confusing data with my 6.5mm

264wm

I will try and explain this best I can.

Load 1. 139gn Lapua,68gn retumbo, fed210, 3187 avg fps, ES of 36fps

Load 2. 130gn Accubond,68gn retumbo,fed210, 3100 avg fps,ES of 26fps

The accubond's wouldn't shoot at all, or should I say that they woudln't in my rifle, the Lapua's have always been consistent, and when I say consistent I mean sub 1/2.

I pulled several cases with the accubond's and loaded Lapua bullets,when I put them through the chrony they were consistently 100fps slower.I would presume that neck tension had been altered with me pulling them, and in turn had affected the overall performance.I can only presume that retumbo works best under pressure.

What I can't get my head around is that the heavier bullet is faster with the same load!

Anyone any theories?

regards

Griff

Wonder how you chose your user name lol

Welcome there's plenty of knowledgable shooters on here that will help you out

Atb Richard

Thanks Richard, username, it just came to me in a flash of inspiration. :)

regards

Griff

were both load shot in the same conditions or was one shot on a hotter day and the other on a colder day

if so this would result in greater pressures resulting ion more fps

if not ..im stumped as well

Griff,

you don't mention how long the barrel is. Retumbo is a slow powder and your choice of primer is mild, so you aren't exactly giving it a kick up the backside to get it going. It is entirely feasible that the end of combustion is after the bullet exits the muzzle and therefore the heavier bullet is showing a greater area under the pressure curve / ballistic efficiency because the powder can do more work before the bullet disappears off down range. Peak pressure would be higher with the greater mass.

Cheers,

Pat.

Scenars are known for being marginally thinner in diameter.

This could be why as they dont create the same resistance in the barrel to keep the pressure up.

Garry

Sorry I read youre post wrong this mornin, was still half sleeping.

Garry

OAL is 3.322,seated.502 thou inside case.

Scenar is only 39 thou longer than the accubond.

What I am struggling to come to terms with is that a bullet that is nearly 10gn heavier with the same powder charge is 100fps faster.

Also when I pulled the accubonds and replaced them with Scenars they were 100fps slower, I can ony put that down to the neck tension would change if as explained earlier that the scenars are slightly thinner.

rewgards

Griff

Archived