New Barrels

onehole

Up until now I have never had the opportunity to look at barrels in the raw and having just received some tubes for future rebuilds I thought I would share with you what they look like and the info stamped on the thick end of things.These are Bartlein HV gain twist tubes 30 , 6.5 and a 6mm which is a straight eight.Hope you find this interesting.onehole.

IMG_1398.jpg

That's interesting, take the one in the centre for example I'm guessing the number around the out side is it's serial number, SS is the type of metal in this case stainless steel, .256 and .264 tollerence range? but whats 9.35 and 5RT?

Cheers

Andy

Right,The gain twist barrels start their twist rate at a slow rate and then spin up to a slightly faster rate so the 6.5 barrel starts at the chamber end at 1 twist in 9.35 inches of barrel through to 8.4735 at the muzzle end.The 30 cal barrel starts at 12.5 through to 11.985. The 5R stamp is to denote that the tube has 5 groove radiused rifling instead of the more normal straight edged rifling ie the edges are radiused.Radiused rifling is thought to clean up better I believe or rather not to foul up so much??potentially.The bore dimensions ie say 256-264 denote bore to land measurements.Pretty sure I got that lot correct in general terms but a smithy may come on here and add a bit more professional explanation.

Middle barrel

5r - canted rifling (5R)

T - Transitional twist

.256 - land nominal diameter

.264 - groove nominal diameter

9.35 - start twist of rifling

8.4735 - end twist rifling

SS - stainless steel.

Outer number - not sure.

Middle barrel

5r - canted rifling (5R)

T - Transitional twist

.256 - land nominal diameter

.264 - groove nominal diameter

9.35 - start twist of rifling

8.4735 - end twist rifling

SS - stainless steel.

Outer number - not sure.

Thank you Ronin, 1 out of 7 right, puts me at the bottom of the class.....must be why I'm a pest controller and not a gunsmith :D

Cheers

Andy

Not gunsmith - maybe one day..

"Interested Amateur" is what I prefer :)

Archived