what would you do with it?

moses

I spend a lot more time on here reading than I do posting.

The main reason for this is I don't do any target shooting as all my rifle shooting is deer related.

I have been thinking about changing this and the opportunity has come up for me to aquire a Sako Trg 22 at the right price. it's currently a .308 but the barrel is pitted.

Even though I would like to use this mainly for target shooting I'm thinking it would be useful for the occasional truck mounted foxing trip and would also make a good ambush rifle for deer.

I have been trying for a long time to get my .270 win conditioned for fox and I'm at the stage now where I have been denied 3 times and have pushed it as far as I can with my licensing office without going to a formal appeal, basically they have the home office guidance laminated in a folder and if it's not in there you're not having it.

I already have a .30 cal (300wsm)conditioned for deer and boar shooting and the police have told me that 6.5mm is the biggest round they will allow me for fox shooting (i know... I know...)

With this in mind i'm thinking to have the TRG re-barreled in a different chambering and that's what I would like some advice about, what would you go for and why?

I was thinking about .260 rem AI but, will it mag feed reliably from a TRG mag? is there much benefit over the standard .260? There is also 6.5x47 lap to consider but, If I wanted to shoot out to 1000yds is this more of a 600yd calibre, is this the same for 6mmBR? what bullet would I need to use to get a 6mmBR deer legal?

Apologies for all the questions and any input greatly appreciated.

all the best

Moses

I had the same argument as you with our local firearms dept, they religiously followed HOG's. I appealed, took them to court and blew them apart, with the help of BASC and won hands down.

I bet you don't know, I didn't, that the chart on chapter 13 that the police refer to, its out of date, contains factual errors and does not have any legal standing in court!

Just something to bear in mind mate.

Steve.

The 6.5 x 47 is perfectly capable at 1000 yards Moses. Its best run with bullets up to 130 grains. If you want to go heavier, then pick the 260. I wouldn,t waste time and money on the ackley.

If your FLO is so keen on the Home office guidelines, get him to look at the latest ones which states that once a calibre has been certificated for , lets say deer, then it should be certificated for smaller species too. Been out at least 12 months that one.

Just to really annoy you I have my 270WSM conditioned for deer and fox and that is in Essex, it wasn't even questioned on my recent renewal.

I can trump that -when I had my 338 Lapua it was conditioned for deer and fox :)

To be honest I struggle with my licensing office.

Everyone is very nice but, when it all goes to the Chief inspector is where I struggle.

He is notorious for causing problems and holding grudges, just ask the sportsmans association about him.

I wrote to the office 6 months ago as I wanted my ammo upped and I also wrote a nice letter regarding the ACPO reccomendation regarding deer rifles and the any other legal quarry condition.

I asked that my .270 and .300wsm were conditioned for this, I provided land use letters with supporting letters from gamekeepers and deer managers and landowners saying that I am required to shoot foxes and vermin on sight and enclosed a copy of the ACPO reccomendation.

They denied me this condition saying that the ACPO reccomendation was just that, a reccomendation and not legislation and as such they would not be taking this up.

I was advised by my FEO who's a good bloke to be careful, I spoke to BASC and they said if you're denied then they can't do anything about it. I am annoyed about it as it's just stupid really but, what do you do?

all the best

Moses

Archived