Ruger Precision Rifle

phaedra1106uk

Anyone with a Ruger Precision Rifle had problems with light primer strikes?.

Finally had mine out for a decent session during the week and ended up with 28/100 light strikes, primer indent looked perfectly OK to me and all fired on a second strike.

I've discounted the primers (Murom) as I've been using the same batch of 12,000 in 4 other rifles over the last 3 years without a single problem. We were also shooting my T3 and Steyr with ammo using primers from the same 1000 box.

Spoke to my RFD who put me in touch with Derek at Viking who's asked for photos of the failures, unfortunately my son kindly de-capped all the cases we'd used. I'm shooting again tomorrow and have 3 lots of primers loaded, CCI, Magtech and the Murom so will see what happens.

Only things I've found on the net are a missing push pin allowing the firing pin to move (mine is fitted ok) and a couple of people needing the firing pin replaced.

Sorry I cant help you in the RPR issue, but where are you getting such stocks of KVB7's? Im really struggling up here for them....

No, KBV7's, these are from the same batch that have worked perfectly in 4 other rifles.

Primers from the same box of 1,000 I opened about 3 weeks ago are working 100% in my other 2 rifles.

I just measured the firing pin protrusion, it's .05", someone on Snipers hide has a similar problem and his measures .059" http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5514-bolt-action-rifles/13955138-new-ruger-precison-bolt-action-rifle?page=65

Just going through that now with Davy (Ovenpaa).

Tried the sticky tape on the back of the case test on both the Ruger (only have FLS cases) and my Tikka T3 with new and FLS cases.

The Ruger needed a fair bit of effort to close the bolt and you could feel it compressing the tape. Strangely the Tikka closed on both lots of cases with little effort and it's never had a problem with light strikes, the firing pin on that measures .064"

• 2 weeks later...

OK, adjusted out my FLS die to give minimum headspace of .001" and still got a couple of light strikes.

I know a few people have had problems with the firing pin retaining roll pin being missing but mine is def. there.

Could any other RPR owners measure their firing pin protrusion as a comparison?, I know .05" should be OK but it's right on the bottom end of the range.

Bolt is perfectly clean, fully stripped it and ran it in the ultrasonic tank to be sure, flushed it out and gave a very, very light application of CLP. Only thing that stands out is the firing pin measurement.

I know .05" should be OK but it's right on the bottom end, all of my other rifles are over .062". I'm trying to get another box of factory ammo to rule out my die settings but I'm certain the cases are being head spaced correctly, with a piece of .0015" feeler gauge behind the case the bolt won't close.

• 2 weeks later...

Just going through that now with Davy (Ovenpaa).

Tried the sticky tape on the back of the case test on both the Ruger (only have FLS cases) and my Tikka T3 with new and FLS cases.

The Ruger needed a fair bit of effort to close the bolt and you could feel it compressing the tape. Strangely the Tikka closed on both lots of cases with little effort and it's never had a problem with light strikes, the firing pin on that measures .064"

Forget sticky tape.

Rifles are proofed with go and no go gauges at the proof house. Its either in, or it isn't.

I cringe when i read the yanks chambering with sticky tape on the back of a go gauge.

Its a bodge, and has no place in precision engineering.

Get hold of a no go and check it correctly. Failing that, some good quality shim stock, that can be mike'd and checked, and use that at the back of the Go gauge.

Judging by the build quality of these rifles, the headspace could be anywhere. I've fitted several brakes to these of late, and every one had an out of spec muzzle thread. So much so, i,ve shelved a plan to have a batch of brakes made, as they simply could not be sold mail order for the customer to fit, even on a class 2A thread.

Ruger do not appear to use a thread ring gauge.

If you have no access to gauges, and fancy a trip to Barnsley, i'll check it for you.

Thanks for the very kind offer, unfortunately Barnsley is about twice my driving range nowadays (disabilities), I could come by train but they aren't keen on firearms!.

I ditched the sticky tape and used 1 & 1.5 thou" feeler gauges cut into disks by my friends son behind the cases.

I adjusted the dies slightly out until the re-sized cases (fire formed in my chamber) would allow the bolt to close normally with the 1 thou" and with some force using the 1.5. This has considerably reduced the amount of light strikes, I got 2 out of the last 100 rounds. Given that others seem to have firing pins that are 10 to 13thou" longer than mine this should be the answer, if not it can go back to Viking.

Again thank you for the very kind offer :)

Ruger 'not so' Precision Rifle.....

Archived