Ausssie Moderator BAN

They have all sorts of strange rules and regs out there. One of the oddest I read about on a Au shooting forum a while ago is web sites, there are 10 or 12 web sites that Au residents are not allowed to log onto, there is NO printed list of these but if you do log onto one its a 10K or so fine.

In fairness I am thinking of stopping using my mod (T8) when stalking, most times you only have the one shot so noise is not an issue and carrying it makes the rifle awkward on a sling. I dont have one on the 20BR and that is surprisingly not an issue, I have shot 3 foxes in 20 mins from 1 position with it. Obviously you do have to protect your ears in other ways,

A

I was over in Oz a few years ago and i found their gun control to be very relaxed in comparison to our, although this was in rural western Australia. If I'm being honest they were very lax and if not a bit dangerous, but moderators were banned.

in the link provided it says

'"Currently, legitimate commercial feral animal and pest control professionals can acquire a moderator only with the approval of the Police Commissioner," the Police Minister's spokesperson told SMH.'

How's that different to what we are doing here? Perhaps that in Australia they have to be professionals before they acquire one? I don't know what the fuss is, I guess they will have to buy earmuffs and make do with the neighbours complaining. I think that in the UK it is the population density and the police realising that they will be called out everytime someone heard an (unmoderated) rifle report, let alone if one is load developing in his farmer friend's field, that allows for the use of sound moderators with relative ease...

Finman

in the link provided it says

'"Currently, legitimate commercial feral animal and pest control professionals can acquire a moderator only with the approval of the Police Commissioner," the Police Minister's spokesperson told SMH.'

How's that different to what we are doing here? Perhaps that in Australia they have to be professionals before they acquire one? I don't know what the fuss is, I guess they will have to buy earmuffs and make do with the neighbours complaining. I think that in the UK it is the population density and the police realising that they will be called out everytime someone heard an (unmoderated) rifle report, let alone if one is load developing in his farmer friend's field, that allows for the use of sound moderators with relative ease...

Finman

Thats exactly my point

The bill could have interpret things the other way and we are screwed

I count ourselves lucky in this respect

I was over in Oz a few years ago...If I'm being honest they were very lax .. but moderators were banned.

No different to the US.

Near any goober can go out and buy a .50BMG there but you need a Federal Licence to get a suppressor.

Go figure..

Chris-NZ

• 2 weeks later...

All this confirms what we already knew about the arbitrariness of firearms legislation - there's no point in subjecting things like moderator restriction to rational analysis and trying to figure out the thinking behind it. Fact is, whether it's the UK, Australia, the USA, or Mongolia, firearms legislation is erratic, arbitrary, and largely futile if one considers its primary purpose being to ensure public safety - criminals don't obey laws, they certainly don't care about firearms laws, so ordinary citizens who enjoy shooting and like guns get screwed to no good purpose.

Moderators are becoming more popular in the USA but historically they were more difficult to own than in the UK. Probably most people were unaware that until our 1997 handgun ban, it was at least as difficult to own a handgun legitimately in NYC as it was here - and had been since the 1911 Sullivan Act. They're a little more relaxed about guns in France and Italy than in Britain - but they're neurotic about "military calibres" for some strange reason, so your 1911 in Italy has to be chambered (I believe) for something like .455 British instead - or in France, your Ruger Mini-14 has to be chambered in .222 instead of .223.... One could fill a book with bizarre firearms legislation. It's just that gun laws are made by people who are mostly not gun owners, the latter form a minority who can easily be protrayed by the junk press as "gun nuts" and whose votes are too few to count (not so much in the USA, though), governments don't like theior citizens owning guns because it potentially makes them too independent, etc. Don't expect common sense laws on moderators anytime soon.

Tony

Like already said those who make tha laws don't understand what the heck they are talking about. Any criminally minded fool can make an effective moderator, anyone with basic knoledge and a few tools can make a basic gun for that matter, nobody can get a licence for a sub machine pistol here - they have still been used here on the steet same with handguns. For that matter you cannot import cocaine etc but it still happens. It gets votes from a few equally illinformed voters you see. Come on guys we have to listen to FEO's telling us that 22-250 is more dangerous than .223 and you can only have 500 rounds (expanding heads) of this ammo like your going to be a bigger threat to public safety if you have 1000 and they are supposed to be the gardians of public safety :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Interesting comments from TonyH about the arbitary thinking behind firearms legislation and the various ways that laws are interpreted in different countries. In Belgium you are allowed to collect automatic weapons as long as you do not shoot them (honestly officer!). A contact of mine has a couple of Thompsons (1928 and M1) and just happens to have a .45 Colt 1911 for target shooting. However, if you are a farmer and want a 9mm (No.3 garden gun) or .410 shot pistol for rat control you must join a pistol club and go through the requisite training and certification.

France has long had a prohibition on military calibres for civilians long after they have become obsolete for military purposes, even 6.5x55 and .45/70. A recent change in the law allows military calibres for target shooting only. All of a sudden, thousands of military firearms have been 'discovered in the loft' and are now in use. It is not only the British (when it suits them) who can turn a blind eye,

Alan

Archived