Barrel

Dan534

Has anyone noticed velocity changes after a few hundred round through a 'new' barrel. Chronoed my 6br yesterday and it was averaging 2810fps down from 2860fps on the previous testing a few months ago, same load, same charge of varget, same bullets, same chrono. Just wondered if barrels 'settle in'? Had about 500tds through barrel. I may have to adjust the load to get back to the sweet spot?

Any thoughts?

Is your accuracy the same? I'd let the target decide rather than chase a velocity. You don't say what chrono you're using but are the cheaper ones that reliable? Another thing to consider is the distance from the muzzle. you'll get errant readings if you're too close and the sensors are 'seeing' powder and not the bullet.

Noticed myself over the years that new barrels settle in at around 200 rounds.

Velocity will rise gradually (in my experience) and then stabilise.

Happened with all my current rifles in variety of calibres - not had a drop in velocity, without changing part of the load componant.

Could be the temperature change between the time you last tested it and now?

In addition to John's point, don't just think ambient temp; think charge temp.

and/or

Same distance from chrono?

Same powder batch?

Powder - Same Batch of varget

Temp - Yesterday 8.1oC, previous sessions 20oC! Summer last year. Varget is meant to be temperature stable, would it make that much difference?

Accuracy on paper - wasn't quite as tight group just over half inch, could be my position on the day or a loose moderator! It Normally shoots about 0.3 of an inch.

Chrono- approx 2 meters from muzzle

Matt - Cards still worked at 666 meter target though on 5inch disk :-), 3 out of 4 shots hit 2/10th mil low though.

Seems a big jump from 2855 to 2810 fps however. I'll try it again this week to make sure before fiddling.

Archived