Swarovski Range finding EL bino's

Have been waiting for the new range finding bino's for some time, with an order through optics supplier. Recently been informed that the order was unlikely to be filled before Christmas and probably nearer March of next year. Imagine my joy and popping into Purdeys to pick up some gloves, for a couple of days after pheasant, and there was a 10-42, which had just arrived that morning.

Sometimes the planets just come into alignment. Maybe will buy a lottery ticket and see if my luck continues!

James

Have been waiting for the new range finding bino's for some time, with an order through optics supplier. Recently been informed that the order was unlikely to be filled before Christmas and probably nearer March of next year. Imagine my joy and popping into Purdeys to pick up some gloves, for a couple of days after pheasant, and there was a 10-42, which had just arrived that morning.

Sometimes the planets just come into alignment. Maybe will buy a lottery ticket and see if my luck continues!

James

Mate, you must be so chuffed!,

If I had the spare cash I'd have a pair of them 10x42 EL range in no time. If a little finicky at first in getting the LED screen set up via the correct eye spacing, but once set are great. I love the angle incline meaurment feature too, the fact that you can change from yards to meters,the adjustable brightness of display and the optics are out of this world!!

in my opinion, Swaro are 2 years too late in getting these out in the market. I'm not going to get rid of my leica 15x56 geovids because they are also fantastic and are soo good for long range spotting on a tripod, but as a light weight and amazing optical bino/rangefinder, they are certainly worth looking at.

James

James, I would be very interested in your opinion of the Swarovski range finding bins as I might be looking into purchasing a pair. At the moment I have the 10x42 EL's and the Leica 1200 range finder.

James, I would be very interested in your opinion of the Swarovski range finding bins as I might be looking into purchasing a pair. At the moment I have the 10x42 EL's and the Leica 1200 range finder.

I have a pair of zeiss 10x45 rf binos and not got a bad word to say about them, so consider them also but i would like to see a pair of the new swarovskis.

Bringing the Zeiss RF binos into the equation........

I've got a pair of Swaro 8.5x42's which as we all know are excellent and to save myself carting round a Leica LRF as well I finally treated myself to a pair of Zeiss 8x42 Rangefinder binos.

Comparing the two side by side the Swaros definitely have the edge over the Zeiss... there's a definite yellowish tinge to the Zeiss picture.

Disappointing? Yeah, but I don't carry both pairs of binos with me and get on just fine with the Zeiss.

I had a look through the Swaro's at Bisley and was very impressed...anybody want to buy a pair of Zeiss?

atb

FBW

I have just had my first pair of 8x42 EL rangefinders turn up for the shop, no sign of the 10x42's though.

I'm wondering if we will sell more 8x42's locally (Wiltshire) and the 10x42's will be a Scottish sale? <_<

Why would that be? Just curious. For varmint hunting - or pretty well most things, come to that - I reckon 8x is as much magnification as can comfortably be handled in the field, unless one always has a very solid support. Maybe others are always right next to stone walls or gateposts, but most of the time I'm not, and sitting down with binoc clamped between hands and the peak of a cap, 8x is usually manageable. I've tried a wide variety of binocs over the years, sold them retail a long time ago, done magazine test reviews etc, and I just think 10X and above is too prone to shake. As soon as you start getting significant shake, it degrades the value of the top optical glass you've paid so much extra cash for (you can't hold the things steady enough for that super glass to show you what it can do), and makes it more difficult to laser a small varmint several hundred yards off - especially at dawn or dusk. I use a Steiner 8x56 binoc together with a Leica 1200 laser, does the job. I'd like one of your Swaro 8x42 laser binocs, sure, though if I was really determined to spend the price of a cheap s/h car on this sort of thing (which I am definitely not) I'd spend a bit more and get the 8x56 from Leica or Zeiss, for that 7mm exit pupil.

Tony

Why would that be? Just curious. For varmint hunting - or pretty well most things, come to that - I reckon 8x is as much magnification as can comfortably be handled in the field, unless one always has a very solid support. Maybe others are always right next to stone walls or gateposts, but most of the time I'm not, and sitting down with binoc clamped between hands and the peak of a cap, 8x is usually manageable. I've tried a wide variety of binocs over the years, sold them retail a long time ago, done magazine test reviews etc, and I just think 10X and above is too prone to shake. As soon as you start getting significant shake, it degrades the value of the top optical glass you've paid so much extra cash for (you can't hold the things steady enough for that super glass to show you what it can do), and makes it more difficult to laser a small varmint several hundred yards off - especially at dawn or dusk. I use a Steiner 8x56 binoc together with a Leica 1200 laser, does the job. I'd like one of your Swaro 8x42 laser binocs, sure, though if I was really determined to spend the price of a cheap s/h car on this sort of thing (which I am definitely not) I'd spend a bit more and get the 8x56 from Leica or Zeiss, for that 7mm exit pupil.

Tony

About seven years ago I was heavily involved with mail order optics; in fact I think we were the first to recognise the potential of the Leica 800 Scan rangefinder and as a result managed to sell over 150 of them, that was until York Guns and the Sportsman took them up. :o

During that time we also sold a lot of Leica and Swarovski binos with the emphasis on stalking through the pages of Shooting Times, it was very evident then that north of the border the 10x was the glass to buy.

Northern Ireland also saw more 10x's being sold yet local sales were (still are!) almost 8x with a few exceptions.

About seven years ago I was heavily involved with mail order optics; in fact I think we were the first to recognise the potential of the Leica 800 Scan rangefinder and as a result managed to sell over 150 of them, that was until York Guns and the Sportsman took them up. :o

During that time we also sold a lot of Leica and Swarovski binos with the emphasis on stalking through the pages of Shooting Times, it was very evident then that north of the border the 10x was the glass to buy.

Northern Ireland also saw more 10x's being sold yet local sales were (still are!) almost 8x with a few exceptions.

Makes total sense; different requirements; open hill vs woodland and hedgerows.

I remember (locally) mild condescension from smell-of-wet-spaniel-and-piss-stained-tweed types when I went 10x instead of 'the only true stalking magnification' :rolleyes: .

I think the only real answer is to go with what suits you. If that's 8x, fine. If that's 10x fine too. The only time I've recommended 7x is to an elderly friend of my Father (and that really was about wobble, he would have found 10x unusable).

But for me, as I've said before I use optics to see stuff. For me that means maximum magnification combined with the most sensible objective size to achieve a reasonable exit pupil without carrying two stuck together hubbles. 10x50 would do it - but 10x42 is a good size compromise. If I didn't want wobble I'd just make a circle with my finger and thumb and look through the gap :lol:

Only time I've been caught out by too much mag (well, not enough objective really :rolleyes: this was with 8x30 Hensoldts ) was on a -25degC night trying to spot fall of shot on snow 4km away under parachute flare illumination.

Pull up a sandbag. :lol:

.............north of the border the 10x was the glass to buy.

I see, all is clear, spotting beasts on another hill then trekking off towards them. Presumably, those guys have stoutly built ghillies with them, on whom to rest their binoculars... In fact I had the idea they used huge telescopes. Thanks for the clarification. There's probably a lot of local convention involved too, as Brown Dog suggests, though it's not a factor that ever affected me - my optics requirements are geared specifically toward varmint hunting, I base my choice of gear on many years experience of using good glass, and nearly all my shooting is through the evening into dusk. Hence the 8x56.

... I went 10x instead of 'the only true stalking magnification' :rolleyes:

What would that be, then? I know there are lots of weird conventions & prejudices in that game as in other branches of sport.

I think the only real answer is to go with what suits you. If that's 8x, fine. If that's 10x fine too. The only time I've recommended 7x is to an elderly friend of my Father (and that really was about wobble, he would have found 10x unusable).

But for me, as I've said before I use optics to see stuff

There's a lot to be said for 7x. It's easier for anyone (not just geriatrics with a drink problem) to hold steady: anyone whose hands don't shake at all is dead, the human body having an inherent degree of shake, forget the figure but it might be 7Hz or so. A really good 7x50 by e.g. Zeiss or Fujinon provides a huge bright sharp image, which is at least as important as pure magnification, helps us to "see stuff"... But as you say, it's horses for courses, and personal preference.

Tony

Traveling up to the highlands this weekend, for a few days after the hinds and will certainly give the new binos a strong work out. I have a pair of Swar 10x42 EL and a separate range finder that will be rather redundant, but will take the EL scope along for a comparison.

James

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 days on the hill, I had a number of periods when the binos would not read at all, although they seemed to be scanning. I am going to email Swarovski for comments, but at this juncture, I would be concerned about reliability.

James

Hi,

The best binos. I ever had were a pair of Steiner Military/Marine 10x50. They were optically superb with a generous field of view and incredible clarity. I found them ideal for woodland and field margin shooting as well as hill stalking in Scotland. They had the ability to pick out different textures such deer in shadowy, almost dark forestry,

Alan

Dropped the binos off with Purdey's thos morning, who were most helpful. They were surprised that Swarovski had not replied to an email I sent them, detailing the failures and asking about how I should go about returning the product for review. Purdey's are going to send the binos on to Austria and time will tell as to what comes of the problem. James

• 3 weeks later...

Gents may I ask where in Hells name does all your money come from!? Lol. my Hawke Pro Stalkers do me! investing in a Hawke spotting scope soon also. I'm sorry to say but they are more than ample to do day to day shooting. but if u have the cash then why not spend it on the best. jimmy gets.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived