Issue with bolt lift

pcon

Hi guys and gals,

I've just cleaned my Ftr gun and now I seem to have upset it ...

It's a Savage 110 action and the bolt is working very smooth on closing and on lift ... until it is fired (using a snap cap), then the bolt lift becomes very heavy, much heavier than it was before I cleaned it. What have I done to upset it and what do I do now??

Thanks in advance,

Pcon

Well, I'm not a gunsmith, but, logically, the heavy lift is because the bolt lugs are firmly pushing against the rear of the chamber. Could it be that after firing your bolt moves backwards (even minimally) due to the movement of the trigger shear, and that creates extra friction that explains the stiff lift? Very simplistic and probably wrong, but I'm sure the gunsmiths here will illuminate us both :)

best of luck

Finman

A thought. When I received my first custom 260 Rem, Russell Gall was most insistent that I lubed the bolt lugs and provided me with some lube for this purpose. It may be that your bolt lugs and bolt lug recess are sparkling clean and need a small amount of lube? I now apply a smidgen of lube to the rear facing face of the bolt lugs.

Regards

JCS

A thought. When I received my first custom 260 Rem, Russell Gall was most insistent that I lubed the bolt lugs and provided me with some lube for this purpose. It may be that your bolt lugs and bolt lug recess are sparkling clean and need a small amount of lube? I now apply a smidgen of lube to the rear facing face of the bolt lugs.

Regards

JCS

This is exactly what id try first

Regards

JCS

Hi there,

Could I just ask what the lube is called and where I might be able to get some from for my new rifle, before it gets its first outing, please?

Cheers. Paul

Galling on lugs or abuttments, and or galling on secondary cam could be the issue.

Could also just be lack of lubricant

Could be dirt ingress into firing pin shroud

Stuart Anslem is the expert here on Savage rifles

Without examining the rifle its hard to say exactly what the issue is

• 3 weeks later...

The answer seemed to be ....... to clean ..... gave everything a good lube, especially the lugs and cam and hey presto she's back. Thanks a lot lads.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived