Rear bags for the field

Dave, I'm happy to believe that your rear bags are super quality and better than mine. It's just that they cost nearly three times as much, and I prefer to spend my shooting budget on core stuff like a custom barrel, triggers by Jewell & Timney, MacMillan stock, Redding S-dies, Lapua brass....... I like buying the best when it makes a significant difference, I'm just not persuaded I need to buy a deluxe bag to chuck on the ground for my rifle to sit on... Delighted to hear you make a few quid selling them though!

You might have some competition next year: forget the unobtainium (supplies are erratic...) I've sourced a family of nomads in the Siberian forests who'll sew bags of mink pelts, held together with thread woven from the long tresses of their first-born daughters and chewed to unspeakable softness by their grandmothers, then stuffed with fossilised reindeer poo, and I can ship these in for a song. I reckon they will retail like hot cakes at two hundred quid a throw to discerning shooters who won't rest their thousand-quid tactical stocks on anything but the best. I might let you have a few.

Regards, Tony

Do you have high or low bags in stock from the nomads.

Do you have high or low bags in stock from the nomads.

Nothing in stock yet, spud. I'm having trouble getting them to appreciate the concept, since it seems their language doesn't differentiate between the two words and my interpreter is having a tough time - at one point he nearly ended up singing soprano since they thought he was offering to marry one of their daughters without the obligatory five-year courtship and presentation of a bushel of wolf skins, when he was just trying to explain the concept of resting a rifle.... But I'm working on the issue. Price is going up, sadly, since my interpreter is demanding danger money. I'm sure this won't bother the customers...

Tony

She obviously makes them for a lot less than the customer pays and turns an adequate profit - what's the problem? Are you acknowledging that there's some truth in what I sort of ever so discreetly implied, that stuff aimed specifically at the shooting market is deliberately overpriced...? Seems to me, from long observation of the world of shooting clubs and (in recent years) shooting forums, that for a significant number of people there's a sort of perverse one-upmanship whereby the more one spends, the more one's status feels enhanced: "I paid XX quid for this fancy widget I lug around when I shoot, cor fancy that!" "You only paid XX quid? Well, I suppose you're on a budget - I had my widget custom machined from unobtainium by a Tibetan monk halfway up the Himalayas, cost me XXXX quid..."

It's a bag, Dave! Maybe a third of a square meter of ripstop nylon plus a small zip. And some plastic pellets. Doesn't require years of training to assemble.

Tony

Hang on a minute. Weren't you using the arguement with me on another thread that you get what you pay for and you would prefer to pay more for better quality.

Hang on a minute. Weren't you using the arguement with me on another thread that you get what you pay for and you would prefer to pay more for better quality.

Read my subsequent post in which I explain about spending cash willingly on core stuff - but not on things like little bags.

Tony

Strikes me that rifle stability and ease of use of a rear bag is pretty fundamental. After all is said and done whats the use in spending £xxxx on a decent rifle and then scrimping on good rests/bag? I watch some threads and cringe when people moan about the cost of things because I run my own buisness and profit has to be made in order to keep the doors open and pay staff. If anyone doesn't like the cost of an item its really simple, don't buy it :rolleyes: But please don't knock small buisnesses for making a small profit. If on the other hand someone is capable of making decent quality items for their own use then crack on and enjoy it, I have in the past and enjoy the challenge.

Having said all that I use a shooting bags back bag, think its called a Holland bag?

Strikes me that rifle stability and ease of use of a rear bag is pretty fundamental. After all is said and done whats the use in spending £xxxx on a decent rifle and then scrimping on good rests/bag? I watch some threads and cringe when people moan about the cost of things because I run my own buisness and profit has to be made in order to keep the doors open and pay staff. If anyone doesn't like the cost of an item its really simple, don't buy it :rolleyes: But please don't knock small buisnesses for making a small profit. If on the other hand someone is capable of making decent quality items for their own use then crack on and enjoy it, I have in the past and enjoy the challenge.

Having said all that I use a shooting bags back bag, think its called a Holland bag?

Well said.

As for shooters being ripped off. I know how small the margins are that RFDs actually make. The blame for shooters being ripped off goes to all the red tape and associated cost involved in importing items.

Guest richness

Holland tall model field bag here from Shooting Bags. Another option worth looking at is a monopod, these are very slow to use but very steady.

A

Yep I'm reviewing a couple of different monopods this week.

Look out for it here first on ukv :) in excited to try them out and compare them and see what they offer versus the traditional rear bags. Also testing various bipids in December.

Archived