Just put a deposit on a new rifle

njc110381

Hey guys. I decided recently that I've had enough of my .243 so I'm going to change it for a 7-08. I don't know a great deal about the calibre but from what I can make of it from reading various articles found in a Google search, it's quite good?!

The rifle I found was a little used Tikka M595. Supposedly this is a good action? I'm told it's seen about 200 rounds from new so hopefully it'll be a keeper. It's the deluxe model with the dark wood caps to the stock.

So those of you that use it what do you think of the 7-08? Have I made the right choice? I'm going to be using it for general Deer work, mainly Roe and Munties, and the odd Fox. I've been chatting about it on another forum and general opinion seems to be that bullets of around 140gr are about the right place to start?

Anyone want a 18" barrelled CZ550 .243? It's been shortened, screwcut 1/2" UNF and proofed by a good local gunsmith. It's a great Fox gun and still reaches the minimum energy required for Deer with safe homeloads.

NJC

You have just bought yourself a wonderfull Rifle in a very able caliber:D

I would venture that they are quite rare in 7-08 too.

A friend of mine runs a 7-08 and it shoots the Berger 140 VLD Hunting Bullets into tiny groups.

Nick.

That's good to know. Varget is one of the powders that I always keep. It works in most common calibres I've had from .375 to .223! And Nosler BT - a chap I know loves them in his .243 for Fallow and he shoots more in a month than I do in a year! He must have half an idea what he's on about so I'll make sure that's a bullet I try.

Did you try any other bullets in it? Any other likes or dislikes? I found my .243 a bit messy which has prompted the change. I used to have a 6.5x55 and absolutely loved it. I only changed it because I am (and I quote from a comment on the other forum) "a gun tart"!

I wanted a change and it backfired. I hope the 7-08 is more my thing!

Edit... Nick, just seen your post. Thanks for the reassurance. I hope it does turn out to be as good as everyone says they are. If it does I'll be very happy!

That's good to know. Varget is one of the powders that I always keep. It works in most common calibres I've had from .375 to .223! And Nosler BT - a chap I know loves them in his .243 for Fallow and he shoots more in a month than I do in a year! He must have half an idea what he's on about so I'll make sure that's a bullet I try.

Did you try any other bullets in it? Any other likes or dislikes? I found my .243 a bit messy which has prompted the change. I used to have a 6.5x55 and absolutely loved it. I only changed it because I am (and I quote from a comment on the other forum) "a gun tart"!

I wanted a change and it backfired. I hope the 7-08 is more my thing!

Edit... Nick, just seen your post. Thanks for the reassurance. I hope it does turn out to be as good as everyone says they are. If it does I'll be very happy!

I have the the 595 Tikka in 7-08, fantastic rifle and excellent calibre, I used to use the 140g Bergers but found they fragmented too much on impact , they gave by far the best groups but IMO they are not ideal for deer work.

140g Sierra game kings are cheap and grouped very well as do the 140g Noslers, if you want something a little flatter for fox work then the 120g Noslers might be right up your street. Whatever you use this is a great calibre with more than enough punch for anything in the UK.

Let me know if you would like some data.

ATB

Neil

Fragmenting bullets is something I really want to avoid. I think when I was shooting my 6.5 with Barnes TSX I was perhaps using one of the cleanest combinations out there? The 6.5 drills through pretty well as it is but with a heavy TSX it never made any fragment damage at all. I want something similar so may even try them in the 7-08?

So what makes this round so good? There was a lot of talk of retained energy compared to the .308, but that isn't going to matter much to someone who takes all his Deer inside 200 yards! I can't believe I've bought it without really even reading that much about it but hey, that's just me I guess.

Any data you could give me would be much appreciated!

How far off the lands do you load? Fixed measurement (saami?) or a distance from? I've got the little pokey tool (sorry!) that measures it, need to get a case though.

Well done, good purchase IMHO.

I have a 595 in .260... and a Sako 75 in 7-08.. amongst others.

The 7-08 does the business with Nosler 140 Gn BT or Accubonds in great style. I have recently moved to Accubonds as the meat damage appears to be significantly less on both roe and fallow, and they drop to the shot ! I havent shot Muntie with it, but that's only a question of the right opportunity, and it has worked very well on Boar using factory Federal 150Gners.

I have been using RL15 - 40.5 Gns in Norma brass, with Federal GM210M primers, giving about the 2835 fps MV, which is not Hot Hot Hot, but very accurate in my rifle. I am seating these .035" off the lands in a SAMMI min spec chamber from a LW 22" barrel 1:9 twist. Hope that helps, but as always the caveat applies..... work up any load for your particular rifle; and enjoy the results.

ATB

P

I'm currently running Accubonds in my T3- 43.5grs of Varget gives approx 2940fps. DEF not as explosive as the Hornady SSTs but the Hornadys sure anchor stuff and they're way cheaper and quite accurate in the T3. Like tossing a grenade inside.

Chris-NZ

The internal damage is something I like to keep to a minimum of possible. If I find fragments inside which have bruised up the far shoulder it seems a bit of a waste. I think the Accubonds would be more my thing, or perhaps even a Partition?

I don't mind paying for premium bullets. The way I see it is that if I can get four full legs off of my Deer rather than three and a load of mince for burgers, that extra cost is well worth it. We're only talking 50p difference between the very cheapest soft point up to the very best like a TSX or Nosler Partition. I recon I put one in five rounds I fire into a Deer so that's £2.50 extra for a clean carcass. The cost difference really starts to show with home loads. Home loading cheap bullets doesn't save much when compared to Prvi but when you compare the cost to a premium off the shelf box of 20 it really adds up.

I'm really looking forward to getting this rifle now. Loads of great feedback coming in! Thanks guys, it's nice to read about your experiences with the calibre and different bullets so keep it coming!

Im picking up a stainless laminate 595 7-08 on Tuesday and cant wait. Ive also heard a lot of very positive things about them.

Ive been looking for a 595 in 7mm08 for ages and now it seems everyone has one.

NJC-

I def wouldn't bother using Partitions in a 7-08 as the velocities aren't that great. The Accubonds are about the limit for opening up according to Greg Duley (Ed of NZ Hunter mag) who shoots more deer than near all of us combined.

The SSTs would be fine at the moderate loads I often see on this forum, ie MVs around 2800-2850 for 140s

Chris-NZ

The partition style bullets are mainly suited to the magnum calibres I suppose. Those guns that just smash up a standard bonded bullet. It would be sensible not to spend any more than I have to on bullets, although I'm quite accepting of premium stuff if it's performance is that much better. I have to say the accubonds are building a good following having asked the question on more than one forum.

Furrybean - I wouldn't ever say the M595 in 7-08 is getting common! I don't think that many were made as the round was a pretty new concept when the M595 was in production. And you've got a laminate stainless too - you lucky bugger! That's a bloody lovely rifle! Supposedly the action is one of the best mass productions out there to have custom rigs built on. Add to that you've got the laminate stock so it's very stable in wide temperature/moisture variations but still looks pretty unlike synthetic stocked tools. I'd say you've stumbled across something rather special and I hope it works well for you.

Archived