Rear bags for the field

My caldwell deluxe has decided to split so I am looking for a good rear bag to shoot prone in the field with often in wet and uneven conditions.. I am looking at the stoneypoint one at the moment. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Si

My caldwell deluxe has decided to split so I am looking for a good rear bag to shoot prone in the field with often in wet and uneven conditions.. I am looking at the stoneypoint one at the moment. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Si

My Mrs has got a good rear bag and likes it prone in a wet field.........offers? :)

Nylon bag filled with medium density poly beads - Hunters of England provided me with mine years ago, its still going strong now.

Thanks,

Si

Iam also looking for a good rear bag for exactly this, wet muddy uneven conditions etc, ideas please..??

Interesting! what are your thoughts on these?

for feild use I find it ideal,attached to the rifle, so ready when you need it and one less thing to forget/carry. Quick to adjust and ,for me, just as accurate as a bag. not had a problem with it snagging the ground but I do check there are no stones or suchlike under it. not for everyone I'm sure but suits me.

Guest richness

for feild use I find it ideal,attached to the rifle, so ready when you need it and one less thing to forget/carry. Quick to adjust and ,for me, just as accurate as a bag. not had a problem with it snagging the ground but I do check there are no stones or suchlike under it. not for everyone I'm sure but suits me.

I think i'm going to try one thanks - just looks perfect and i'm no great fan of bags really (but didn't really know there was a viable alternative) Looking at this one: http://www.rifle-cases.co.uk/Bipods-Monopods-Foregrips.asp?cat=&model=BT04QK

The trouble with anything aimed at the shooting market is that the price is inflated. I put together a new rear bag that works really well: square-ish zip-sided nylon camo bag on Ebay from a lady who makes them herself, around four quid IIRC, and about the same money for a kilo of polypropylene beads that was just right for a tight fit. Use it flat or on edge, at different points on the buttstock, versatile height adjustment.

Tony

Guest richness

Crack on then Tony. See how much food you can buy selling them at 4 quid each.

lol the businessman speaks. Everyone has to make a living and taking profit is part of that. If a customer has the time and the knowledge to do that job themselves...well then the price will indeed look inflated to them.

If only I knew how to build rifles! :P

Crack on then Tony. See how much food you can buy selling them at 4 quid each.

She obviously makes them for a lot less than the customer pays and turns an adequate profit - what's the problem? Are you acknowledging that there's some truth in what I sort of ever so discreetly implied, that stuff aimed specifically at the shooting market is deliberately overpriced...? Seems to me, from long observation of the world of shooting clubs and (in recent years) shooting forums, that for a significant number of people there's a sort of perverse one-upmanship whereby the more one spends, the more one's status feels enhanced: "I paid XX quid for this fancy widget I lug around when I shoot, cor fancy that!" "You only paid XX quid? Well, I suppose you're on a budget - I had my widget custom machined from unobtainium by a Tibetan monk halfway up the Himalayas, cost me XXXX quid..."

It's a bag, Dave! Maybe a third of a square meter of ripstop nylon plus a small zip. And some plastic pellets. Doesn't require years of training to assemble.

Tony

She obviously makes them for a lot less than the customer pays and turns an adequate profit - what's the problem? Are you acknowledging that there's some truth in what I sort of ever so discreetly implied, that stuff aimed specifically at the shooting market is deliberately overpriced...? Seems to me, from long observation of the world of shooting clubs and (in recent years) shooting forums, that for a significant number of people there's a sort of perverse one-upmanship whereby the more one spends, the more one's status feels enhanced: "I paid XX quid for this fancy widget I lug around when I shoot, cor fancy that!" "You only paid XX quid? Well, I suppose you're on a budget - I had my widget custom machined from unobtainium by a Tibetan monk halfway up the Himalayas, cost me XXXX quid..."

It's a bag, Dave! Maybe a third of a square meter of ripstop nylon plus a small zip. And some plastic pellets. Doesn't require years of training to assemble.

Tony

+1

I would also be interested in acquiring a couple of non-gunsmith unobtanium bags!

Its actually a bit more than that Tony.

The bags are double thickness, the inside one being waterproof. The outer is nylon. No zip, double stitched seams, and nylon , heavy pellets. The best bean bag going, designed by a serious shooter. He has them made, pays a little old lady whatever it costs, then wholesales them to me, and i have the temerity to put a couple of quid on profit. :lol:

I quite agree with you however that some people simply aren't happy unless they have spent more than anyone else on a product.....it MUST make it better ?

I wish the buggers would frequent my place however.

Guest richness

Its actually a bit more than that Tony.

The bags are double thickness, the inside one being waterproof. The outer is nylon. No zip, double stitched seams, and nylon , heavy pellets. The best bean bag going, designed by a serious shooter. He has them made, pays a little old lady whatever it costs, then wholesales them to me, and i have the temerity to put a couple of quid on profit. :lol:

I quite agree with you however that some people simply aren't happy unless they have spent more than anyone else on a product.....it MUST make it better ?

I wish the buggers would frequent my place however.

Mate start selling these Unobtanium hand-stitched by virgins bags and i'll be there ;):P

...The bags are double thickness, the inside one being waterproof. The outer is nylon. No zip, double stitched seams, and nylon , heavy pellets. The best bean bag going, designed by a serious shooter. He has them made, pays a little old lady whatever it costs, then wholesales them to me, and i have the temerity to put a couple of quid on profit....

Dave, I'm happy to believe that your rear bags are super quality and better than mine. It's just that they cost nearly three times as much, and I prefer to spend my shooting budget on core stuff like a custom barrel, triggers by Jewell & Timney, MacMillan stock, Redding S-dies, Lapua brass....... I like buying the best when it makes a significant difference, I'm just not persuaded I need to buy a deluxe bag to chuck on the ground for my rifle to sit on... Delighted to hear you make a few quid selling them though!

You might have some competition next year: forget the unobtainium (supplies are erratic...) I've sourced a family of nomads in the Siberian forests who'll sew bags of mink pelts, held together with thread woven from the long tresses of their first-born daughters and chewed to unspeakable softness by their grandmothers, then stuffed with fossilised reindeer poo, and I can ship these in for a song. I reckon they will retail like hot cakes at two hundred quid a throw to discerning shooters who won't rest their thousand-quid tactical stocks on anything but the best. I might let you have a few.

Regards, Tony

Archived