Piloted muzzle crowning kits??

I have watched the videos in great detail from "Dave Manson" regarding his Muzzle Crown Refacing Tool Kit.

It looks to be a very useful piece of kit to have in the workshop.

My question is, has anyone used one of these (or a similar device)? Do they do a good job?

Secondly, does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that stocks such tools, or is it mail order from the States?

Regards

We,ve used one of these in the shop for around eight years. They are perfect for a customer who wants a crown touching up, or to refresh a tired crown.

Despite what people may think about pilotted tools like these, this one is truly excellent, and works perfectly.We have done, hundreds, if not into the thousands of crowns with them, and they just plain work. Its also a very cost effective method, as the barrel doesn,t have to be removed.

I crown an awful lot of barrels in the lathe, but these are just handy for the reasons above. Hand on heart, we have never had a gun returned that wouldn,t shoot when crowned with these tools.....that says it all really.

We,ve used one of these in the shop for around eight years. They are perfect for a customer who wants a crown touching up, or to refresh a tired crown.

Despite what people may think about pilotted tools like these, this one is truly excellent, and works perfectly.We have done, hundreds, if not into the thousands of crowns with them, and they just plain work. Its also a very cost effective method, as the barrel doesn,t have to be removed.

I crown an awful lot of barrels in the lathe, but these are just handy for the reasons above. Hand on heart, we have never had a gun returned that wouldn,t shoot when crowned with these tools.....that says it all really.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear mate, thanks for that :)

I have a .222 which has always performed very well, but the crown is looking tired now, and has some slight pitting from leaving it stored with the moderator on :blush:

I will order one tonight from Brownells.

Anyone know how long stuff normally takes to come from there?

Thanks again for the reply :)

I think I saw these when they were released several years ago at Shot Show

Have you got a link, or maybe a price indication?

Mark

I got mine from here, just rang them and ordered over phone. Prices are on there, and are up to date.

Cheers

I also have the Manson kit - 5 calibre pilots.

Ive done numerous crowns with it, like Dave says it does an excellent job especially on sporting guns that get the occasional knock or ding.

But, I dont think the tool gives as good a finish as a lathe cut crown.

It does the job and does it pretty well, also saves on the xepense of buying a lathe....

But, I think a riflesmith recrown would be cheaper than buying the kit specifically to do your own rifle

Ah well, I've ordered it now, and I'm sure it will do a satisfactory job on my rifle.

I'm the type of bloke who likes to be self sufficient as much as possible, and liked the idea of having the kit to keep the crowns nice on all my rifles.

I like messing about doing things myself :D

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm looking forward to getting it and giving it a whirl. Will put some pics up ;)

I use a piloted tool. This is the result of my cutting off two inches of damaged barrel on a Winchester .222 and crowning it with a piloted tool.

222group5shotsRED072.jpg

This is 5 shots at 100M using bulk Speer TNT 50 grain HPs. I think it works fine!

~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived