Something different for a Foxing rifle

Ronin

Ive had the privelidge of putting together a few rifles using top drawer components.

I was asked a while ago to make a foxing rifle with the supplied parts:

BAT SV action

Bartlein fluted barrel

Jewel (no safety)

BAT 1" rings

The rifle is chambered in 22-250 Rem, its now going to be fitted with a special piece of walnut made by a certain Mr Gary Cane....

Cannot wait to see the end product.

The SV is a single shot action with a shrouded area forward of the actual action face, which is about an inch inside the shroud - a beautiful, lightweight, precision made action.

DSCN2376.jpg

DSCN2366.jpg

DSCN2367.jpg

DSCN2372.jpg

DSCN2370.jpg

DSCN2371.jpg

They are standard height (for BAT) inch rings, I think a Zeiss of some form or another is going on top, probably a 50mm objective.

The stock is going to be fitted to the owner so a cheekpiece of the correct height will no doubt be formed to suit cheek weld and eye alignment..

That's a nice looking piece. Like the others I'm keen to see pictures of the finished product.

There's something special about custom rifles. They're so nice to use and also you have the knowledge that your gun may be the only one of its kind. I wish I could afford to have something like that built!

As Dave says, the recoil lug is the U shaped recess underneath the action. Simple and elegant idea.

Thats interesting ....I wonder what sort of issues would arise when choosing, and bedding the action into a stock ?

None,

if it were me, I would prepare the barreled action so that the barrel is parallel and action sits as it should, then bed in one go inserting pillars at the same time for a completely stress free and perfect job :D

What recoil lug arrangement does the action utilise ?

There is also the recessed tang which i do believe is the main recoil arrestor.

my Stiller Predator single shot also has a recess in the bottom but because it has a remington/winchester style flush tang, recoil forces are best absorbed by a lug in the usual position.

Ian

I look forward to seeing the finished rifle Andy. I have to say though that those rings look awfully high?

They look high simply because there is no rail. In fact they are the right height for a 56mm scope to fit on straight taper barrel. They are a neat solution, bolt direct to the action and very light. I have a set in 30mm but unfortunately BAT don't make any in 34mm.

Archived