Sako 75.

The easy answer would be to use a Sako action and magazine, only from what Ive been told you cant fit an aftermarket trigger jewell etc to the Sako action.

The only option that I know of, that comes fairly close is the HS system, not flush fitting I know but fairly close.

Any thoughts on various options would be great,

Thanks

Moose

IMO the HS box mag system is not that great, and it is overpriced for the quality. Spare mags are a fortune as well.

It also has a really cheap O ring around the bottom of the magazine which perishes.

I have had three of them on different rifles and I wouldn't have another. But if you do want one I have a .308 one with a mag and bottom metal you could have for not much money.

Dan

what do you want for the HSP mag and bottom metal?

Answering primary poster, I dont think you would go far wrong using the Sako as a base rifle, the triggers,,,well they are pretty good out the box and can be easily altered to a lighter, crisper release..

Personally I think that the currently availble mag systems are what lets down a full custom hunting rifle, all these AI mag based systems I think are fine for a tactical rifle but a hunting rifle needs a flush fitting double stack removable mag.

I have a full custom varmint rifle based on a Surgeon action with Dave's bottom metal using single stack AICS mags, I am happy with it as a largely truck based rifle, but I wouldn't want to carry it about much with the mag release lever sticking below the trigger guard. AICS mags just don't float my boat either.

The Sako/Tikka rifles make a much better base for a hunting custom IMO, the mag system on the Sako 75 I think is particularly good and the triggers can be fettled to very close to Jewel levels. My semi custom 75 has one of - lightened trigger springs in and it really is very good.

Having said that I wish somebody would start making a really nice flush fitting mag system for Rem clone actions, I think there would be a good market for it

IMO the HS box mag system is not that great, and it is overpriced for the quality. Spare mags are a fortune as well.

It also has a really cheap O ring around the bottom of the magazine which perishes.

I have had three of them on different rifles and I wouldn't have another. But if you do want one I have a .308 one with a mag and bottom metal you could have for not much money.

Hi Danpd,

Thanks for you reply/thoughts about the HS magazines, I have only ever seen one fitted to a rifle and that was far from tidy - I assumed that it was down to a poor DIY attempt, as the bottom metal appeared to be spaced off the stock which was a HS using washers to get it to the correct feed height.

Would it be possible for you to put up some pictures ? I would really appreciate it if not too much trouble.

Re your one for sale, I think I will wait until I find out more info before I make any desicion and dont want to make you lose to a possible sale to another poster who has enquired about it.

I hope to get to the Newark show at the weekend - might see something there that will help me make up my mind,

Thanks

Moose

You could use an RPA quadlite action, they only hold 3 in the mag though. They accept rem 700 triggers (I think) or you could use a RPA trigger which are extremely good, just some people don't like the two stage setup.

Dan

what do you want for the HSP mag and bottom metal?

Answering primary poster, I dont think you would go far wrong using the Sako as a base rifle, the triggers,,,well they are pretty good out the box and can be easily altered to a lighter, crisper release..

Hi Ronin,

As you say I think the Sako option may be the one to go for, do you know if it is possible to lighten the normal trigger operation on the Sako unit that offers a set trigger and normal operation. A friend has one of these triggers and the set trigger is great for target shooting, but the normal trigger isnt great - he was told it isnt possible to lighten the normal operation part on that unit.In my opinion the set trigger is far too light for use on a stalking rifle but would be a nice option to have for target shooting

I like the idea of that trigger as the gun would be mainly used as a stalking rifle, and occasional target shooting.

Thanks

Personally I think that the currently availble mag systems are what lets down a full custom hunting rifle, all these AI mag based systems I think are fine for a tactical rifle but a hunting rifle needs a flush fitting double stack removable mag.

I have a full custom varmint rifle based on a Surgeon action with Dave's bottom metal using single stack AICS mags, I am happy with it as a largely truck based rifle, but I wouldn't want to carry it about much with the mag release lever sticking below the trigger guard. AICS mags just don't float my boat either.

The Sako/Tikka rifles make a much better base for a hunting custom IMO, the mag system on the Sako 75 I think is particularly good and the triggers can be fettled to very close to Jewel levels. My semi custom 75 has one of - lightened trigger springs in and it really is very good.

Having said that I wish somebody would start making a really nice flush fitting mag system for Rem clone actions, I think there would be a good market for it

Hi AnthonyR,

I think we are on the same track here, from enquiries made Ive been told that any of the Rem clone actions would have to be altered if at all possible to work with a double stack magazine, I think you can get a double stack single feed AI magazine which would shorten the length of the mag protruding from the stock - more research required.

It would still leave you with the mag release lever protruding - which as you say is fine on a tactical type gun but not very nice on a stalking rifle.

I wish somebody like Surgeon etc would build a Sako clone action that you could fit with a jewell etc trigger,

Thanks

You can adjust the normal trigger down to about 2lbs with an allen key.

I dont know if it can be altered any more.

Hi Ronin,

As you say I think the Sako option may be the one to go for, do you know if it is possible to lighten the normal trigger operation on the Sako unit that offers a set trigger and normal operation. A friend has one of these triggers and the set trigger is great for target shooting, but the normal trigger isnt great - he was told it isnt possible to lighten the normal operation part on that unit.In my opinion the set trigger is far too light for use on a stalking rifle but would be a nice option to have for target shooting

I like the idea of that trigger as the gun would be mainly used as a stalking rifle, and occasional target shooting.

Thanks

You could use an RPA quadlite action, they only hold 3 in the mag though. They accept rem 700 triggers (I think) or you could use a RPA trigger which are extremely good, just some people don't like the two stage setup.

Hi Peter,

I will have a look into the options you said, not sure if their actions and mags are the same dimensions as the Rem clones ? if not it maybe a problem getting them to fit in a Mcmillan stock without a lot of milling etc,

Thanks

The rpa,s are not dissimilar Moose, and can easily be made fit.

To run AW mags on a rem or rem clone requires major action surgery. The internal rails need modifying, and the feed ramp needs a double scallop rather than the single one it has.

Sako triggers can be lowered substantially if you know what you are doing....its not difficult. I had one down to 1.5 lbs safely only last week....it was lovely.

The rpa,s are not dissimilar Moose, and can easily be made fit.

To run AW mags on a rem or rem clone requires major action surgery. The internal rails need modifying, and the feed ramp needs a double scallop rather than the single one it has.

Sako triggers can be lowered substantially if you know what you are doing....its not difficult. I had one down to 1.5 lbs safely only last week....it was lovely.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply, at the moment all roads seem to point in the direction of using a Sako action - no problem with trying to find/fit a nice flush fitting mag etc,

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

In the process of planning a custom build, to make a long story short I want to end up with a flush fitting magazine similar to the Sako 75.

The easy answer would be to use a Sako action and magazine, only from what Ive been told you cant fit an aftermarket trigger jewell etc to the Sako action.

The only option that I know of, that comes fairly close is the HS system, not flush fitting I know but fairly close.

Thanks

Moose

Hi All,

Thanks

Moose

Moose I know what you mean don't know if this will help had a rifle built end of last year for stalking on a Remi gypn 700 action but wanted a drop out magazine. This rifle in 25-06 was to be a work of art didn't want to scrape on anything, patrick croft in Yeovil took my biuld on and fantastic job he done lilja 3grove barrel rem action jewell trigger mcmillan thumbhole stock bedded on devcon, just the magazine wanted h&s precision but decided to go with an aftermarket one using the aics mags bad decision on a stalking rifle patrick tryed telling me at the time but I was sure this was fine, it rattles the fit is terrible as I hear are most aics mags are the same don't know if this helps wish I had gone for the precision one oh well I still love the rifle but only thing I would change.

The sako has got a excellent mag system but the only thing with the rem action is the aftermarket stuff such as the stock trigger etc etc make sure you give it some thought anyway regards rob

Moose I know what you mean don't know if this will help had a rifle built end of last year for stalking on a Remi gypn 700 action but wanted a drop out magazine. This rifle in 25-06 was to be a work of art didn't want to scrape on anything, patrick croft in Yeovil took my biuld on and fantastic job he done lilja 3grove barrel rem action jewell trigger mcmillan thumbhole stock bedded on devcon, just the magazine wanted h&s precision but decided to go with an aftermarket one using the aics mags bad decision on a stalking rifle patrick tryed telling me at the time but I was sure this was fine, it rattles the fit is terrible as I hear are most aics mags are the same don't know if this helps wish I had gone for the precision one oh well I still love the rifle but only thing I would change.

The sako has got a excellent mag system but the only thing with the rem action is the aftermarket stuff such as the stock trigger etc etc make sure you give it some thought anyway regards rob

Hi Robthebob,

After I posted this I was at the Newark shooting show and got to see lots of different bits and pieces, one well known custom rifle builder went out of his way being helpful by showing me the different options.

He had a rifle with a hs magazine fitted which was nice but he did say the same as an earlier poster on here about the rubber type ring around the base of the magazine that makes it nice and snug and rattle free - the problem is that it perishes and becomes brittle and needs replacing on a fairly regular basis, I assume how often would depend on usage and storage temp etc - the other drawback if I remember correctly was lower capacity than the Sako mags.

Having also been shown a Sako (Mcmillan stock) that he had sorted/tuned the factory trigger on, I came away thinking that it would be hard to beat it as a stalking rifle,

Thanks

Archived