Recommendations + advice needed!

SilentKiss

Hi all,

Need some advice.

I have just acquired a .223 Remmington Police Rifle with Harris bipod.

The main use for the rifle will be for targets out to 600 yards with a view to putting it on ticket for Fox and Deer in the future.

I don't have thousands to spend, budget between £500-£1000 maximum, not adverse to second hand.

I'm open to suggestions and your knowledge.

Thanks

SK

( my history of shooting if it helps it targets .22/.44 and vermin control with .22lr)

Hi all,

Need some advice.

The main use for the rifle will be for targets out to 600 yards with a view to putting it on ticket for Fox and Deer in the future.

I don't have thousands to spend, budget between £500-£1000 maximum, not adverse to second hand.

Thanks

SK

( my history of shooting if it helps it targets .22/.44 and vermin control with .22lr)

what are you asking advice for range or hunting?

Also what deer species do you think you can shoot in the UK with a 223?

what are you asking advice for range or hunting?

Also what deer species do you think you can shoot in the UK with a 223?

This is in the riflescopes section so I reckon he wants to know about scopes for rifles.

I imagine he'll be looking to shoot Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer in England and Wales and Roe in Scotland with his .223.

:)

most of the lads that do a mixture of long range shooting for vermin and targets use nightforce scopes. have a read up on them it will give you some sort of idea on them and the different models and rectical's they do.

they go for around £850 to £1000 secondhand depending on what model you have. i no a guy that does them brand new for not much more then that pm me if your interested and i can give you his details.

Hi all,

Need some advice.

Thanks

SK

The what scope question is a massive can of worms.

I'd start by looking at Schmidt & Bender and Nightforce scopes in the 3-12x ish magnification range. Read up on use of MOA and MIL reticles and turret and first and second focal plane reticle positioning. snipershide.com forum and site has lots on this.

For static target shooting a good complement to a bipod is an eared back bag (such as http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=922723).

This is in the riflescopes section so I reckon he wants to know about scopes for rifles.

I imagine he'll be looking to shoot Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer in England and Wales and Roe in Scotland with his .223.

:)

I know that but does he want a scope for hunting, targets or both?

i asked him about which deer species you can shoot with a 223 in the UK as you will be surprised how many people dont know what they can shoot with 223 in the UK and Scotland

he was vague in his request so i was just asking him!!!

I know that but does he want a scope for hunting, targets or both?

i asked him about which deer species you can shoot with a 223 in the UK as you will be surprised how many people dont know what they can shoot with 223 in the UK and Scotland

he was vague in his request so i was just asking him!!!

Easy chaps, as per my original post the rifle will mainly be used for Targets to start and fox and deer in the future. So I require a dual purpose scope.....

Snowz I'm well aware of the calibre required for deer in England, and as AHPP pointed out the .223 is valid for fox and muntjac deer, and .240 and above for larger species.

AHPP thanks for the link I will have a good read up, I do like the look of the night force scopes, two of my friends have them on the .50cals.

Easy chaps, as per my original post the rifle will mainly be used for Targets to start and fox and deer in the future. So I require a dual purpose scope.....

Snowz I'm well aware of the calibre required for deer in England, and as AHPP pointed out the .223 is valid for fox and muntjac deer, and .240 and above for larger species.

AHPP thanks for the link I will have a good read up, I do like the look of the night force scopes, two of my friends have them on the .50cals.

Nightforce have the features.

S&B have the class.

Read, muse and report back what you're thinking.

You wont go far wrong getting yourself a used Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR.

perfect for distance and crank down the power for closer fox's under the lamp.

Ian.

Welcome SilentKiss

I reckon Ian's suggestion covers all bases. Let us know what you decide on.

Cheers

Steve

Hi - didn mean to come across as arrogant in my first post.

The reason i asked what you wanted a scope for was to see what type of shooting you would of been starting with and then moving on too because you only want to buy once and buy the best the first time.

e.g. If you was going to say start stalking first and bought a fixed mag scope it would bee useless at long range targets etc,

and as too the stalking i was only asking as there are a lot on people about at the moment using CF rifles and not knowing what they can and cant shoot with their caliber rifle so was just asking if you knew before anything was said or done by accident

as for scope any of the above mentioned scopes will be ideal for your needs, if you can try and have a look through as many as you can in daylight, dusk and under the lamp and see what suits your eye and budget its a lot of money to buy something to no be able to get on with it etc

atb Richard

Hi Mate.

Scope choice is a very personal thing , but here are a couple of pointers.

Firstly , Choose quality glass ware - Optically the scope should perform under differing light conditions and shooting environments. It also needs to be totally reliable and repeatable ( if you going to dial in at long range )

Secondly , if your thinking of doing abit of long range work , then choose a scope with a good magnifacation. A minimum of 16 mag - but preferably higher IMO .

Yes you can do it with 10 or 12 mag , but why make things more difficult than they need to be.

Lastly - Reticule choice is very important - Thin target reticules are wank at dusk or on the lamp - and a thick xhair will block out smaller targets ( especially at long range )

From my experience of owning or using these scopes , this is how i would rate them.

First - Zeiss 6-24x56 victory IR (43 ret ) currently own 3 of these ( they are the best scope I have used )

Second - S & B 5-25x56 PM2 - ( used a pals ) - superb optics and build quality - FOV not quite as good a the victory

Third - Swarovski 6-24x50 ( TD4 ret ) Excellent scope - The 6-18x50 is also excellent ( owned both of these )

Fourth - IOR 6-24x56 IR - ( only looked through a friends ) great optics - but some think they are quite ugly.

Fifth - Zeiss conquest 6-20x50 ( mildot ) Top optics and totally reliable. ( you can pick a used one up for about £650 )

Hope this will give you some idea's

ATB

Alan

Thanks for all the above info.

I have a question relating to Magnification. Although you could class the Remmy as effective out to 600 Yards realistically when i use it for the likes of Fox etc they will be under 300 Yards!

Is there any advantage to a higher and more expensive Piece of glass as opposed to a Lower Mag Scope. So for example a 3-9 or a 4-15 mag?

Lower mag will give you a wider field of view and easier/faster target aquisition, this is good for shooting under a lamp at night where 8x will cover 95% of shots. A 3x9 would be a non starter at much above 300 yards though and a 4x14 at about 350 yards, got a 3x9 and have had a 4x14. Sir Slots a lot has got it right, buy quality, if necessary dont be afraid to buy used.

A

if it's on any help I have a 5-30 Z6 and when I'm out foxing which is only really ever out to 300 yards and mine stays on between 8 and 10 power (that's with the zoom ring nib pointing directly vertically so I don't have to fiddle at night).

Prior to shooting long range I had a 8-56 S&B and it was superb.

Archived