Would this be of any interest?

CliveWard

Hi All,

The other thread promted me to revisit an old design for a very compact 'digital' night vision add on. Whilst looking at the design, and again with some comments on the DIY NV thread in my subconcious, I realised that if I removed a few components and changed a few others I would have essentially a high quality video camera that sees your view through the rifle scope, while at the same time not interfering with the operation of the rifle scope.

In simple terms your view through the rifle scope would not be affected, but you would have a high res video out to do as you wished with, i.e. record your antics for youtube, display on a monitor for general showing off or more seriously for firearms training, either wired or wireless.

I've arranged the design to be modular so that the camera unit would also work with pretty much any day scope, NV system, spotting scope, etc.

Cheers

Clive

I'm not sure if I'm correctly visualising what you're describing; but I would think that something that looks through and records the view through a dayscope would have enormous training value

I'm not sure if I'm correctly visualising what you're describing; but I would think that something that looks through and records the view through a dayscope would have enormous training value

Hi BD,

Yes it does record the view, exactly as seen through the scope, without obstructing the view through the scope. The device would encroach into the users available eye relief by only 26-29mm.

It would be an excellent training aid. Allowing an instructor to see exactly what the student sees through the scope.

I have also drafted a brief for a LE/Mil. version with increased durability and other perhaps desireable features (or perhaps not) such as tamper proof attachment to the day scope and power supply, that could be used for centralised remote decision making (with visual indicator within the field of view of the scope), evidence gathering, etc.

We could even supply one of our storm cases fitted with a multi or single view monitor display, multi channel wired or wireless inputs, digital recording, power supply, along with storage pockets for the scope cameras when not in use.

Cheers

Clive

You read my mind clive i have been looking for ways to do this for the past 2 weeks but couldnt find anything that would allow the scope be used as normal..my way was adding a lens to the eyepiece with a sep monitor or one with both lens/monitor to the eyepiece which would NOT give you the normal use of the scope.

Would be interested in what you come up with.

Mick

You read my mind clive i have been looking for ways to do this for the past 2 weeks but couldnt find anything that would allow the scope be used as normal..my way was adding a lens to the eyepiece with a sep monitor or one with both lens/monitor to the eyepiece which would NOT give you the normal use of the scope.

Would be interested in what you come up with.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I'm embarassed to say that the original 'concept' for this (as part of a much more elaborate device) was done 4 years ago :o

Better late than never eh?

Hopefully once it's proved and if there is a market (which it seems there might be) we'll crack on with production. Timescale is more than likely 6-8 weeks, but stay in touch, and anyone else with a 'professional' interest as it might be useful for you guys to do some field testing on pre-production versions for us.

Another possibility is that because the camera units are detachable from the scope mount / optics package. It would be possible to put a camera down range with a small battery PSU and transmitter for a target view.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Clive,

Looking forward to it, 'messing' about with summer projects is much better than decorating! :)

Seems to me there's a lot of untapped genius out there just waiting to be nudged and encouraged. I've got one bit of kit developed 3 years ago out of a need that's transformed the application (if that makes sense) that could possibly do well in the market - just knowing which way to take it forward on a budget... or just leaving it at the hobby stage with only a few people benefitting. Hey ho.

Having said that the prototype has highlighted a possible overheating problem (No, it didn't burst into flame!! Lol! it, possibly, shortens the unit lifespan but that's a toss of a coin against the benefit gained). This in turn has led to a more efficient solution in the original unit.

Lol, that's all pretty cagey!

atb

Fizz

Hi Mick,

I'm embarassed to say that the original 'concept' for this (as part of a much more elaborate device) was done 4 years ago :o

Better late than never eh?

Hopefully once it's proved and if there is a market (which it seems there might be) we'll crack on with production. Timescale is more than likely 6-8 weeks, but stay in touch, and anyone else with a 'professional' interest as it might be useful for you guys to do some field testing on pre-production versions for us.

Another possibility is that because the camera units are detachable from the scope mount / optics package. It would be possible to put a camera down range with a small battery PSU and transmitter for a target view.

Cheers

Clive

Clive i wouldnt mind having a play with one iof these my self if youve got a spare for a week or two.

i have some rather nice foxing coming up very sson and it may be a good test for the unit

atb mark

Hi Clive, several years ago Meopta released a similar concept - think it was video and still pic, unsure if recoil or trigger activated. The specs were 3-12x50 - single unit rather than add on.

Only saw one a few years ago at Meopta so guess they did not find a market it. If it is a redundent project they may have info and specs but I guess the video capture side has moved on since.

smartscope.jpg

smartscope-detail2.jpg

Archived