Primer Pocket Looseness

brown dog

A bone question I'm afraid;

My 308 brass is in a muddle; just about to f/l size a couple of hundred Lapua to 'press reset'.

My question is:

Is there any simple way of judging primer pocket looseness other than actually seating (& wasting) a primer?

[i have a K&M pocket uniformer, but not sure I could judge hole diameter with it]

matt seat a couple and see if they take the usual force to seat even better seat a couple of new unfired cases to compare resistance force needed to seat your primers

I don't know of any way to check for this. What I do is, everytime I find that a primer seats easily, I mark the primer with a sharpie, and, after I have shot it, I discard the case. An observation that I have made is that usually my groups with lose primers are actually quite good...no reason to mistrust the round.

best wishes,

Finman

If you seat a primer and it feels loose to the point you want to reject the case why not simply remove the primer with a decapping die/neck sizer and reuse it?

I've done this many times, if youre gentle you can punch out the primer without touching the neck at all.

Failing that mark the case head and use them as foulers etc before discarding

Mark

Marking, good idea. I just don't really like using them; rearward obturation and all that.

I'd rather cull them before sticking a primer in; I feel that fully loading them becomes a waste of yet more components - as I end up producing a round I don't fully trust (but more in performance terms than safety).

If you seat a primer and it feels loose to the point you want to reject the case why not simply remove the primer with a decapping die/neck sizer and reuse it?

Mark,

Are you serious? :unsure: That sounds a little too Darwinian for me :o

I give them a squirt of WD40 to neutralise the primer compound and chuck them away.

Hate wasting them, but not enough to risk body parts :rolleyes::lol::)

Just go gentle, they pop out with ease.

FWIW I dont think you'll find wd40 kills them!! Worst case just fire off the empty primed case in your rifle

MArk

(still with all his appendages in their proper places)

I have too say that I do the same as Mark, just don't look down the case neck when the pin hits the primer. I have done hundreds like this without issue, I'm not saying it is right, but it works for me.

Mark, Ian,

Blimey.

Wondering if I've misunderstood; what are you using to push them out? - a normal sizing die with a normal decapping pin? (in a press?)

Mark, Ian,

Blimey.

Wondering if I've misunderstood; what are you using to push them out? - a normal sizing die with a normal decapping pin? (in a press?)

Matt my reply was a bit tongue in cheek, to answer your question I use my neck die or if I remember my Lee universal decapping die in my press.

Matt put some safety specs on and carefully pop the primers out on a press and you should be fine.

I have done a few rounds like this and never had an issue but as they say pay your money and take your choice.

Matt

The live primers pop out ever so easily I really wouldn't worry about

pushing them out with your press. A + for safety glasses though.

I reckon with .308 Lapua brass, even if you hot load you should get quite

a few firings but watch for an imprint from the ejector pin hole in the

boltface, that is a pretty good indication that you are generating enough

pressure to need to be very aware of your primer pockets. I have loaded

some of my brass more than 20 times.

Dont forget that when the bullet is fired the pressure not only pushes the

primer back against the boltface, it also pushes the edges of the primer

against the sides of the primer pocket creating a seal much like the case

neck. I tend to keep using my brass until the primers feel loose

enough that they could push back out by hand (hard push)

Rup

Archived