green beastie

baldie

I cant remember the thread, but we were discussing weight for stalking rifles a bit back ?

I finished this .260 yesterday, and weighed it [which is a first for me :lol: ]

It was 9lbs exactly. Dunno whether people think that heavy or not ?

IMG_1103_crop.jpg

Its a Valkyrie short action repeater, with a Border cut, fluted barrel, finished at 20" and threaded for the aluminium A-tec moderator.

20 MOA rail, and tactical handle. Jewell trigger.

IMG_1105_crop.jpg

Leupold Q/R rings.

Stock is a McMillan hunter , fully bedded, and a valkyrie detachable magazine system, again fully bedded in.

IMG_1104.jpg

The entire rifle is painted in Olive Drab Green Duracoat.

Its very well balanced.

I think my Surgeon with the McMillan HTG stock weighs 12 1/2 pounds with scope and I would say it's slightly to heavy for a walk about stalking rifle, yes it's do-able but not entirely comfortable. I'm guessing that this one will finish at 10 1/2 lbs with scope? which should make it just about right.

Nice looking rifle.

Tell you what Ian, and most folk dont realise it, but an adjustable cheekpiece puts a lot of weight into a stock. Not only have you all the hardware, but there is a lot of extra resin in and gelcoat there too.

I cant remember the thread, but we were discussing weight for stalking rifles a bit back ?

IMG_1103_crop.jpg

Its a Valkyrie short action repeater, with a Border cut, fluted barrel, finished at 20" and threaded for the aluminium A-tec moderator.

IMG_1105_crop.jpg

Leupold Q/R rings.

Stock is a McMillan hunter , fully bedded, and a valkyrie detachable magazine system, again fully bedded in.

IMG_1104.jpg

Its very well balanced.

Very nice Dave,,,

Should be a shooter ;)

Tell you what Ian, and most folk dont realise it, but an adjustable cheekpiece puts a lot of weight into a stock. Not only have you all the hardware, but there is a lot of extra resin in and gelcoat there too.

Hard to do without though if you have a little baby-face like me and can't quite reach up high enough to see through the scope!!!

You could always eat more and get fatter cheeks

dave

Its an option!!!

IMG_1103_crop.jpg

IMG_1105_crop.jpg

Leupold Q/R rings.

IMG_1104.jpg

Its very well balanced.

I had one built on a pillar bedded remy action but with a 24" barrel (gonna get it shortened) and apart from mine having a camo stock it's virtually identical ! I've had mine four years now and love it . Virtually the perfect stalking rifle !

Looks good Dave :)

cant help notice the stock tang on the LHS looks a little low though....

It used to be higher on the prototypes Andy, but was reduced on the production models, as it was just unnecessary. It looks better with the new faceted bolt shroud.

Sorry Dave,

meant the stock tang profile looks low (not your action)

Wondered if McMillan have altered the shape....

Dont know Andy. Its a bit of an illusion because as you can see, i,ve milled a bit off for the bolt release, but the action also has a higher tang than a remmy, more like a lawton, or any of the other clones. The metal has been removed right up at the top, but the sweep of the tang is still the same. Hard to describe, but easy to point out.

Had the pleasure of handling this rifle on Friday and it handles like a dream balances perfectly at 9 pound it felt lighter than the 7 pound rifle I'd taken with me just because its so well balanced

p.s The finish and build wasn't bad either smile.gif

p.p.s cheers for the threading job Dave scope on and shooting like a dream

Archived