case neck lubrication

TonyH

I've always used Lee or Redding water-soluble case lube but I'd like to try this "mica" dry lube I hear about. This is for necks only, inside as well as out, and I'd prefer something that wouldn't contaminate powder i.e. I don't want to have to wash cases yet again after resizing... So what is "mica" and under what name might I find it in UK, and where?

Thanks, Tony

Imperial dry neck lube is very good but the powder is very messy - get the little tub of coated ceramic beads and it's going to save a lot of clean up when you eventually spill the pot all over the bench :wacko: I'm sure you could find graphite/mica powder cheaper without branding but the amount used is tiny and the beads are way less faff...

Redding Imperial

I've found it helps a lot when loading Scenars deep for my 6BR. Reloading solution carry it if you can't find a local supplier.

Tony

Imperial dry neck lube is very good but the powder is very messy - get the little tub of coated ceramic beads and it's going to save a lot of clean up when you eventually spill the pot all over the bench :wacko: I'm sure you could find graphite/mica powder cheaper without branding but the amount used is tiny and the beads are way less faff...

Redding Imperial

I've found it helps a lot when loading Scenars deep for my 6BR. Reloading solution carry it if you can't find a local supplier.

Tony

Tony, thanks, just the sort of specific advice I was after. Those coated beads look just the job - no mess, straightforward. I doubt extremely if my local suppliers would have this product but I already deal with Reloading Solutions, visit them occasionally, so I'll order and stock up.

Thanks again, Tony

Another vote for Imperial Sizing Wax, so good I used to get mine from the USA, assuming your son/daughter/wife does not use it lieu of hair wax a single tin will last for years.

• 5 months later...

Hello everybody and sorry to jump in.

You need to lube to neck size ?

I'm new to this so all help appreciated.

ATB,Nelly.

In theory this depends on the bushing, plain bushing need lube even for neck sizing, Redding Titanium Nitrided (Gold coloured) can be run dry but I still use a little Imperial sizing wax. Personal preference really. For for Forster bushings I polish a small lead into the internal diameter and use ISW which works very well for me.

Where do you get imperial sizing wax from?

I've not found a reliable source for it yet.

Rich

Reloading Solutions near Oxford keep it as a standard line - hope they have some in stock. I use the Imperial dry-lube (on recommendation from Tony, above), a pot of tiny ceramic beads coated in graphite, perfect for case necks, quick & easy - got that from RS.

Tony

In theory this depends on the bushing, plain bushing need lube even for neck sizing, Redding Titanium Nitrided (Gold coloured) can be run dry but I still use a little Imperial sizing wax. Personal preference really. For for Forster bushings I polish a small lead into the internal diameter and use ISW which works very well for me.

Thanks Davy

One thing I should add is even the TiNi coated bushes wear out over a period of time so it is important to make sure the case neck is as clean as possible to minimise wear and damage of both the case and the bushing.

Archived