has anyone tried this device or reviewed it in the UK? So far I have not encountered any UK reviews of the product and apparently there have been a handful of units sold on ebay.uk

how close will it get you to point of aim from a vertical point of view? i am aware it does not compensate for windage so that calculation remains.

How close will it get you? As close as any good ballistic programme.

Which will always boil down to crap-in-crap-out.

Must say, don't know what system the computations are based on, but if it's using standard G1s (or G7s for that matter) it will depart from reality further out (300m+ for G1 and 600m+ for G7).

Got a feeling you can input tailored particulars though (which means you have to get them right!) and it'll do 'bespoke' loads.

One thing that struck me is that they look heavy; but infact are very light.

Patriot741 on here has one, I'll drop him a PM to get the full scoop.

Other than obvious "shiny toy" kudos, (no disrespect meant) I dont think that it would replace an accurate drop table (paper copy or ballistic pda)

I can think of numerous things I would spend the excess change on if I were to purchase a table from BD instead of a BORS unit.

Id place total faith in a set of laminated tables, not sure I feel the same about an electronic device in "all weathers"....

I dont think you can go far wrong with a drop table, the batteries will never run out,

a bloke who shoots at our club now and again is getting one to go with the 10s of thousands of £ worth of kit he already has, and still he cant hit a cows arse with a banjo.

I could think of a hundred things I NEED before wanting one of those

• 1 month later...

Hi, My apologies firstly for not posting on here sooner, but i've been away from home for some time and now catching up with the forum in work time !

As BD says, I've one of the BOR's units. In fact, I have unit No.1 which was from the first production run of the variant for the Nightforce Scopes which I brought back from the US when I visited the Barratt factory. Anyway, back to the point. The first thing you have to accept for this unit is that it is specific to the make and model of scope you have, and also the Reticule as it has a range-finding feature built into it. The calibre doesn't matter as it has just about every calibre on its program disk (which only works on a Windows PC out of interest) and as BD says, you can also set up 'custom' calibres. It works on a G7 drag model and obviously, you need to give it VERY accurate info during the setup, or you'll be struggling beyond 6-800yds. One other thing is that you are forced to have the scope mounted 2.5" above the bore line as the rear scope mount is built into the unit and so cannot be changed, so f you like a low sight height, this may not be for you.

Now, on to how effective it is. It automatically compensates for air pressure, temperature and humidity while you're shooting. In fact I've laid on a range from early morning until lunchtime and watched the display alter the adjustment I need to hit a target. As far as accuracy goes, I've found it to be very accurate right out to 1,200yds (the furthest I shoot). Again, and I have to stress this, the info. you initially put in MUST be accurate if you want to do this.

It also has a built in anti-cant device but the most useful feature for me is the instant adjustment it can make for angled or incline shooting where it really comes into its own. As far as any added weight or shift of balance of the rifle comes into play, I can't feel it and neither can anyone else who's tried it out. It's totally waterproof (as last years Scottish Stalking trip proved !) and has a good battery life (1 x CR123 battery).

Now, what it doesn't do. The Wind ! The pain of my life. If they could invent one of these that will do the wind calculations too I'd buy it instantly. Until then, you have to work the wind out for yourself and correct accordingly.

Now, would I buy one ? At full price (which I didn't pay), no I wouldn't. The unit has its uses and I've tried it out on target ranges, while stalking and on my work ranges and it's a great unit. But until it can do the wind too, I use BD's excellent tables which gives me both adjustments. Just out of interest too, BD's tables agree with my BOR's unit to 800yds and only differs slightly (1-2 clicks from there on) right up to 1,200yds.

I hope this has been of some use anyway.

Archived