Schmidt 4-16 x 42 PM II anybody owned one ?

londonhunter

Just wondering all you Schmidt owners out there .

Has anybody owned the above model ?

A friend bought a second hand one from the us and it handles really slick

Other than less elevations as compared to its brother i am surprised nobody ever mentions it at all

It you start all over again would you consider 4-16 rather than 5-25

Knowing the 3-20 is due out in the next century

I have two 4-16 PM11's

Ive had a 5-25 and honestly prefer the lower powered models.

Better clarity, lower scope mounting, less weight.

Same bomb proof ruggedness.

All pluss's in my view.

I have two 4-16 PM11's

Ive had a 5-25 and honestly prefer the lower powered models.

Better clarity, lower scope mounting, less weight.

Same bomb proof ruggedness.

All pluss's in my view.

That's exactly what I think

If you can compete well at 16x the advantage of lower cheek weld lower weight will help

Howeverninunderstand it does not look cool atnthe club house ......

Anybody selling their 4-16 please pm me

For all you Schmidt PMIi owners out there

Of all the various options and variations which is the one that really works ?

Just been through this myself and went P4Fine reticle in FFP. I was concerned the reticle would be too bold at high mag but for field work its superb. For ultimate straight paper target work its too thick but for anything else I think its better. FFP allows the mil reticle to stay constant at all magnifications.

Yeap , have a few Benders , 4-16x50 & one 5-25x56 jobbie .

As to the 4-16x42mm model , not enought thought went into this design , as because the scope uses a large tube dia , ie 34mm , in most cases you cnanot take advantage of the front lens being smaller than 50mm ,as by the time you look at the mount height & even using the lowest set of 34mm Pitcanny rings , Opps you are at the same height above the bore line as IF you where using the 50mm lens model ( and compared to the 50mm , the 42mm is not quite as good , so most use the 50mm if that makes sense ) .

IF you used a speical low one piece mount ala custom , like a PH C3A1 mount , go for it .

What I would have liked S&B to have done , would be make the 4-16x42 , into a 3-12x model , thin down the tube outside the tureet housing , ala MST-100 or the Zeiss models , down to 30mm tube size , and shorten the lenght , and the thing would ROCK , on any lite weight Tac rig .

BUT they did not .

As to the 4-16x42mm model , not enought thought went into this design , as because the scope uses a large tube dia , ie 34mm , in most cases you cnanot take advantage of the front lens being smaller than 50mm ,as by the time you look at the mount height & even using the lowest set of 34mm Pitcanny rings , Opps you are at the same height above the bore line as IF you where using the 50mm lens model ( and compared to the 50mm , the 42mm is not quite as good , so most use the 50mm if that makes sense ) .

Genau

For all you Schmidt PMIi owners out there

I shoot the 4-16X50 PMII on an AI and for me it is the ideal, good weight, robust and reasonable glass. Plus a sensible magnification make it a fine 600m 'scope that works to 1100m when needed. I can appreciate the need for higher magnifications with F Class rifles and use them myself but I am also very happy with 16X on the AI. These last few weeks I have shot with lower magnification stuff from the 1000/1200 yard point. Most recently 3.5X and 12X yesterday and the 12X certainly works and the higher magnification 300WM shooters either side of me did not seem to be at any significant advantage.

What I would have liked S&B to have done , would be make the 4-16x42 , into a 3-12x model , thin down the tube outside the tureet housing , ala MST-100 or the Zeiss models , down to 30mm tube size , and shorten the lenght , and the thing would ROCK , on any lite weight Tac rig .

BUT they did not .

Exactly Chris. If SB deigned to make a precision hunter (3-12) with ill mil dot or similar ret and perhaps p/a I reckon it would sell bucketloads.

I am assured that they will offer an illuminated mildot in the 3-12 classic and zeniths. I'm currently trying to get this retrofit in one of mine.

Regards

G

• 2 weeks later...

Gents

Currently use a 3-12 x 50 on my deer rifle (yes it's big but it's also the same basic set up as my other scopes) and previously had a 4-16x50 on my tactical rifle, never felt I was out glassed. Changed to the 5-25 when I went to the 6.5x47 on the theory that you can turn the mag down but if it's not there you can't turn it up.

Personally the 5-25 covers most of my needs, all the above are FFP mil/mil.

Keep seeing the 56mm vs 50mm thing come up - so you can lower the scope by 3mm, if your that woried about cheak weld either raise your cheak piece or glue a bit of 3mm foam to your stock :lol:

If you want to shed weight and have a compact scope buy a March 3-24 x 42 FFP :ph34r:

If the information is true then any talk about buying S&B is moot anyway?

Terry

If the information is true then any talk about buying S&B is moot anyway?

Absolutely.

And standby for secondhand PM2 prices to leap - as they will.

Supply and demand etc.....

New PM2s are about to become as rare as rocking horse sh't.

They've already effectively disappeared if you want a spec that isn't already sitting on a shelf at the back of a shop.

Keep seeing the 56mm vs 50mm thing come up - so you can lower the scope by 3mm, if your that woried about cheak weld either raise your cheak piece or glue a bit of 3mm foam to your stock :lol:

Nope, 3mm on head height lets you take a much safer fire position on a 2 way range.

Much.

Or maybe that's rubbish.

Actually; yup it's rubbish :lol:

:)

What, this one?

Market advice: Sell pork bellies; Buy s/h schmidt

Absolutely.

And standby for secondhand PM2 prices to leap - as they will.

Supply and demand etc.....

New PM2s are about to become as rare as rocking horse sh't.

They've already effectively disappeared if you want a spec that isn't already sitting on a shelf at the back of a shop.

Archived