What price screw cutting ?

Hi all,

New member here so hope i have posted this in the right place. I own a RWS 89 .22 250 rifle and looking to getting the barrel screw cut to fit an ASE UTRA sound moderator the barrel also needs to be cut back about an inch because it has a screw in the barrel for a sight. I understand the rifle does not need reproofing if i keep but does if i sell it on at some stage. Basically what price should i expect to pay for a barrel cut and screwcut and moderator and reproofing if i do it all in one go? Any suggestions of where to get the work done would be appreciated i live in NORTH WILTSHIRE.

Hi all,

New member here so hope i have posted this in the right place. I own a RWS 89 .22 250 rifle and looking to getting the barrel screw cut to fit an ASE UTRA sound moderator the barrel also needs to be cut back about an inch because it has a screw in the barrel for a sight. I understand the rifle does not need reproofing if i keep but does if i sell it on at some stage. Basically what price should i expect to pay for a barrel cut and screwcut and moderator and reproofing if i do it all in one go? Any suggestions of where to get the work done would be appreciated i live in NORTH WILTSHIRE.

Hi Spike,

There are plenty of good 'smiths who support and post on UKV. Pick someone who is convenient to you or someone else who has a good reputation. Anyone (other than you) who screwcuts your barrel will need to get it re-proofed otherwise he is transferring an un-proofed firearm back to you,

Alan

Hi Spike,

There are plenty of good 'smiths who support and post on UKV. Pick someone who is convenient to you or someone else who has a good reputation. Anyone (other than you) who screwcuts your barrel will need to get it re-proofed otherwise he is transferring an un-proofed firearm back to you,

Alan

Thats open to conjecture Alan, as i,m sure you know.

Nowhere in the proof act does it mention screwcutting, moderators or muzzle brakes. The proof house have LOST two court cases they tried to bring against gunsmiths who refused to reproof.

As i,m sure you know, the act states a firearm requires reproofing if "it is SUBSTANTIALLY weakened " . No engineer or court in the land would agree that putting a correctly cut, and as close to barrel diameter as possible, thread on a barrel is "substantially weakening it"

If i had a pound for every rifle that i send to proof, that comes back WITHOUT a stamp behind the muzzle thread because they have forgotten or missed it, i would be considerably richer.

It was of no concern to them whatsoever before they lost all the pistol work in 1998.

Just to add to this (and I agree with Dave re proofing after screwcutting)

I have also had several items back from proof where threaded barrels have not been marked at the muzzle..and , no-where on the prood certificate, does it mention if the barrel is threaded - all it says is, type, make, calibre, SN and whether initial proof or re-proof.

The screw hole for the foresight:

While now unsightly, (without the foresight fitted), it will not require the barrel to be chopped back, to screw cut this section of the barrel.

Leaving the hole will not weaken or degrade the new thread or barrel.

It may be unsightly, so for purely cosmetic reasons alone - shortening is an option, but not necessary.

The proof laws are a bloody joke. Did you know it is illegal to hold a weapon that you intend for sale in the future if it is not proofed, even if it is not currently for sale. The proof houses are only looking after themselves, they are an outdated antiqated relic who threaten people with laws from the eighteenth centery. the more people who stand up to them the sooner they will fade away. The sooner the better. What purpose in the modern world do they serve. None.

Proof certificate ?

Never had one given for any rifle proofed yet ! :lol:

Must be a Birmingham thing Andy ?

I only use London these days.

Hi,

Both London and Birmingham will supply proof certificates if asked but will charge (like a wounded rhino). It's usually to avoid visibly stamping or engraving an otherwise finished firearm,

Alan

Ahh...

Thats why i,ve never had one then Alan. I flatly refuse to send guns that are anywhere near remotely finished to proof. I only ever send freshly barrelled actions. Thats because they ALWAYS come back with dents, scratches, and other assorted damage. I understand they now charge an extra, to "look after better" a new gun.

This frankly, absolutely infuriates me. Their cavalier attitude towards other peoples property simply would not cut it, in any other service industry. They would have been sued out of existence years ago.

Hi Dave,

The certificates are useful in certain circumstances such as the reproof of Best London Sidelocks or the reproof of finished guns that have been re-imported after having had work done abroad. Imagine a classic gun such as a Purdey over & under sidelock, the customer wants the chambers lengthened from the old 2,5/8" to 70mm (2,3/4"). On older O/U's the upper barrel proof mark is on the breech end and visible, normally the old mark would be 'scored out' and the new mark stamped on. By issuing a certificate instead the damage and devaluation of the gun can be avoided. However, don't lose the certificate!

Best regards

Alan

Thank God we dont have any proofing laws here in Ireland, we dont need it and we dont want it.

We have an absolutely excellent team of men and women working in the firearms section of our Department of justice, they see everything in pure black and white, they have had several conversations with me about the whole proof testing concept and are quite happy to leave well enough alone. Any of the smiths on here will agree that proof testing is a complete load of B***ox and is one of the biggest legalised criminal activities available within the UK.

Most Gunsmiths will put a few test rounds through any new rifle or rebarrel they produce just to test for functionality etc, at this stage the rifle is infact proof tested but they still have come along and send out there hard work along with there hard earned money and pay to have someone else do exactly the same thing because its the law. I know of a few rifle builders that have had some of the finest rifles ever produced literally wrecked by proof house. I can recall back in my days as a Toolmaker we also had what was called proof testing, this was basically the same thing where our engineers would put a percentage of the injection moulded components through rigorous proof testing to insure the component could withstand its working purpose when it was put to work. These test components were always immediately filed away with there test reports but never would they be sold as part of an order, WHY, because they were f**ked and would undoubtedly cause problems after being put through such stringent abuse. To put it simply, a chain with a 2 ton limit would probably be tested with 5 tons. Ive used a lot of examples like this to explain it whenever customers asked about proof testing. The best ever example Ive heard was from a customer that was pretty well switched on where proof testing was concerned. His example was like this, a guy goes into buy his dream car, he,s just about to take it home but first of all Michael Schumacher has to test that everything was OK, Schumacher takes it down the worst stretch of road he can find, foot on the floor for lets just say 30 minutes. OK you get the picture, you really wouldnt want to ever see that car again or indeed the length of chain that was brutalised. How proof testing of firearms is still allowed to go on beats me.

I sent a rifle to London who clean snapped off the trigger blade "it happened in transit guvnor" yeah, not one other mark on the gun or stock.........

Second time it went, transport at my expense, passed but no stamp at muzzle, probably because they dropped it and it needed re crowning anyway.

Par for the course with em, a neccessary evil unfortunatly with some jobs.

bit of advice, make sure its cut by someone who is going to do it properly (ie. cut the thread true to bore, not just chuck it in a lathe and turn away!)i have a rifle away at the moment being cut,crowned and threaded (properly i hope) which i bought as a non shooter beacuse the bloke up the road cut it for my mate for £50. if my suspicions are right and its down to the crown/thread i picked up a bargain and my mate lost all confidence in his favourite rifle.

Spike Im sorry your post got hijacked by people who could have easily given you a cost but didnt.

I had a barrel done with 1/2 UNF not long ago, cost was £90.00 and rifle was not reproofed.

Cheers

BM

You paid too much then.

I charge £65 in any thread form. Thats, shortened [if required] recrowned. The bore indicated in properly, and the thread cut to an industry standard thread ring gauge.

I can speak up here as Dave screw cut my Tikka Varmint for me yesterday. The £65 is a bargain when you watch the process and accuracy of the work. :D;)

I am now planning a new build and will be seeing more of his excellent work.

You paid too much then.

I charge £65 in any thread form. Thats, shortened [if required] recrowned. The bore indicated in properly, and the thread cut to an industry standard thread ring gauge.

• 2 months later...

Niel McKillop (Dasherman on here) is near Basingstoke and will do a top job for you.

I have had Neil cutdown and thread 3 rifles for me now, super quality work everytime, great guy to deal with too.

Archived