badger ordnance bottom metal for tikka 590/595

Offroad Gary

Slightly off topic, but relevant to Badger BM - I had a Lawton 7000 in 6.5x55 at one time in a Manners MCS-T stock, LW barrel, jewel trigger etc etc , Steve Kershaw put it together and it was stupid accurate and at the outset ( at my request) had Badger bottom metal and AI 5 round mag,. I hated that in a stalking rifle, and changed it for a more conventional floor plate Badger set up, which was slightly less CLUNKY.

If you re thinking of a magazine set up for your project, I would try to find one of the Tikka 5 round metal mags, and stick with that. They feed, and in 10+ years I've never had a problem with one. But .... I am NOT a target shooter except for zeroing and load development so I am biased in favour of quiet, smooth functioning kit, which in my very limited experience and opinion was not the case with Mr Badgers products. Heck, each to his own, but it wasn't for me, and turned out to be the old story " You can't buy experience, but you usually pay for it" . I shall now await the flak from AI enthusiasts :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yup, but -1 on converting a mag rifle to floorplate.

Retain tikka mags -yup; go to floorplate -big Nooo.

Can't think of any good argument in favour of floor plates.

Hi Matt,

Hinged floorplates and flush fitting mags. look great on an elegant sporting rifle. Extended mags. are indispensable if you are shooting McQueen, Civilian Service Rifle or engaging enemies of the Crown. Hinged floorplates allow people like me to satisfy well-heeled rifle afficinados with engraving and gold inlays,

Cheers

Alan

Hi Matt,

Hinged floorplates allow people like me to satisfy well-heeled rifle afficinados with engraving and gold inlays,

Cheers

Alan

Priceless :D

Comment of the week :) :) :)

No disrespect imparted or intended Alan by the way - just made me smile.

Just out of interest ..... does anyone know of a mag system for Rem Clone actions that both feeds and doesn't look as tho it came from a battlefield somewhere ? I gave up looking, but that was 3 or 4 years ago....

Agree with BD ... floor plate is a poor option IMHO.

Hi,

The only system I know of and looks ok on a sporting rifle is the H.S. Precision, this is available for both short and long actions. Both flush fitting and extended mags. are suitable for a variety of calibres. The guard is an elegant shape and the mag. release is flush fitting like the original Mauser sporters. As you are in West Sussex you are probably not far from my workshop, please feel free to visit and take a look at the H.S. Precision system,

Alan

Not adapted a rem style floorplate to a 595, but it wouldn,t be difficult. I done it to Howa,s.

I have t3 dbm,s in stock.

I actually fitted a std rem floorplate to a gun the other day [it was a single shot action] and the floorplate was basically a filler.

First one i,ve used this year.

Got through around 75 DBM,s fitted, and sold many to diy ers.

Tikka,

The hs precision dbm is neater, but its expensive, and doesn,t feed as well as the AICS magazine.

Ive only recomended fitting HS Precicion systems to stalking rifles ive had dealings with.

No one has complained about the looks or feed.

Although on the rifle (from the initial post) I suspect that the original mag system will perform more than adequately.

All - Interesting... and apologies to Bucksden for going off on a tangent on your post.

Alan, I am only over at Midhurst, so I may well call by, but would phone first of course.

ATB

P

Great, that will give me time to get some fresh cofffee on,

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for comments, reason for asking was my quest to justify project for tikka, which really needs to end up "different" to my other rifles - 10 shot ability would tick one of the boxes. I have 3 and 5 shot mags for it but the 22-250 ones are quite restrictive and only do 22_250 I think. Would not even accomodate 22_250ai, so I need 243/308 mags or stick to a 22-250 in standard chamber.

Perhaps the tikka is not the right donor and I need a remmy!! More to think about.....

Thanks for comments, reason for asking was my quest to justify project for tikka, which really needs to end up "different" to my other rifles - 10 shot ability would tick one of the boxes. I have 3 and 5 shot mags for it but the 22-250 ones are quite restrictive and only do 22_250 I think. Would not even accomodate 22_250ai, so I need 243/308 mags or stick to a 22-250 in standard chamber.

Perhaps the tikka is not the right donor and I need a remmy!! More to think about.....

Well if you decide on parting with the Tikka, may I have first refusal...

Well if you decide on parting with the Tikka, may I have first refusal...

If I remain uninspired and it has to go, you may have first refusal, I will be thinking until my sako returns.....

I too have been considering going tactical and installing a 10 shot mag system on my Tikka 595. The AICS mags seem to be the obvious choice but which bottom metal and how to sort the action screw alignment.

Has anyone had experience of overcoming this issue on a 595? It has been suggested that a plate or block could be made up to fix to the underside of the action which could then be tapped and threaded to align with the bottom metal screw holes. It sounds feasible but a lot of bother. Is it worth considering?

There is also the problem of what stock inletting to go for. Should one opt for a stock inletted primarily to take the bottom metal and hog out the top and backfill with Bedding compound? May be the only option given the lack of stocks inletted for the 595, and a 595 with a metal block attached at that!

So many questions!!!

The 595 gets rave reviews for a factory action hunter/varmint rebuild but is it realistic to consider it as a base for a  budget tactical project?

Dave W, does your T3 DBM come anywhere near fitting the 595? I'm not familiar with the layout of the T3.

Any advice gratefully received.

Rup

The T3 is long action, whereas the 595 is short. The t3 dbm would not be the place to start. I would start with a dbm for a remmy, and work from there.

Unless you have a mill and can do it yourself, it would be an expensive conversion due to the time it would take.

So coming at this from a diffent angle what about making 5 or 10 round mags to fit the standard Tikka mag well? From what I can see this would be a far better solution. My 595 has a spring loaded plunger at the front of the trigger guard so when you press the release button the mag is ejected and does not rely on gravity alone.

Yep, that is another way to go at it. A friend of mine did it succesfully.

The big problem is sourcing a magazine spring that is the right dimensions and works. Then you need to physically make the mag.

Magazines are not simple things to manufacture, and make work reliably.

I have a 595 in the shop. Maybe i'll have a look into it whilst i,m recuperating from an op on tuesday.

Dave, if you can make a batch of 10round 595 mags, you will make a lot of people very happy, not least, me

There was a bloke on Stalkdir who was going to make some up but never got round to it. http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?17342-M595-extended-magazines&highlight=595+mag

• 3 weeks later...

Yes i did.

I,m currently having a batch of T3 floorplates made up, the next on the R and D table will be a floorplate system for the 595. :D I strongly believe there will be a big enough market for it. Not the 695 though.

Archived