Rabbit action with the 6.5x47

Si-Snipe

After a 150 shots the barrel has slicked up and I have altered the load. I have increased the powder charge in search of more accuracy. The load now currently shoots around the 1/2" at 200yds. I field tested it today on rabbits starting at 300yds and working out progressively. I am only interested in consistent killing ranges not 'glory shots'. Despite a swirly wind I found consistency with the 6.5mm. I moved out to 450yds after consistent kills out to 400. Then three rabbits fell consecutively at 450, 483 and 525yds as I had the wind sussed on the left side of the hill and the bullets were landing within a 1-2" of the reticle dot placement. All were shoulder shots and killed cleanly. I began shooting in the other direction and after a sighting shot I had the wind sussed and rabbits were rolling for fun between 320-425yds. It opened my eyes to the true potential of this calibre. This truly is a lovely calibre to shoot as I can spot my shots out beyond 300 easily and see the quarry roll.

An excellent day on the hill and a satisfying load to shoot.

Si

Terrain means everything with switching winds.

My 6mmbr is great shooting 105gr v-max once you get onto target with known click values out in the staffordshire moor. 500yds with 32gr varget give's me true accuracy.

But the mecca for me now is first shot hits beyond 500yds. What reticle are you using? More detail please.....

A few pics of your rifle wouldn't go a miss :D

12122010507.jpgRifle

I am using a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 with the LRTD reticle (1/8MOA dot). I love fine reticles which enables a precise centre placement on the quarry or target at longer ranges.

I nearly took a few pictures of where I was shooting but didn't intend on posting about it.

Here are some pictures of when I was shooting up there at different times last year with my .204 and HMR (but not in the spot where I was shooting yesterday):

Close range HMR action

More .204 summer action

250-300yd .204 action

One of my favourite sniping spots 300-550yd shots here

Early last year with .204

A nice day in search or a new setup location in the Hilux

Regards,

Si

Nice shooting there Si!

Do you mind me asking what youre load now consists of?

I changed my load of 38.3 re 15 123 scenar 10 thou in lands to 38.8 re 15 15 thou out of lands.

It gives me the same accuracy but with 40fps more at 2940.

I think because my barrel has 5R it takes more powder to get the same pressure.

I dont see much pressure in this load and think i could go even higher.

Wouldnt mind trying 123 amax soon t see how they perform.

Cheers

Garry

Nice shooting there Si!

Do you mind me asking what youre load now consists of?

I changed my load of 38.3 re 15 123 scenar 10 thou in lands to 38.8 re 15 15 thou out of lands.

It gives me the same accuracy but with 40fps more at 2940.

I think because my barrel has 5R it takes more powder to get the same pressure.

I dont see much pressure in this load and think i could go even higher.

Wouldnt mind trying 123 amax soon t see how they perform.

Cheers

Garry

Hi Garry

Not at all. I'm currently running:

123g Scenars

38.3g RL 15

CCI 450's

Seating depth 5 thou off the lands (brand new barrel measurement so it may have changed now)

I have seen no pressure signs at this charge but at 38.4 I was seeing a firmer bolt lift.

Since new I have had to increase it to maintain accuracy as the pressure dropped as the barrel slicked up.

I chrono'd it at 37.8 (original load) and it was 2910f/s so now with 38.3 it may be on route to 3k out of the 26" barrel which is quite impressive.

Si

What kind of velocity are you getting with youre load Si?

I was getting just a tad over 2900 with 38.3.

Is youre barrel a 5R?

Ive went up to 3000 with 39.3 and still think i could go higher yet. Accuracy wasnt as good up there but i think if i pushed it further it might tighten up again.

Maybe ill try a diff powder like re 17 maybe but im not bothered at the moment as the accuracy is very good and it works at the moment so maybe i should leave well alone when its going well.

Cheers

Garry

Si,

Is that a Barnard SM action you're using? I'd be very interested in a few more pics and a bit of a write-up about how you're finding it (I notice the Barnard site says it's designed for the HS mags; how's it doing with the AICS?)

Si,

Is that a Barnard SM action you're using? I'd be very interested in a few more pics and a bit of a write-up about how you're finding it (I notice the Barnard site says it's designed for the HS mags; how's it doing with the AICS?)

Yeah - its the SM (multishot) Barnard action. It feeds very well now. When it was brand new it sometimes required a 'bolt jiggle' to feed. Now it cycles as fast as I like with very few problems. Plus the rounds are almost mag internal length which probably makes it more difficult to feed if anything.

I'll get some more pics up in a bit.

The action is silky smooth as you would expect with a much improved tactical bolt knob to top off bolt operation.

Bolt closure is super nice with the 3 locking lugs and feels very solid and high quality. I get the impression that it is a very strong and rigid action despite the mag port which inspires confidence in the gun.

Now that I have the load somewhere near where I want it and the elevation dialled and charted I am starting to see its true potential. :)

Garry - as I stated in the thread earlier I chrono'd it at 2910f/s with 37.8g RL15 and I'm now using 38.3g but haven't chrono'd it yet. Will let you know when I do.

Regards,

Si

I've really enjoyed reading this thread, just the sort of well-documented practical varminting account we should see more of. As soon as I get my new rifle up and running (still developing load) I'll try to do something similar - though I won't be matching your distances, certainly not with 20Tac.... I lived in Sunderland (Roker) studying at the Poly for three years, and I wonder which direction you take out of town to get to your great shooting locations....

Regards, Tony

Another surprised one here, regarding the Barnard feeding. Everyone i,ve seen has been garbage,regardless of AICS or the truly crap HS system.

Great post Si, and some lovely pics.

Nice setup you have there and some very nice ground to use it on as for the snow shot thats devotion for you, did he get the kill

Nice setup you have there and some very nice ground to use it on as for the snow shot thats devotion for you, did he get the kill

He actually missed that one. :D The snow was so bad I had to wait to get a range for him then it came back in as he was taking the shot. :lol:

Guest richness

He actually missed that one. :D The snow was so bad I had to wait to get a range for him then it came back in as he was taking the shot. :lol:

How dare you ! I didn't miss; it was merely a warning shot :D

Glad you had a good day on the hill buddy; i'm looking forward to joining you on saturday to see how the RL17 load goes compared to the RL15 load. That extra 150fps should be sweeet (once i've sorted my clicks that is...) Cheers, Rich

PS that photo is my wallpapaer on my PC - great stuff :)

Archived