McM A5 for stalking

Toby

I have used my A5 stocked 6.5x47 for stalking on foot over clearfell, from high seats and it works fine. The main problem with it is the weight but this is not helped by the M40 profile barrel and S&B PM2

a better option for general stalking is the PSE ETac that retains many of the features of the A5 with far less weight

A5 is a great prone stock and average for the other positions. An HTG adjustable is probably the best all round Tactical/Hunting stock from Mcmillan very versatile 

TOTALLY agree with HTG  Adjustable stock for stalking / tactical shoots.......A5 a bit clunky for the field.

I have both but if I had to choose only one it would be the HTG ADJ with no regrets.

Some ultra light A5 clones can weigh the same weight as a lightweight hunting stock. I have one that weighs 828grams with adjustable cheek. Perfect for prone and OK for the odd off-hand deer, I even shot running deer with mine but the pistol grip is not the best for that. Some crossover composite stocks are just so heavy that it takes the fun out of it. For stalking my take is, with modern higher mag/zoom range scopes one needs an adjustable cheek raiser to make a hunting stock more universal. The pistol grip should be much narrower than an A5 grip so that one can control the rifle with one hand better. No need for a wide forend even though there is not a lot of weight saved with a narrow forend however this depends on stock construction. Weight of stock at or under 1000 grams. Carbon is the way to go. Light and stiff.

edi

I had a McMillan A3-5 on a stalking rig, coped very well with it but its not ideal. If your sold on that design then go for the Etac as mentioned above. 

Edi, any information on when/if the new E-lite will be made for remington actions? I have a 700 long action footprint that would love to be fitted into one! 

Think the replies cover the op question.

Ive used Mac a5 for stalking and also Manners T2a variants for years before I moved over to carbon composite stocks manufactured in Ireland (PSE) The lighter weight and stronger construction make perfect carrying over long days culling or walking into animals in forestry or hill.

12 hours ago, brown dog said:

Edi, who answered higher up in this thread (and who, to his credit, played his answer with a very straight bat! ) is pse composites. :)

The Facebook quote was in response to the query about SA availability.

A bit late for the party but, I've got an a3-5 on my T3 .308, purposely bought for highseat work. It works very well apart from needing to drop the cheek piece to remove the bolt. I've happliy used it for general stalking too, it's a fairly heavy lump but not too bad.

Archived