New set up required

Hi,

Have already seen lots of good advice on here and I am contemplating a new outfit for rabbits and crows at around 3 to 400 yards.

I would like an off the shelf rifle and have been contemplating a Tikka T3 Sporter in 0.223" with a Sightron scope or the S&B 5-50x scope.

Have gone for the 0.223" as it fills a gap between my 0.243" stalking set up and 0.17HMR which I normally use for rabbits etc. And as I live in Scotland the 0.223" is OK for roe deer.

I would also like to use factory ammunition.

Any pointers would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Should be ok then, the scope may be ott for what you want but at least itll do every thing you want and more.

have you got an avversion to reloading your own bullets?. Its a great hobby in its own right.

Spud,

No real aversion to homeloading just the initial outlay seems a bit intimidating, unless I am wrong but it it looks around £600 plus?

I realise the scope is a bit OTT but you can always back off the magnification when required.

If you aren't home loading, then you are wasting your time a bit with the long range bug. Factory ammo is not consistent enough to meet your needs.

You are considering an £1800 Schmidt scope for a big standard T3 and you are worried about £600 for reloading kit??

If I were you I would assign your budget slightly differently, I would go for the T3 varmint/super varmint with a fast twist barrel in .223 or 22-250 to shoot the higher BC bullets. By all means get the Sightron 8-32 or 6-24 as they are awesome for the money, the spend the rest on quality reloading gear preferably Redding or Forster with some accessories from Sinclair and Wilson. Get some Lapua brass, quality bullets and get stuck in!! You won't look back!

If you aren't home loading, then you are wasting your time a bit with the long range bug. Factory ammo is not consistent enough to meet your needs.

You are considering an £1800 Schmidt scope for a big standard T3 and you are worried about £600 for reloading kit??

If I were you I would assign your budget slightly differently, I would go for the T3 varmint/super varmint with a fast twist barrel in .223 or 22-250 to shoot the higher BC bullets. By all means get the Sightron 8-32 or 6-24 as they are awesome for the money, the spend the rest on quality reloading gear preferably Redding or Forster with some accessories from Sinclair and Wilson. Get some Lapua brass, quality bullets and get stuck in!! You won't look back!

Whole heartedly agree with that advice.

ATB

He got flammed....by Spudzilla

lol.....mmmmm....sort your grammer out mark ... :lol:

At least your adding to a decent forum again Martin .

+1 on the hand loading if your not doing it I wouldn't bother long-range shooting, tikka t3 super varmint in .223 1/8 twist (6 mnt wait in uk unless you go 2nd hand) should do all you want with 75grn v-max out to the ranges you mention. A certain large gun shop does great combo deals (rifle/scope/mounts/mod) Just look on YouTube to see what can be done with this caliber and hand loaded rounds. ATB Simon

My first C/F rifle was a tikka T3 in .223. I shot factory ammo and found it expensive and inconsitant. You will not go wrong with the T3 but the source of my frustration was the ammo. Not only inconsistant but expensive. I bought a reloading kit for £150 and got improvements. However you sound like a chap that likes quality kit and the saying spend once cry once would sit well.

I have now replaced all my reloading equipment. I learnt the hard way. Spud will point you in the right direction.

People,

Thank you so much for the comments so far. I bow to your greater knowledge regarding home loading.

As a design engineer by trade I am suprised how negative your comments are regarding factory ammo, I would have thought with modern day machinery the tolerances would be quite fine (I am not doubting your experience in any way).

So homeloading seems the way to go, at least it will give me something to do on the rainy nights in Shetland.

Is there a decent book that I should get hold of?

Thanks again.

People,

Thank you so much for the comments so far. I bow to your greater knowledge regarding home loading.

As a design engineer by trade I am suprised how negative your comments are regarding factory ammo, I would have thought with modern day machinery the tolerances would be quite fine (I am not doubting your experience in any way).

So homeloading seems the way to go, at least it will give me something to do on the rainy nights in Shetland.

Is there a decent book that I should get hold of?

Thanks again.

There's no doubting the quality of some manufacturers ammunition, it's just that every chamber/barrel combination is very slightly different, so hand loading will/should find a match to your set up, which mass producing cannot in the main achieve, you may get lucky, but as pointed out already then there's the cost of factory ammo.

Regarding books etc, start off with a reloading manual of either a powder or bullet manufacturer you have a preference for.

Steve

While reloading your own is the way forward for accuracy and consistency there are firms out there that will load you custom ammo for your rifle, not sure of the cost but something else for you to consider.

Andy

My first C/F rifle was a tikka T3 in .223. I shot factory ammo and found it expensive and inconsitant. You will not go wrong with the T3 but the source of my frustration was the ammo. Not only inconsistant but expensive. I bought a reloading kit for £150 and got improvements. However you sound like a chap that likes quality kit and the saying spend once cry once would sit well.

I have now replaced all my reloading equipment. I learnt the hard way. Spud will point you in the right direction.

Agree 100%, talk to spud he will get you sorted

Archived