Tikka T3x Varmint set trigger "jerk"

While getting familiar with my T3x I noticed that my groups when using "set" trigger are not better than when using standard, heavy setting. I also noticed a slight jerk when using "set", even when dry firing. Am I imagining things or have someone else noticed that too?

Michal

Just because it has a set-trigger does not in any way make the rifle shoot tighter groups - it will come down to you, the shooter, to adjust and control your shooting; control your breathing, position and, as importantly, your trigger pull ..etc etc......(I'm assuming you're already aware of that though)

I can only try to describe the 'movement'??.. of the set-trigger on my T3X

It slips in to the set position with unmistakable tangibility - you hear the soft sound of the 'click', and feel it, with no 'jerk' or sound of the trigger spring. It is sweet, almost gentle and it feels like I'm caressing it to the set position.... (expand on your definition of 'jerk'??)  ... Upon firing, there is no 'jerk' whatsoever, with no sideways movement or slackness, and when it breaks it's like tapping very fine glass, every time...

And, you will achieve exactly the same results when you're not using the set option, as you will when you are using it - it's 8oz of beauty, enjoy it

If you're in doubt take to a qualified Smith .....(or stop imagining things ;)

ATB

12 hours ago, palo said:

I just prefer a standard trigger set fairly light or a 2 stage trigger, both with very little overtravel. 

I never liked the way the set trigger jumped back on release. 

I'd agree. I went off the idea of set trigger a while ago and prefer the idea of having one decent pull to learn rather than two different ones; plus single-set units also increase the reach to the trigger when set; which is also a pain IMO. That said I can perhaps see the appeal in certain specific situations where a heavier pull would otherwise be more desirable most of the time.

From what I can remember of playing with a CZ item some time ago setting the trigger cocks a sprung mass which is released when the trigger is tripped, striking the sear and firing the rifle. If the Tikka unit is similar this is probably where the perceived disturbance is coming from. It's also worth noting that this system will also incur a lock time penalty; although I wouldn't like to speculate on how significant this would be in the real world..

On 04 July 2018 at 3:12 AM, MichalS said:

Theres definitely something to it, I checked and see a tiny movement in the scope even when dry firing. I guess it's the "set" mechanism causing a vibration.

If you are perceiving a slight movement of the crosshair/ret on dry firing this is actually something I and many others have experienced with all sorts of rifles/scopes and triggers combinations and it is quite normal.It is definitely not or very unusually a fault within the scope or anything else but purely an observation of minute shooter movement at that very moment or rather lock time that occurs when deciding to squeeze the trigger and the firing pin travel from release to contact. Control over this movement can be reduced with shooter "control",,,good follow through technique etc etc. A short firing pin travel or faster lock time will reduce this perceived movement but generally as long as good control and trigger pull is consistent accuracy should not be affected. In the same way that lock time is key so is barrel time and hence why the humble 22lr is actually a somewhat difficult rifle to shoot!! it has a slow barrel time due to its relatively low velocity and hence plenty of time for the shooter to pull off before the bullet has actually left the barrel,,,in other words "movement" of the shooter and rifle and this is what you are seeing in your scope,,,,,,its small but it,s there!!!!....Machine rest a rifle and you would not see this movement....See the lengths that benchrest shooters go to for example ,,,,,rail guns etc,,,,,,,all to erase shooter movement amongst other reasons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,O

18 hours ago, onehole said:

If you are perceiving a slight movement of the crosshair/ret on dry firing this is actually something I and many others have experienced with all sorts of rifles/scopes and triggers combinations and it is quite normal.It is definitely not or very unusually a fault within the scope or anything else but purely an observation of minute shooter movement at that very moment or rather lock time that occurs when deciding to squeeze the trigger and the firing pin travel from release to contact. Control over this movement can be reduced with shooter "control",,,good follow through technique etc etc. 

This is not shooter induced movement. I shoot air rifle (Olympic discipline) ~ 610pts, rifle prone ~620pts, I know when I pulled a shot... There is no noticable movement on my part when shooting from a rest.

Michal

20 hours ago, MichalS said:

This is not shooter induced movement. I shoot air rifle (Olympic discipline) ~ 610pts, rifle prone ~620pts, I know when I pulled a shot... There is no noticable movement on my part when shooting from a rest.

Michal

Your problem has been discussed on here before. Do a search for the thread. IIRC it was a long and detailed thread and an excellent thread at that....... (onehole, was you active in that thread?)....

With respect Michal, a centrefire rifle is a whole new ballgame compared to a .22lr. Testing by dry firing or not, best clamp your rifle and secure scope to correct torque to check. If there is a fault with the scope or, if you think the trigger is at fault. I would be inclined to think it will not be because of when you have the trigger in the set option, as it will act in exactly the same way as when using it in its standard option, in relation to scope interference.

ATB

15 hours ago, snakeman said:

Your problem has been discussed on here before. Do a search for the thread. IIRC it was a long and detailed thread and an excellent thread at that....... (onehole, was you active in that thread?)....

With respect Michal, a centrefire rifle is a whole new ballgame compared to a .22lr. Testing by dry firing or not, best clamp your rifle and secure scope to correct torque to check if there is a fault with the scope or, if you think the trigger is at fault. I would be inclined to think it will not be because of when you have the trigger in the set option, as it will act in exactly the same way as when using it in its standard option, in relation to scope interference.

ATB

Yep,,,I started a Topic called "Crosshair Hop" in the Comp Tech Target and Tact section,,,,,,,think it was done to conclusion,,,,,,,,,O

I was watching a fellow on YouTube who was also having his doubts about using the set trigger on his CZ 7.62x39. He fired like ammo types using the single set and the standard non-set trigger. The none set trigger delivered tighter groups across the board. This guy wasn't a world class shooter but his findings ran parallel to mine. I do not like single sets and prefer the non set triggers.~Andrew

I reached the time when a 2lb trigger became way too heavy for me on the range when trying to hold for ¾" target spots at 100yds and 200yds and 2" spots at 300yds and 400yds..... However, 2.5lb suits me nicely in the field when hunting, but that's a whole different application.

In itself the trigger as a component, and the manner in which the trigger functions, will not determine a rifle's accuracy - that, will be determined by a whole bunch of other things, none moreso than the person taking aim.

You either like the set-trigger, or you don't... Personally, I wouldn't be without it these days for target practice and I find it an essential asset to my (target) shooting. For me, it makes economical sense too; a trigger that's able to be set at between 7/9oz  already installed on the rifle, rather than forking out stupid money for a 'designer' trigger, and then additional outlay for a competent Smith to install it that in all probability will not further enhance what a 7/9oz can offer me.

Use the set option if you wish, or use the standard option if you prefer it that way too. But ultimately, what's not to enjoy about having the option of using it set and/or standard, and enjoying the best of both worlds?

ATB

Archived