As regards rear bags I'm a luddite.

I've never given them a lot of thought and have always tended towards field (pocket!) portability rather than absolute stability.

I spent a couple of years carrying a rear 'bipod' of 2 x 6" lengths of dowel joined with tape at one end - a hangover from trying to 'up' my accuracy with normal sporter stalking rifles. They work; but are 'sub-optimal' for other uses.

rearbagsticks.jpg

Getting a bit more 'range-oriented' I graduated to a bean bag filled with polycarbonate beads -this was a cut-off NBC sleeve with the slack being used to tip excess beads out of the way for large elevation changes. Worked pretty well; but a bit heath robinson and not quite 'field' or 'range' optimised.

rearbagnbc.jpg

I now walk around with something similar - a cordura pillow filled with polystyrene micro-beads - virtually weightless; but I find I struggle to get absolutely rock solid support.

So.... other than the abuse I'm due for revealing my luddite approach :rolleyes: ; what are you using that gives rock solid support?

For my purposes I want the Nirvana of a pocketable rear-rest that could be used competitively for McQueens. Is there such a beast?!

Grateful for pics/links of/to recommended choices.

(Also be useful if you could highlight whether you think a particular option is "Field optimised", "Range Optimised" or "Bench-rest/F-Class Optimised")

Thanks!

Didn't know that you can use a bag-bag for the McQueen.

But, the squashy bag you already have is used by a few competent F/TR shooters who must make small adjustments from the back rather than the front rest as with Open F Class shooters.

For a really solid 'benchrest' platform, go for a leather bag with Cordura 'ears' and fill it with the heaviest sand you can carry! Pack the body tight but leave the ears a bit flexible.

If you shoot off a bi-pod with a bunny-ear benchrest-type back-bag, then don't pack it so tight and make your fine adjustments by squeezing the bag.

Cheers

Vince

Thanks Vince,

I was hoping for a half-way house solution; I've got a rucksac strap around my squashy bag so that I can set a certain operating height by tightening/loosening the strap; but it's nowhere near as stable as 'posh bags' I've tried - they almost feel like cheating!

Is there a preferred brand that the F-TR fellows are using?

Didn't know that you can use a bag-bag for the McQueen.

That comment piqued my interest; hardly shot this comp at all (twice!) but intending to ramp-up, so just had a google frenzy looking for 6580 rules. They state sandbag and/or bipod. [surprised to note that the Imperial rules go further and mandate that all rounds are to be magazine fed and no single loading; doubt that's widely known -but i may be wrong! :rolleyes: ].

6580.. ...Position: prone, with a sandbag rest if required and/or bipod

Matt,

A good rear bag makes a lot of difference, and they are not all alike. Up until recently I thought that the filling, other than not being rice/split peas or anything else 'edible' did not really matter, so long as the fill was about right (some bags a stuffed to the gunnels rendering the adjustable 'pinch' useless). Until I tried one of the new TAB items filled with a 'better' plastic bead.

I'm now a convert, it is noticibly better and 'locks up' once you're settled. The addition of a couple of straps also means you can attach the bag to your bi-pod when moving position, say from sitting to standing off a barricade. See:

DSC00169.jpg

I'd go as far as to say not using a rear bag, for me, negates the advantage of a custom built rifle over a factory one - by a long chaulk!

Brgds

T.H(s.l.d.) :ph34r:

T.H(s.l.d.) Thanks!

Wondering if there's anything a little more 'shaped' out there -halfway house between bean bag and rabbit-ears?

[as always, I think I may be after something that may not exist!]

[Edit: Just had a google: this is probably the sort of halfway house I mean; the caldwell almost looks like a bean bag with ears!

The stoney point looks to be just that - but looks too wide too be squeezable(?)

rearrestcaldwell.jpg

rearreststoney.jpg ]

What are the rest of you using?!

Dave,

You don't happen to have sufficient Zircon sand kicking round to fill a SEB rear?

I've and empty one sitting in my cellar I need to 'stuff' :(

Brgds Terry

Dave,

You don't happen to have sufficient Zircon sand kicking round to fill a SEB rear?

Brgds Terry

Sorry Terry can't help you on that one :(

It took me a load to fill that one, I was amazed at how much it took, it must be a tardis on the inside.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry Terry can't help you on that one :(

It took me a load to fill that one, I was amazed at how much it took, it must be a tardis on the inside.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

That thing sounds like a 2-man lift! :lol:

I'm trying to find something like an upgraded bean-bag -that I can carry :lol::)

Dave,

Brgds Terry

Terry,what about some lead shot then top up with some sand from down Bood beach !!!!Par beach is better sand praps I will sell you some next time yer down,hehehe Onehole.

Dave,

Good idea, how much a kg? :lol: But seriously, as I'm not shooting F-class the lead shot'd do it.

Matt,

You might be trying for two different results here and end up with multipurpose-multiuseless.

The SEB type rear bags are really good for prone or off the bench but in a 'mobile' situation, e.g. Czech comp, a good bean bag is your friend. It will work better off the knees etc. and pretty good prone.

A 'bean' bag will also allow quicker adjustments than a bunny eared rear. The benchrest/F-class rears are normally used in conjuction with some form of adjustable front rest e.g. SEB or Farley co-ax. So the rear is static,designed to be that way, the front rest moves. With the bipod it's the other way round - if that made sense?

Cheers Terry

A 'bean' bag will also allow quicker adjustments than a bunny eared rear. The benchrest/F-class rears are normally used in conjuction with some form of adjustable front rest e.g. SEB or Farley co-ax. So the rear is static,designed to be that way, the front rest moves. With the bipod it's the other way round - if that made sense?

Yup absolutely thanks.

Do you reckon the idea of, say, the Caldwell above filled such that the main body is squeezable might be a workable solution? (as I typed that, I realised the answer will be 'no' :lol: )

(Can't remember, were poly beads the no-no fill mentioned earlier?)

AO,

Also have a Redman bag, The name tag can be personalised (handy) and the straps are good, it's well made product 'but' found it 'too stuffed' to comply and the basic design of being round section does not work off your knees too well, also unless attached to your rifle, will tend to roll off narrow ledges that you are presented with in comps e.g. bus windows, seat backs or similar. Under time pressure this is a real bugger :angry:

Went over to the 'bean bag' shape as, with the correct filling quantity and type, can be stood on end or laid flat with similar rigid results.

Come to think of this, if anyone wants a Redman to try they can have mine (It's got 'English' on the name tag so pretty generic :lol: ).

Just my 2 pence worth, not wanting to get into a slinging match, just passing on what I've found. Best bet is to try the two designs side by side and you'll see what I'm on about.

Brgds Terry

Hi Terry

I wouldn't question your comments as I bought mine for a relatively straight forward task for which it works just fine. I haven't tried it in any other applications like those you have described and I can see the challenges it would create.... not good. I made myself another rear / front bag that utilised some plastic granules eddie gave me some years back now. This is pillow shaped and very versatile and I must admit, it is the one I reach for almost everytime.

If anyone has the ideal ration of filling to bag size I would love to hear it, I always seem to get it wrong both under and over filling.

ATB

OA

Archived