Dead woodpigeon

andybrock

I live around the Macclesfield area of Cheshire and over the last few weeks have found many dead, dying or remnants of dead woodies. Chatting to a gamekeeper yesterday and he has also noticed the same, he says it's a disease called Trichomonas more commonly known as canker, the symptoms are if you look in the mouth of a dead woody you have found they usually have what looks a bit like blow fly eggs in their throat, has anyone else noticed this.

Andy

Its been around some of my land for about 3 months now finding woodies every saturday beating/shooting . a friend who is a big pigeon shooter told me he thinks a few song birds have a similar disease.he last saw this 6yrs ago .

Ive seen this about 4 years ago down here in cornwall when out shooting squirrels with my air rifle managed to walk right upto the pigeons like they were town ones and put them out of mysery, i was told they can also get simlar dopy symptons from eating too many acorns as it can poison them slowly, the most i found was 4 in one day all sat on the ground just moving if they had to and very dopy.

Archived