open f class scope magnification

rutland12

Hi

Soon to take delivery of new open f class build. I have decided on an NXS nightforce scope. I have one already on my 243 AI and am wondering if I should go for a x42 in .125 MOA ? Any advice would be good as I am new to this and would like to get it right first time.

Thanks

Tony

I don't shoot F-Class, however on a recent thread I read that higher mag is preferred. Hence the use of the S&B x50 scopes by many competiters.

I am sure the lads will be along shortly, 6mmbr, Elwood, Ronin, Vince, Taylor..... (Sorry if I missed your name's off but we have THE top F-class shooters on our shore's :D )

Just wish I could afford it!

I shoot all my comps on 30 power.

I have 2 scopes a 12-42 and an 8-32 NXS and leave them both on 30 power.

Like Grant I use the excellent NP2-DD reticule, this gives a very precise aiming mark.

Personally I don't like powers above 30 as it increses the effect of mirage and you can't see the neighbouring targets in you field of view. Its good to keep an eye on your neighbours as they can help identify shifts in the wind.

Cheers

Dave

Well, I wouldn't argue with Grant ('taylor') - he's been there , done that and got the T shirt. (GBFCA League)

However, I'm more than happy with quarter MOA clicks - who can read the wind to quarter MOA accuracy?

I like at least 32 power and a 'zoom' is handy - you can wind-down the power in mirage conditions and you can look at the targets either side of you - often the best wind indicator.

Vince

I have one 12-42 NXS and one S&B 12-50, but I hardly ever use either of them over the mid 30's, having said that it's nice to have a bit spare. I must admit there are times when I wonder about having 1/8 MOA clicks, but both of mine are 1/4.

I certainly agree with Grant that the Nightforce BR is probably the best value for money scope to buy.

Archived