Pulsar n550

foxshot

Plenty of stuff on youtube and on the airgunbbs which has a pretty active forum on NV in general and not restricted to air rifles. Loads of debate there.

The N550 is definitely much, much better with a Sony VCL-HG1737C 1.7 doubler on the front of it and a decent laser (N1000, L808, Laserluchs) or IR Illumination (Have a look at http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11953 - includes a link to Lordy's similar thread on AGBBS. You could plug the N550 into the screens too).

Have a look on YT for lordlardofframs for his development on the sony and dimensions of the adaptor if you've got a lathe and some delrin or nylon - he's since recessed his lense further. Alternatively, Dr Bob's Gunbits was making adaptors to Lordy's original specs but I don't know if he still is as he's making the adaptors for the ScottCountry Yukon 1.7 doubler (1.7 is optimum). Price-wise they end up about the same £160 mark, but definitely a must have... as you'd expect the Sony lense is a cracker! Got mine on Amazon... and it's still sat on the front of the Pulsar which was bought by a local keeper.

Some people have experienced problems with the doubler staying in place on the recoil of a centrefire, that's discussed on AGBBS too.

Some love 'em and, of course, some hate 'em. A big advantage is being able to use it in daylight.

As for me..... having done all the research my fundamental problem with all NV units is fixing them to a Blaser, ideally mounting it to a saddlemount base so it can just be swopped when I run out of natural light (Why spend all that money on quality glass?). To my mind the lower the better to keep some semblance of cheek weld. A Saddlemount base will fit into the base of most weaver mounts without the recoil cross-bar but so far the lack of bolt holes in the right place is a problem and I'm reluctant to go down the Weaver rail base but may have to. (Suggestions on a postcard gratefully received) ;) .

The other option coming out of all this is to use a Sony Camcorder with the Nightshot facility as an add-on, again plenty of this on YT (http://www.youtube.com/user/b4ger731 and his cohorts have done loads of development and in the process of producing a film on how it's all put together).

Anyone got a Sony IP55E sitting there doing nothing? Sell it to me.

I'm currently trying to go down the CCTV box camera route and just waiting for bits to arrive, the camera is only 40x40x25mm without a casing!

That's me....

atb

FBW

B)

iv,just put doctor bobs doubler on my 550 and its changed the hole scope, you can see clear with the 170 lamp like an ordinary scope when we are lamping, or when i am on my own, put infered glass on and bingo sit in dark, they dont know you are there. i have just shot 16 in four nights.My cost is £1,150 for this set up my mate has a £5000 set up and he is well pissed off, with the doubler i shoot 300 yrds at target quite clearly in the day,and see foxes eyes at 600 yrds, sorry for miss print.

edited for sanitys sake

iv,just put doctor bobs doubler on my 550 and its changed the hole scope, you can see clear with the 170 lamp like an ordinary scope when we are lamping, or when i am on my own, put infered glass on and bingo sit in dark, they dont know you are there. i have just shot 16 in four nights.My cost is £1,150 for this set up my mate has a £5000 set up and he is well pissed off, with the doubler i shoot 300 yrds at target quite clearly in the day,at night 600 yrds and further,

Nice first post :rolleyes:

Congratulations for the most far fetched statement on the Forum this year :lol: The Pulsar is in no way capable of positive ID of a target at 600 yards at night even with the modifications.I've owned both Archer and Longbow Gen 3's and they'd struggle at that distance so if I were you I'd invest in a quality range finder and stick to more responsible shots

The Pulsar is a good bit of kit with a doubler and decent IR but your claims are at best optimistic and worst irresponsible :excl:

#### ME!600yds eh? i must be doing it all wrong-with my pvs14 i can only get the fox to within 30yds[as last night]to shoot them with the .17rem,and most i shoot at no further than 150yds,how do i make them go back another 450yds?answers on a post card ;)

Ithought 600 was hell of a long way for a nv i wouldnt dream of taking a shot at that distance at night no matter how good the kit is now 300 yes but even thats a long way off for me at night,if you could get clear safe shots up to 200 at night that would do me fine

I always thought the whole concept of NV is that you can get your target much closer than conventional lamping so you don't need to take long range hit 1, miss 10 shots?

Andy

hang on you lot,i apologize for that post i did not check it befor posting.you can see foxes eyes at 600 yrds not shoot them, i only shoot target,s at 300 yrds. all vermin 150 to 200 with nv as said most are 100 yrds sorry will double check next time.

Archived