Zero problem with PMII, too much elevation

AnthonyR

Tried to zero my 5-25 Schmidt PMII on my Surgeon actioned 22-250 last night, but found that I couldn't reduce the elevation enough in order to achieve zero at 100 yards, the rifle was still printing 6" high with the scope as low it would go.

Mounts are 34mm Optilock rings with their Picatinny bases, the rifle has 20 MOA built into the rail. I tried reversing the mounts to no avail.

I then changed the scope to a 5-30 Z6i, which has far less adjustment than the Schmidt, different rings but same bases, this worked perfectly with plenty adjusment left after zeroing 1" high at 100 yards.

Any ideas as to how to get around this problem, I have had this scope mounted on this rifle before using the same mounts but it had a different barrel then, could get zero with the scope 5 clicks from minimum.

Tried to zero my 5-25 Schmidt PMII on my Surgeon actioned 22-250 last night, but found that I couldn't reduce the elevation enough in order to achieve zero at 100 yards, the rifle was still printing 6" high with the scope as low it would go.

Mounts are 34mm Optilock rings with their Picatinny bases, the rifle has 20 MOA built into the rail. I tried reversing the mounts to no avail.

Any ideas as to how to get around this problem, I have had this scope mounted on this rifle before using the same mounts but it had a different barrel then, could get zero with the scope 5 clicks from minimum.

The Accuracy international mount specificly designed for that model scope has a 45' forward angle maybe that is the road to go down

I then changed the scope to a 5-30 Z6i, which has far less adjustment than the Schmidt, different rings but same bases, this worked perfectly with plenty adjusment left after zeroing 1" high at 100 yards.

It does happen that way with 20 moa bases that way sometimes, at the end of the day its 20 moa extra drop so there is sometimes a price to play at 100yds . But the interesting thing is it zeroed previousy with 5 clicks to spare with the previous barrel, it could be the harmonics or maybee one barrel wasn't true though altering the scope forwards or back in its mounts or were it connects to the picatini rail might also have a bearing on matters and it is here i would look or have you changed ammo and just forgot?

Although the 5-25 is designed to be used on an inclined mount or rail, you should have no trouble zeroing it with even zero incline.

With built-in 20MOA incline you should be laughing.

If the other scope is fine in the same set-up you've biffed something on the way you've set-up the elevation turret on the schmidt -probably relates to how you set the last zero. Have you slipped the turret to see if there's some 'hidden' elevation range that you've overlooked?

You are quite right about me biffing something on the elevation turret, aparently the PMII has a zero stop feature I didn't know about, which is about 5 clicks below the zero set point, once I had reset the turret all now looks to be OK.

Archived