Anodising Service

Anaxes

Does anyone have a recommendation for a company that could anodise firearms parts? It's for an AR-15 upper receiver. I'd like to be able to deliver it if possible, so somewhere in the South-west would be ideal.

Thanks very much.

I know john carr has his actions n bolts coated by a firm for him , he is RFD . Resoloution Precision , may be able to help 

On 9/4/2018 at 4:29 PM, Moorlander said:

how about cerokote ?

Yes, I'll probably have it cerakoted as well.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, gunner said:

I know john carr has his actions n bolts coated by a firm for him , he is RFD . Resoloution Precision , may be able to help 

OK, thanks. I'll keep him in mind.

No point in having it anodised if you are going to cerakote it. The only type of anodising suitable for painting over the top, is the dull, open pored type. Type 3 [ i think its called] the shiny, very hard finish, is not a good base.

Any painter worth his salt will blast it off anyway.

I remove all anodising before paint, and do all my AR15's this way.

Anodizing is an electrochemical treatment that alters the surface structure of materials such as aluminium

It is generally clear or slightly gray in colour and forms an anti-corrosion "crust" on the surface of the material, which also adds some surface hardness

The colours you see on anodized parts such as the black on AR15 receivers are achieved through dyeing after anodizing and are done in a hot water bath. The colour is not the anodize, it's the dye

These dyes can be as simple as food or clothes dyes

Thanks again. This has been very informative. I've spoken to a couple of metal finishing companies now and the legalities of handling firearms parts are preventative, although I will specifically recommend this company as having been extremely helpful and willing to accommodate one-off projects.

Archived