Case weight variation

whoowhoop

Just to try to remove as many variables as possible, I am just starting to weigh my cases.

What variation in weight would you consider acceptable?

For example , I just weighed some primed ( cos they were handy) 223 brass and got 50% at 94.3g + /- 0.2g, with the rest 93.7 to 95.5.

I accept that some of the variation will be down to the inclusion of the primer.

Or do you think I should get out more?

And another question on case weights, when you have weighed them and sorted them out how do you sort them for reloading and shooting??? when you have established they are different what do you do with them? ive always wondered that :)

Steve

I must admit that I do sort cases by weight when using Winchester brass, if it's Lapua, Norma or RWS then I wouldn't bother.

Everything I have read says that sorting cases by weight is largely a waste of time, other than mentally it may help!

Internal case capacity is where the real difference is.

Went to the factory of a major ammunition manufacturer once. I raised the question of case weighing/batching. They showed me a test involving thousands of cases - weight v velocity - there was no obvious pattern.

If it makes you feel good - do it.

Cheers

Vince

Just to try to remove as many variables as possible, I am just starting to weigh my cases.

What variation in weight would you consider acceptable?

For example , I just weighed some primed ( cos they were handy) 223 brass and got 50% at 94.3g + /- 0.2g, with the rest 93.7 to 95.5.

I accept that some of the variation will be down to the inclusion of the primer.

Or do you think I should get out more?

Weigh if you must, but... Weighing cases with primers in them is a complete waste of time.~Muir

I used to weigh mine and load in batches of same weight initiallly, when I shoot i just shove the fired cases into a plastic pot to await reloading once I get about 30 of a type to do. Of course all the weights get mixed. I don't now bother with case weights but do weigh and batch bullets.

A

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input.

I will now stop walking down this particular tunnel.

There are many tunnels,very many!!!!If you have the time to investigate them all I say go for it and I,m sure you will come across some very interesting observations but it will do your head in!!hehe!!I freely admit to experimenting and trying many many different tips and complicated tricks,trouble is once you get to something like understanding what is really working you,ve got 500 rounds up your precious barrel.One thing I have learnt though is never assume anything,ever.Regds Onehole.

Archived