Factory .223

Hi there guys I just want to say that this is a very informative forum you have here.

Im looking for advice about buying a .223. Ive been looking at the tikka super varmint, But im not sure about the stock, Would I be better spending a bit extra and getting a sako or spending the extra on a new stock for the tikka, Its main use will be targets and longish range crows rabbits hopefully using the new hornady 53 grainers all the best john

I can say the Tikka T3 is a very good choice of factory rifle. I had a T3 lite as my first centre fire and would certainly buy one again.

For a varmint rifle I would buy the standard varmint model and replace the stock with a McMillan A3-5. You could also add an aftermarket bottom metal to run AICS mags. But in reality it's not needed for a varmint rifle. The standard kit does the job nicely.

I have a T3 one in twelve twist and it shoots 55g v-maxs very well.try it ,i think you will be pleasently surprised how good it is out of the box

I have a rem 700 PSS got it second hand,had barrel re-crowned,very accurate.

I Was impressed with a howa I saw down the range,(heavy fluted barrel,mag conversion) shot well.

Hi John.

I have owned 4 tikka supervarmints - IME the stock is very solid and comfatable. The adjustable cheek piece is also a useful feature - especially if you have a large objective lense scope.

But if you dont like it - maybe look at the laminate stocked version.

Tiika or Sako rifles are usually deadly accurate straight from the box, No difference in accuracy but the Sako is a little more refined ( though at a cost ).,

I use the 53 grn Vmax in my 223 for general shooting and the occasional longish range shooting, They are really good out to 450 yrds - and quite abit further on a good day.

If you thinking of doing lots of 500 yrd plus shooting - personally I would go for a tighter twist and shoot a bullet designed for long range accuracy.

IMO - I would go for a 8 or 9 twist tube - this will give you more flexiblity over bullet choice and potential shooting range.

ATB

Alan

Hi John.

I have owned 4 tikka supervarmints - IME the stock is very solid and comfatable. The adjustable cheek piece is also a useful feature - especially if you have a large objective lense scope.

But if you dont like it - maybe look at the laminate stocked version.

Tiika or Sako rifles are usually deadly accurate straight from the box, No difference in accuracy but the Sako is a little more refined ( though at a cost ).,

I use the 53 grn Vmax in my 223 for general shooting and the occasional longish range shooting, They are really good out to 450 yrds - and quite abit further on a good day.

If you thinking of doing lots of 500 yrd plus shooting - personally I would go for a tighter twist and shoot a bullet designed for long range accuracy.

IMO - I would go for a 8 or 9 twist tube - this will give you more flexiblity over bullet choice and potential shooting range.

ATB

Alan

Thanks for the reply :) 4 Super Varmints Im going to take your word on the stock you clearly know what your on about :) I hope to get the 24" barrel and the 1-8 twist. Which should hopefully allow me too shoot both? What is a good price on the Super Varmint? I see the sportsman gun centre quote £1040 is this resonable? I plan to use these mounts if I can get them link >http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_60&products_id=433 Or should i go for the optilocks? thanks john

Thanks for the reply :) 4 Super Varmints Im going to take your word on the stock you clearly know what your on about :) I hope to get the 24" barrel and the 1-8 twist. Which should hopefully allow me too shoot both? What is a good price on the Super Varmint? I see the sportsman gun centre quote £1040 is this resonable? I plan to use these mounts if I can get them link >http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_60&products_id=433 Or should i go for the optilocks? thanks john

You would be wise to take Alans advice, trust me he knows his stuff. ;)

Tony.

A 1 in 8" twist barrel is unlikely to shoot the 53 grain v-max. Technically it wont. There are always some guns that are the exception to the rule, but as i say, technically it shouldn,t.

A 1 in 8" twist barrel is unlikely to shoot the 53 grain v-max. Technically it wont. There are always some guns that are the exception to the rule, but as i say, technically it shouldn,t.

i have one of those exceptions ! sako a1 varmint , mcmillan stock pillar bedded etc and it will shoot the 50-55 grain bullets very well and still shoot the 75 amax and 77 berger extremely well to (yet to try the 80g vld) on a factory barrel shortened to 20" as well !

Hi there guys I just want to say that this is a very informative forum you have here.

Im looking for advice about buying a .223. Ive been looking at the tikka super varmint, But im not sure about the stock, Would I be better spending a bit extra and getting a sako or spending the extra on a new stock for the tikka, Its main use will be targets and longish range crows rabbits hopefully using the new hornady 53 grainers all the best john

Hi John,

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a marked difference in fit and finish between the Tikka and Sako although both usually shoot well. The T3 action is large for the .223 as 'one size fits all' while the Sako is sized for various families of cartridges. In both brands the 1:8" twist models are special order and if not in stock can cause a delayed delivery. If you have any problems sourcing either rifle please feel free to contact me,

Alan

I have a super varmint, in 243, and I can add a +1 for it shooting great out of the box and not really needing a new stock, it is plenty rigid enough for bipod use and the adjustment on the super varmint option should be able to make it fit you.

Note that if you order the factory threaded option it is a 20" barrel, if you want the ~24" length threaded it has to be done as an aftermarket mod. (AFAIK)

Archived