UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Sound Mod Legalities

Jay Foxing

Hi all.

I believe according to law that any device which diminishes noise or flash is classed as a firearm.

HWH.

The flash eliminator on an AR15 or Mini 14 isn't. Buy one of them and only the rifle is entered on ticket, and they're take-offable (can't spel detatch, detach, whatever).

AAAAAAnd another thing. What about fully moderated barrels not needing the mod to go on ticket as it's part of the barrel. And sect2 shotguns like Hushpower?

Northernchris, I'll hang on to the soapbox the now :(:blink:

Another issue we haven't discussed is how it's recorded on your FAC. A T8 bored for .30, bought new for a .243 and entered onto a .243 moderator slot can then only be sold as a .243 moderator to someone who has a slot for one.

Are you sure this is correct!

I have an empty slot for a 243 moderator. So, if somebody on here for example offers a 243 mod that has been used on a 22 centrefire ticket then I can't buy it or they can't sell it to me for a 243?

I'm more confused by this strange grey area than ever.......... :(

Are you sure this is correct!

I have an empty slot for a 243 moderator. So, if somebody on here for example offers a 243 mod that has been used on a 22 centrefire ticket then I can't buy it or they can't sell it to me for a 243?

I'm more confused by this strange grey area than ever.......... :(

Thats what firearms licensing told me the other week. If I want to sell you a moderator that's on my ticket as a .243 mod, then I can't sell you it if your slot is for any other calibre.

If you're after one by the way, Lorraine has a .243 T8 she needs to sell. Put a PSS stock on her Remy 700 and the T8 won't fit the barrel now.

The simple solution to all this mint choc chip, is to deal with a shop, that will enter your newly bought moderator, as what it is. IE, a fullbore, or centrefire moderator. That is all the language the firearms act requires, and the serial number is marked as "NVN"...."no visible number" again, perfectly legal. DO NOT let your dealer put down the mod,s brand or make...its not legally required, and if done, limits the owner to buying the same brand again, if it wears out.

Unfortunatly, for tulky, his licensing dept is north wales....long reknowned as being a complete set of "nasty people". Unless you are prepared to take them to court, they will make it up as they go along.

DO NOT send mods for proof...its not legally required, and once stamped, you have this silly situation.

Chris... we gave up on birmingham years ago, as every gun came back damaged. I decided to give them a second chance last year, when Ronin kindly took me a gun when he was going...and they damaged that too.

London have generally been ok over the years, but its becoming blatantly obvious they now have a careless arsehole there, and strong words are going to be had shortly. Its not on, having to re do a full barrelled actions paint job because some monkey cant be bothered to handle it correctly.

Got the two .300 rum,s back today, which went for immediate proof...and took two weeks. Guess what ? they have managed to SNAP the trigger blade in two. No apology, no recompense, and a new trigger we have to pay for, as it was the customers.

They are a bad ####### joke.

• 9 years later...

Out of interest can a FAC /SGC holder have their firearm/shotgun re proofed without using an RFD ? I guess they would personally have to drop it of and collect if so?

I ask as I inherited an old S/S and the pitting in the barrels looks a bit suspect , it not worth much and I pass through Brum regularly.  

Anyone can take a firearm to proof.

As this is an exceptionally old thread, i'll add new comments.

I've been using Birmingham now for the last 3 years, and the situation couldn't be more different. Every gun is cared for and very rarely does anything happen, and when it does, they have put it right. Having got to know the people there very well, I couldn't recommend Birmingham highly enough.

• 2 months later...

Is the current requirement for moderators to be proofed still as vague as it was a decade ago? I`ve got some that are and some that are not , my Firearms admin say they should be and I know other counties never used to require moderator proofing, quite frustrating when you want to stay on the right side of the law but dont want to pay over the odds unnecessarily for moderators that are proofed.

+1

and neither does your barrel if you have it screw cut to accept one, providing it doesn't materially affect the pressure capacity/integrity of the barrel, which it won't unless a particularly stupid thread size is chosen which leaves little barrel left!

Archived