20-250 any thoughts

With a tikka 590 22-250 on its way as a donor, I've been looking at a suitable project. Seen this that got me thinking!

http://www.rmvh.com/20-250%20-%20Why%20the%2020-250.htm

Anyone got one, seen one, used one??? Anyone got reamers in the UK?

I'm getting the urge for a barrelburner to sit alongside my 243, 25-06 and 6.5 x 47l (pending delivery).

Thoughts / comments please.

or...use the action to rebarrel for a 6mmBR and shoot things out to 600 yards with no problem :) Plenty of reamers about, plenty of good 6mm barrells and plenty of expertise to help you on your way...Call me conventional but I like it when things work... ;)

best wishes,

Finman

I was talking to Dasherman about the very rifle advertised on Guntrader a few weeks ago.He might shed some light on that particular calibre if you give him a call

I've just had a 20BR built by him that was originally a Sako 22-250 which would suit your Tikka action

I was talking to Dasherman about the very rifle advertised on Guntrader a few weeks ago.He might shed some light on that particular calibre if you give him a call

I've just had a 20BR built by him that was originally a Sako 22-250 which would suit your Tikka action

This is exactly the route I have been considering, have you got any more details, which mag does it use, does it feed OK etc etc.

Which bullets are you going to shoot?

Any chance of some pics?

This is exactly the route I have been considering, have you got any more details, which mag does it use, does it feed OK etc etc.

Which bullets are you going to shoot?

Any chance of some pics?

Based on a laminate stock with heavy barrel profile.No feed problems using Sako 6mm ppc mag or alternatively get the mag bits from Brownells and make one up yourself if you can't find one.I haven't tried a standard 22-250 mag but I'd of thought that the only problem there would be just having to pull the bolt back slightly further to pick up the round as the feed angle looks the same on the mags (its the same mag with a block at the back for the ppc)

Using 39gr Blitzkings and getting near 4000fps off a 20" barrel with no pressure signs and no recoil so see the strike every time :)

I've also got a 20Tac built by Neil on a sporter weight Sako I that shoots in the .2's so he really knows his stuff especially with the 20's

Try to take some pics later

As Wsm says speak to Neil, he has the 20-250 reamer :)

ATB Steve

What barrel life would you expect to get from a 20BR ?

It sounds a little overbore,

Is It ?

How longs a piece of string :rolleyes:

Theres a lot of factors regarding barrel life such as barrel quality,intended use,how hot you run it,shot strings and even cleaning regimes so just shoot it and enjoy is how I look at it :)

Based on a laminate stock with heavy barrel profile.No feed problems using Sako 6mm ppc mag or alternatively get the mag bits from Brownells and make one up yourself if you can't find one.I haven't tried a standard 22-250 mag but I'd of thought that the only problem there would be just having to pull the bolt back slightly further to pick up the round as the feed angle looks the same on the mags (its the same mag with a block at the back for the ppc)

Using 39gr Blitzkings and getting near 4000fps off a 20" barrel with no pressure signs and no recoil so see the strike every time :)

I've also got a 20Tac built by Neil on a sporter weight Sako I that shoots in the .2's so he really knows his stuff especially with the 20's

Try to take some pics later

Thanks for that, that's the same barrel length and bullet I am considering. Which powder are you using? What twist is it?

What's the accuracy like compared to the 20Tac, which is another contender for me due to the Lapua brass.

Viht N130 and twist is 1/11

To be honest I'll be expecting the BR to be as accurate as the Tac on the second firing when the cases are fireformed and its only fractionally larger groups now.Certainly nothing Mr Fox is going to quibble about :)

The Tac route is certainly easier with the Lap Dakota factory brass as opposed to forming the BR cases from 6mm.Fortunately I've got a mate who's s**t hot on reloading :)

I thought of 20.250 but after speaking to Neil mckilop opted for a .20br.I have just sold the 20br and neil has just built me a 8 twist .22.250 which seems the dogs whats its at the moment,It's shooting in the .2's.The 20 br was also super accurate but i don't know the 20's don't seem to kill them like the bigger calibres or at least thats my expierience.If you want a hold on fur rifle out to 300 yards buy a swift or .22.250 they seem to put them down a bit quicker.If want something that flattens them and can give up a bit of trajectory try .22.250 shooting 75gr a max there awsome.

Cheers sean

You know what Sean I can honestly say that I've only had one fox run with the Tac and that got 20 yards before expiring.I always find that my 250 shooting factory ammo leaves big holes in things.Obviously the heavier bullets react differently :)

What barrel life would you expect to get from a 20BR ?

It sounds a little overbore,

Is It ?

Depending on how you treat it expect about 1500. There is a formula to work it out, just put barrel life into google and it should come up. I use a cool 29.5gr N150 if you want a load to look at.

20/250, expect 700 ish rounds, thats a few years for a fox rifle but not long against paper and throwing 35-38 grains of powder unless you have a heavy rifle you wont usually see the hit, or miss !!.

For the ultimate 22 use a 7x57 case, that downloaded with throw a 55 gr at 4000 fps. Called a 22/4000 for that reason, friend of mine builds them very very occasionally, case looks like a 22.250 but about 1/2 inch longer. Barrel life, minimal !! but on a dedicated foxer should be a few years.

A

Just to add that the most accurate rifle I've seen/shot is Nicks 20PPC :)

And the quietest thinking about it

I am looking for a low recoil dedicated NV rifle, I already have a heavy weight 22-250.

Would be interested in the specs on the 20PPC.

As stated above, Dasherman certainly does have a 20-250 reamer, as he bought it to chamber the Sako A2 which is currently for sale on guntrader.

He built it for me, to shoot the 50 grain Bergers.

I was, frankly, unable to attain the velocities claimed and lost interest in the rifle fairly quickly. It cost me a lot of money, mainly because I was so impressed with Dasherman's work that he has since re-barrelled 5 or 6 other rifles for me.

Admittedly, I could have stuck with the 20-250 longer and tried more powders than I actually did. I should, perhaps, have given up with the 50's and dropped to the 39 grain bullets. Instead, I had Neil build me an incredibly accurate 243AI, whch rendered the 20-250 redundant.

The Sako originally built for me has had two owners since me and I don't know how much work it as done now. It certainly stood me at much less money than the current vendor wants for it.

Archived