6 BR

paratrooper

Fed 205 match

Lab tests tend to show consistent 'flash' differences between brands-and eg BR/Magnum/ standard primers. Mv measures too show differnces. Laurie here has done extensive testing,for sound practical implications.

All that said,there is not complete uniformity in the correclation of these measures (flash/temperature etc) and actual target performance. There are also brand variations in whether the 'premium' primers offer consistent efective benefits. Let alone \cost effectiveness'-though that has to allow for differnt needs/standatds etc...and costs!

So,there are differnces,a little room for 'only better production specs'-whatever that means,but fairly reliable differences too,that the prudent shooter (whatever that means!!) had best not ignore.... :-)

The right 'grade' of primer seems sensible-check out what the top shooters use.

gbal

So,there are differnces,a little room for 'only better production specs'-whatever that means,but fairly reliable differences too,that the prudent shooter (whatever that means!!) had best not ignore.... :-)

The right 'grade' of primer seems sensible-check out what the top shooters use.

gbal

I was referring to the fact that some manufacturers of various products have one production line.

They batch test or quality control each batch. The batches with the best performance gets branded as "Model X Premium", the worst performance ones branded as " Model Basic Plinking" and every thing in between as "best value performance".

In an ideological world every item in every batch would have exactly the same performance.

I was not sure whether there are any design difference between standard primers and the bench rest variances

I was referring to the fact that some manufacturers of various products have one production line.

They batch test or quality control each batch. The batches with the best performance gets branded as "Model X Premium", the worst performance ones branded as " Model Basic Plinking" and every thing in between as "best value performance".

In an ideological world every item in every batch would have exactly the same performance.

I was not sure whether there are any design difference between standard primers and the bench rest variances

RR best google "Rifle primer flash tests" Idon't know how a'prod batch could be tested for better than spec manufacture-but the tests will show I think that reputable makers have differnt specs for the different grades of promer they make-though there is not absoluteuniformity between makers. But 'all in one batch' then sort out later isn't how they are made.Ofte they cant be distinguished externally-eg in softness of copper.Using a box with BR on it won't (normally) transform groups-if only- but there are real gains in matching primer type (ie specs) to cartride,sometimes,and conditions (extreme cold-but rare in UK-in consistency ( seldom though does only one primer absolutely dominate what the serious guys use-but see Precision Rifle blog-what the pro's use-primers. There is some science,but when I was about 10,iIread the guru of the day (early 50's) -Warren Page- "it's differences of opinion that make for horse races"-one of the earliest "horse for courses" insights.

...and yes,I've heard the club 'experts' say its only a matter of picking out the good ones.(ask them how-and how did differences get there?...but be gentle....if they say "Six Sigma",have a look at their targets -bench rest ie sub .25 moa for every 5 shots?....if yes,listen. :-)

Look esp at Laurie Holland's "ultimate LR primer test' Accurate Shooter bulletin june 3 2015 and

James Calhoun "Primers and pressure' Vaarmint hunter oct 1995

Should give you the answers.

g

• 8 months later...

Archived