Mark Sullivan

Foxshooter

Does anyone on here own any of his dvds?

I would love to watch a few. For those who have never heard of Mark Sullivan have a look at his website here

http://www.nitroexpresssafaris.com/

Possibly the hunter with the worlds largest cojones, and supreme confidence in his abilities with a rifle

There are several clips on youtube too

I wonder if his books are as good as those by Peter Capstick that I am now starting to discover.

MArk

Does anyone on here own any of his dvds?

I would love to watch a few. For those who have never heard of Mark Sullivan have a look at his website here

http://www.nitroexpresssafaris.com/

Possibly the hunter with the worlds largest cojones, and supreme confidence in his abilities with a rifle

There are several clips on youtube too

I wonder if his books are as good as those by Peter Capstick that I am now starting to discover.

MArk

What it doesn't say on the website is that he quite often shoots buffalo with a .243 to piss them off and make them charge, looks great on camera, but ethical??

An old boy in my village died last year; I used to chat to him about his time with one of the African Rifle Regiments immediately post-war.

He used to use his privately bought 275 rigby to shoot buffalo for meat for his men; I once showed him Kevin Robertson's "Perfect Shot" book; he borrowed it and thought it interesting, but couldn't understand the fuss - shooting buffalo and buffalo charges were just 'routine' and he described side stepping a few as though it'd been a game of rugby.

I think nowadays we're even softer than we realise.

African hunting and african hunting literature is something for which I have great interest and try to read and watch as much as I can. Mark Sullivan does indeed attract quite a bit of controversy, I think that in the last 4-5 years his SCI membership was revoked and a lot of people have taken exception to his methods.

A buffalo (or any animal for that matter) should be shot and killed with as much consideration to the shooter's safety as to the animal's welfare. Quite a few people commented to the notion that Mr. Sullivan pisses his quarry off first with a poorly placed shot, to then film a 'life-threatening charge'...Hmmmm.... The writtings of Bell, Taylor, Hunter, Flack, and a number of others verify what is the commonly held belief: a buffalo will die as easily as anything else, if hit at the right place with the right gun (and a 7x57 upwards qualifies). They record no charges by buffalo and a few by elephant and lion. Capstick, much as I enjoy his books (and I've read them all) and his DVDs, I will have to take with a pinch of salt. He must have been the most unlucky hunter in Africa, the number of charges he had to face!

Also bear in mind that no unwounded buffalo will charge, they will flee the scene. Hippo will only charge if you block their access to water. The only animal that will charge unprovoked is, you guessed it, man...

best wishes,

Finman

African hunting and african hunting literature is something for which I have great interest and try to read and watch as much as I can. Mark Sullivan does indeed attract quite a bit of controversy, I think that in the last 4-5 years his SCI membership was revoked and a lot of people have taken exception to his methods.

A buffalo (or any animal for that matter) should be shot and killed with as much consideration to the shooter's safety as to the animal's welfare. Quite a few people commented to the notion that Mr. Sullivan pisses his quarry off first with a poorly placed shot, to then film a 'life-threatening charge'...Hmmmm.... The writtings of Bell, Taylor, Hunter, Flack, and a number of others verify what is the commonly held belief: a buffalo will die as easily as anything else, if hit at the right place with the right gun (and a 7x57 upwards qualifies). They record no charges by buffalo and a few by elephant and lion. Capstick, much as I enjoy his books (and I've read them all) and his DVDs, I will have to take with a pinch of salt. He must have been the most unlucky hunter in Africa, the number of charges he had to face!

Also bear in mind that no unwounded buffalo will charge, they will flee the scene. Hippo will only charge if you block their access to water. The only animal that will charge unprovoked is, you guessed it, man...

best wishes,

Finman

Just watched a few of those linked clips - some of those 'stopped at 8 feet' animals look miiiighty slow on their feet <_< .

Hi,

As mentioned previously, Mark Sullivan has courted controversy for a number of years. Some of my customers have hunted with him once and once only. The macho posturing in the videos puts a lot of people off and is not a good advert for ethical hunting. Years ago he insisted that he wanted a lightweight .700 Nitro Express, I helped build and indeed regulated it for one of the London makers. At his insistence it was about 4 pounds underweight, I've been in gentler car crashes. Despite this macho image the rifle to my knowledge was only shot on one occasion and then just used to show and impress guests,

Alan

I have a couple of his DVDs somewhere , no problem with the shooting of big game but I find him particulally irritating !

With you on the monkey shooting spud!

I always enjoyed reading "Inside Safari Hunting" about Eric Rundgren. He shot a lot of buffalo on "clearance" and also a lot of very big tuskers. Well worth a read, I have a copy but may have lent it out......... :angry:

I think the video clips show that the man is an idiot trying to make himself look very macho shooting animals up close for the benefit of the camera , and as somebody else said a few of them appear to be badly wounded.

If as previously alleged he purposely wounds the animals with an unsuitable calibre in order to piss them off and get them to charge - it would be very hard to feel sorry for him if one of the animals wins the battle,

Thanks

....lightweight .700 Nitro Express,....about 4 pounds underweight, I've been in gentler car crashes. ...

Now -that- amused me :lol:

Probably a different sort of torture to .378 Wbys

Both owners deserve the punishment they dish out to themselves

Chris-NZ

Archived