Portable rifle maintenance kit.

Often when away on a hunting trip, might that be popping down to the local farm for a bit of plinking/bunny bashing or on a more extended hunting trip - I often go through the process of trying to work out, how can I maintain my rifle, without dragging the contents of the gun room with me - just so I can maintain my kit.

Its most likely that many of us cobble together a some sort of DIY field kit, for both cleaning and maintenance. But much of the time the bits are over sized and well, just don't really match and take up to much space. So are usually left in the car/truck, and when you need them the most they are not to hand.

It was no a recent trip to see Mike Norris of Brock & Norris, that I came across a compact little tool kit that has to be the buy of the year. The whole kit comes in its own self contained T.A.B. GEAR case made of Cordura.

July2011005.jpg

The MG3 - Military Grade Torque driver and associated tools in the kit is made by

the "Borka Tool Company" offer a kit they call the "Sniper Rifle Accessory Kit (SRA), the kit contains an excellent collection of tools designed for the most common of maintenance needs be it from assembly, disassembly for the majority of scope/mount/rifle combinations. Originally designed for the US Department for Defense - active duty personnel, where compactness and lightweight are essential. Its a kit that I can easily stick in my pocket when out in the field. In total the case and contents weight in at around 12 ounces.

Upon opening the case an array of handy tools all in the most common of shooters sizes are available, the primary tool is the torque wrench which comes with 12 fixed torque settings: 15,18,21,24,27,30,36,43,50,57,65,72 inch-lbs. And a torque settings calibration accuracy: +/- 4%.

In addition the following tools are also included:-

Autolock bit holder (recommended for use as a primary driver spindle)

Mini ratchet wrench

1/2" hex socket (1/4" square drive)

Customized 18 pcs. hex bits set in 2 separate bit organizers, which includes:

Hex: 3/32", 7/64", 9/64", 5/32", 3/16", 3 mm, 5 mm

Flat: 4.5 mm, 7 mm

Torx: T-10, T-15, T-20, T-25, T-30

Philips: #1, #2

Pozi: #1, #2

July2011004.jpg

The Borka tool kit has now been integrated with my field cleaning which is the US issue Sniper Cleaning Kit, with the addition of a couple of cartridge specific accessories.

All in all a great little addition to my shooting kit.

Looks very useful kit Rob.

I usually have some tools in the vehicle if theres a disaster, but this, you could carry in the field...

Being from yorkshire £125 sounds a bit steep :o so what do you get different to the basic kit then to justify the £80 difference?

Does look a nice kit though.

Being from yorkshire £125 sounds a bit steep :o so what do you get different to the basic kit then to justify the £80 difference?

Does look a nice kit though.

Eldon the basic *kit* is just the torque wrench and is only the six setting unit. The full kit has ALL the goodies. I am the distributor for these and we supply a hell of a lot to the military and other agencies. I keep the price as low as I can bearing in mind I get raped by customs and import duty. so stop being a whinging yorkshire git , you know you want one. you know you need one so get your hand in your tight yorkshire pocket and get your wedge out.not everything in this life comes for free. only this peice of advise..........you will never regret the day you bought one :P

you could always send me one for testing and doing a technical appraisal for putting on here then I could purchase the used I.e. secondhand unit :lol:

Gents,

This is a very nice bit of kit, it's one of those things that once you've got it on hand you think 'how did I manage before' :)

Much simpler/more consistent than a variable torque driver IMHO.

I 'exracted' one from TonyB a while back (it was on his bench, think it was hs own :lol: ). Have used it quite a bit, no complaints.

Terry

Also if you use a lop of cord thus:

DSC00165.jpg

The consitency/accuracy is 100% better i.e. 2%

(yes I know I'm using it wrong, just trying to demonstrate the 'knotted string' method ;) )

Terry

Archived