Mckillop rifles 6mmbr first test drive:-)

skany

Hi guys

picked up 6br from Micillop riffles(aka Dasherman) on thursday & ive been itching to get out & try so today in some pretty poor conditions i got to put some rnds thru it!

spec as follows

mcmillan A5

lawton action/jewle

pacnor 1-8twist sendro

It was a 243Ai(1-12twist) but i fancyed something that would shoot the 105g bullets & liked the idea of spotting more of my hits so 6br came around after lots of indecision

I specked the throte on the rifle to give me a chance of shooting the light weight bullets as well as the heavys even tho most recomend not to as the faster twist is more suited to the heavys!

anyway I loaded up some 55g noslers wich are miles of the lands & hangin right out the case neck

some 65g vmax wich were 10 tho off

& some 105g amax half with mag primers & half with br4's!

it shot every bullet & every powder charge lights out!

the mv of the 55g noslers was 3700fps +with no sign of presure so i have some room to play with there me thinks(hmmm 22-250 performace with better BC

I wanted the rifle to do double duty as a foxer & long range vermin/plinker & she sure isent goin to disapoint!

ill say another big thanks to Neil/Dasherman for doing another top job in super quick time again

cheers Andy

Hi Andy, hope those 105 Amax work a treat for you.

Neil builds a cracking rifle.

Try some N540 or Reloader 15.

The Yanks also like 30 grains of varget with a 105.

You should have one hell of an accurare rifle.

Get some pictures up.

Cheers

Dave

Neil builds a great rifle,I've had my 6mmbr that he built for me nearly two years now and it's still shooting fantastic.

I shoots Berger,Amax and lapua 105's in the .1's-.2's all with 29gr's of Varget and 87gr Vmax in the .3's with 31gr's I tried 75gr Vmax which shot about .5 but it doesn't like 70gr matchkings, I should really try some 55gr BT's what powder and charge did you use?

Welcome to the 6BR club.

BB

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/Andykat/IMAGE_438.jpg

heres a picy to start with:-)

Dave

first testing with the Amax is very good mate velocity is a bit low with vit 150 so far im around 2830 but acuracy was spot on!

not sure ican go much more with 150 as the bullet was jsut touching the powder altho no presure signs with anything i tried other then s bit of flatening of the primer!!

barrel length i went with 27"

with the 55g bullets im using aa2230 wich is what the yanks use to get almost 4k out of a 6br & 55s with!(ive worked up to 34g of the stuff!)

cheers Andy

Andy,

what difference did you see when using Mag and Br primers?

about 10fps average less mv with the mags & all went in the same hole as br4s so nothing in it so far altho i wasnet looking at es/sd to much as i thought id worry about that once the brass has all been fromed/shot once & the barrel is shot in!

cheers Andy

NICE LOOKING RIFLE THERE SKANY,

NEIL DID A 6BR FOR ME AND THAT SHOT VERY WELL.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT

ATB ANDY

Thanks Andy

is very mild to shoot after the 243AI & 308

looking forward to bunny popping time again!

cheers Andy

6mmbr is the way forward. Neil builds a sweet rifle.

I am a firm believer in varget. Check out my 6mmbr thread to see my best group with the a-max. I can shoot out to 500 yards all day long with the 87gr load.

Hi

Im really prety much sorted now as ive got a fast light load for foxing & the amax for long range altho i have got some 87s here i could use up i guess:-)

cheers Andy

Try some RL 15 with the Amax, you should be able to get them just shy of 3000 fps.

The 6BR is a superb calibre and I have taken mine out to 1200 yards and quite often use it at 1000.

I'm interested in your accuracy with the 55 grain Noslers and a 1-8 twist barrel.

Nice Andy,real nice.I just shoot the AMax105,s as you know, they do it all mate and if you want to squeeze more accuracy if the AMax,s go off in a batch then the Berger 105LTB,s do it real easy.

When you got one or two or three rifles it does my head in to get a rifle using several heads,fun to find out though but I now stick to a rifle using only one head fit for purpose.Think we have had the conversation but watch RL15 if you try it and like it as it can run a bit dirty and carb up the first few inches of bore.May not be everyones findings but happens in two of my rifles[6br&6.5/47] if I dont proper brush clean now and again.Bye.

lovely rifle andy. im sure it will be a great all rounder. heavier bullets for long range shooting and lighter bullets for foxing.

neil's work from what ive sene on here and the write ups of the rifles performance after setting up in the field are 1st class.

atb jamie

Try some RL 15 with the Amax, you should be able to get them just shy of 3000 fps.

The 6BR is a superb calibre and I have taken mine out to 1200 yards and quite often use it at 1000.

I'm interested in your accuracy with the 55 grain Noslers and a 1-8 twist barrel.

Hi Ian

thats a decent mv for sure :o

but id be happy with about 2900ish altho im sure it would be fine @2830ish like it is!

im gona try vit 140 as its easy to get & my mate hs some i can blag :o:blush:

I was hopefull of the lighter stuff as i realy wanted this rifle to do double duty & i read that the nosler stay together when over spun :blink:

when ive finalised my load ill let you know wht is!

im goin to set them deaper in the neck as they are in hardley at all arund 30 tho ish :wacko:

they are already jumping a fair way & it may make me less likely to damage one!

the throte on mine is .74 & in no mans land really!

cheers Andy

Nice Andy,real nice.I just shoot the AMax105,s as you know, they do it all mate and if you want to squeeze more accuracy if the AMax,s go off in a batch then the Berger 105LTB,s do it real easy.

When you got one or two or three rifles it does my head in to get a rifle using several heads,fun to find out though but I now stick to a rifle using only one head fit for purpose.Think we have had the conversation but watch RL15 if you try it and like it as it can run a bit dirty and carb up the first few inches of bore.May not be everyones findings but happens in two of my rifles[6br&6.5/47] if I dont proper brush clean now and again.Bye.

cheers dave ill bear that in mind if they dont remain good!

after the 243ai carbon expriance ill be brushing now & then :ph34r:

i fully intend to get a turret zero with the 105g Amax then mark the 55g zero with a sharpie & leave well alone(well apart for usig up some in stock 6mm stuff for kicks :unsure: )

cheers Andy

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from a bit more testing with the new toy!

wind was pretty good around 5mph so set a target @200 & carried on messing with the laods!

now i had a slight problem that showed when i started to re prep the brass i fired on the first sesion!

I noticed there was a layer of soot on the neck & shoulder of the 55g loads!

turns out the necks werent blowing out & sealing in the chamber wich was confirmed by measuring the neck diameter which was the same as my bushing !(.268)

I had to seat the noslers a full 40 tho deaper to get them to seal thanks good for a lee hand press! :wub:

so far im still at 3720fps(still no presure signs) with the 55 noslers @ they were around the .5" @yds 200 !

i didnt increase the powder charge from last time as i wanted to seat them deeper & wasent sure wht the presure was going to do!

I ddint manage t get any vit 140 so i jsut made up some more with 150 to get some brass formed & i seemed to get 2 bullets in the same hole & one about 3/8ths of a inch off!(again @ 200ydws)

I tried 10tho into the lands & 10 tho off but both were the same shaped group!

but rain stoped play & i didnt get to try the rest of my rnds with mag primers @ differnt seating deapths!

so im still well pleased @ this early stage:-)

pluss ive got a foxing load ready to rock now! :ph34r:

cheers Andy

Archived